PDA

View Full Version : Fear of sexual thoughts about family members

NoNameNoFace
01-08-16, 21:01
For the longest time I can think of I've had depression and anxiety of some sort, though it's never been diagnosed. Lately, and by lately I mean since around April, I've had a plauging thought that seems to come and go about sexual acts with a family member. They're things that disgust me, don't turn me on, and all around I find sickening to think about. However they sometimes plague my mind and I can't stop thinking about them like a constant, weighing hell that never wants to let up. I'm terrified of becoming aroused and it's worse when I am aroused and with a partner and the thoughts come to my mind, and I start worrying I'm only aroused because of them. I've been trying so hard to just move past this and get over the thoughts but they're around and now somehow linked to my anxiety. When I get anxious I think of it no matter the circumstances, and it's to the point where I feel weak and just don't want to fight anymore. I've had to call a suicide hotline due to this in the past (though I didn't want to kill myself) because it was so overwhelming and I desperately needed somebody to talk too.

I know I am not aroused by these thoughts because for one I'm gay, and the person in question is the opposite gender. It's linked to a particular kink that I find myself slightly ashamed of so I wonder if it's related to that. I feel really alone a lot of the time and even when I talk to my boyfriend or friends I trust about it I still feel alone and helpless and like nothing can help me. It's been so long that I worry it'll never go away.

Reala
02-08-16, 13:42
This is very common... I've seen it discussed many, many times on here.

http://www.steveseay.com/sexual-obsessions-ocd/

eeyorelover
05-08-16, 03:51
I'm so sorry you have been dealing with this. Any kind of intrusive thoughts can just be exhausting.
The thing that helped me was to first keep telling myself a few things:
Thoughts don't define me!
Thinking a thing doesn't make me a bad person!
Thoughts and actions are 2 different things. Just because I think something does not mean I would ever act on it.
So I would use a positive affirmation above to counteract the thought and then redirect my thinking to something else. Anything else!
Gradually my intrusive thoughts have gotten less frequent.
You are not alone!!
xxx