PDA

View Full Version : Down and out - brain tumour or hypochondriac?

helenhoo
02-08-16, 08:57
I'm a 25 year old massive hypochondriac but I wonder if I should worry. I have stressed about three big things during my health anxiety bout. First there was Brain aneurysm fear which last few months, then it was melanoma which was a few months and now it's Brain tumour.

Why I worry? Started when id wake up with tingles in right leg as I slept on it, turns out it was boyfriends bed. I get tingles and twitches in other parts of body mostly when anxious. I also worry I can smell things that aren't there, this has become an obsession and making me really nervous. Sometimes I'll smell something but so can someone else. If they don't I panic. 99% of the time there is a source for smell and/or someone else can smell it too. Worse in my new office which smells fresh still.

I had eyes tested recently and backs of my eyes are healthy. I had bloods done few months back. Good signs right? But does any of what I've said indicate a Timor?

GadGirl
02-08-16, 09:35
Helen, you have just left one post and made another where you have been given advice from loads of people over about 13 pages...

You have admitted yourself your a hypochondriac. None of us here are doctors so wouldn't be able to tell you if you had some
Sort of physical illness. Only a doctor can do that. However what we can all tell you is you have major anxiety.

I myself throughout the years have had thoughts of what if it's:

Melananoma
Brain tumour
HIV
Heart failure
Brain Annuyrism

Plus proberly a lot more.

At the end of the day like I said on the last post you are basically adding every little feeling every little symptom you have and trying to convince yourself you have something more than just anxiety. Tinnitus and everything else you mention is all symptoms of stress and anxiety I had Tinnitus 24/7 and have done for ages. I get off balance sometimes too, all these things you mention are not a sign of a brain tumour. I have watched someone die from a brain tumour and trust me you don't have one.

Your going to go on and on with this obsession, till something else comes along and you will be obsessing about that. You need professional help something that NMP can not offer.

You have answered your own question you are a major hypochondriac. Nothing more or less.

Gary A
02-08-16, 09:45
Honestly, what is the point in abandoning a thread in which these exact things are discussed, and creating another one?

This is what pisses people off. You really are simply ignoring what's been written and starting all over again, aren't you? At a certain point it begins to look like nothing more than attention seeking.

You seem like a smart person, so please, stop acting silly. At least try and keep this type of thing in one thread, for goodness sake.

Fishmanpa
02-08-16, 10:03
In you previous post about the same thing you said:

See I have that mentality and then I will have a twitch, or I'll have some random tinnitus or I'll think I smell something and then it's back to square one. That's the stage I need help getting over.

I replied:

You need a professional to help you get over that stage and start on the healing road Reb. It's really not going to happen on a forum I assure you. On the contrary, this is making you worse and you've admitted to as much.

So what are you going to do? The decision and choice is totally up to you.

I see you've made your choice :dry:

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
02-08-16, 10:11
I've made an appointment to speak to my GP this week. Last time the nurse was very stern and wtf so if a medical person thinks that maybe I need to realise I'm mad. I've googled smelling things and it isn't how I describe. Smells with BT tends to be a unique smell and there often. I think I hypersensitive as I smell 30 different things a day and worry and seek out the cause. That's not normal. I worried o saw lights flickering but realised it was the light sensor going off/on.

MyNameIsTerry
02-08-16, 10:17
I'm going to ask you the same, Reb.

So, what is your next step, Reb?

Are you going to commit to trying something aimed at your anxiety? You know you have anxiety, you've said it yourself before. So, why not look at it this way - even IF for some strange reason you had anything you feared (which none of us believe you have), then why would getting treatment for the anxiety you know you have already be not worth it?

You said it was embarrassing. So, why not see how that made you feel and make a decision that you don't want to keep feeling like that and something else must be better? If you try and nothing happens, what have you lost? But what if you try and feel better, what have you gained?

What do you think, Reb?

You know you have anxiety. Which form, is something that needs determining by a medical professional. Hypochondriac is an old fashioned term that they largely don't use these days because mental health has substantially moved on but whether this is GAD, OCD or a Somatoform Disorder - it will be one of them.

Have you ever looked at someone else's worries on here? It's often easier to look outside of your own case and determine why somebody else's worries are irrational and point to what they need to do. When someone moves from one cancer to another like that, it's classic anxiety. If you looked at someone else doing the same, I think you would literally pick it straight out and tell them they have nothing to worry about.

The question you need to ask is to yourself. Am I suffering from anxiety? Not a question to us, a question to yourself. Write it down. Write down all about this and then read it back a few times and come to a conclusion. Do you have anxiety? Then the question is, what can you do about it? At this point you engage with a GP and it goes from there. The forum is here to support you through that but only you can make that step.

Fishmanpa
02-08-16, 10:17
I've made an appointment to speak to my GP this week.

Date and time? Yes, there will be a quiz and a full report is expected.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
02-08-16, 10:20
I've made an appointment to speak to my GP this week. Last time the nurse was very stern and wtf so if a medical person thinks that maybe I need to realise I'm mad. I've googled smelling things and it isn't how I describe. Smells with BT tends to be a unique smell and there often. I think I hypersensitive as I smell 30 different things a day and worry and seek out the cause. That's not normal. I worried o saw lights flickering but realised it was the light sensor going off/on.

Have you read about how fight or flight changes smell? A couple of us posted links to threads about it. In one of them was a couple of clinical studies which confirmed how anxiety changes how we smell things and can create smells that aren't there.

This is the trouble is a biased view, Reb, you miss out the most likely because you are searching to confirm your fears. The simple question is always, have you searched for EVERY possible reason? If the answer is no, you haven't done what a doctor would do to rule things out and therefore will jump to conclusions.

Fight or flight changes our senses. We smell bad things that others perceive as having no smell. Nasty smells become nastier. Light becomes more intense. Sound becomes more defined. It's all to save us from that bear. As you start to bring your constant anxiety down, this goes on it's own. You know what you need to do to get that part going and it's good to hear you have now booked an appointment with a GP. Print stuff off or right it down BUT the worst you can do is allow the GP to get side-tracked with your fears and come out with nothing to tackle your anxiety.

GadGirl
02-08-16, 10:21

Your not mad.. But if a medical preoffesional is telling you there is no cause for concern then you should really acknowledge that and not ignore it. Again you have just answered your own question your hypersensitive so you will notice every little thing. You need to stay away from Google.. Google is not your friend if you do feel like typing in to google instead of typing "[insert symptom here] try putting anxiety on the end of it and trust me everything you mentioned will show as an anxiety symptom. When you go to your GP I hope it's not to give them another long list of symptoms but to ask for a referral for some therapy or psychology

anx mum
02-08-16, 11:43
Hi helen, just read your thread and I gotta say I feel for u. I myself am going through hellat the moment physically and emotionally. I've been getting headaches for 5months constantly. I share your fears living with these fears physically and mentally is draining.
I feel nmp is a help forum. I myself have posted more than I should what's the problem? Helen clearly needs help no we ain't doctors but come on if it winds u up so much than don't reply. Shouldn't be about how much u post. Helen will pm ux

Mercime
02-08-16, 12:17
Hi helen, just read your thread and I gotta say I feel for u. I myself am going through hellat the moment physically and emotionally. I've been getting headaches for 5months constantly. I share your fears living with these fears physically and mentally is draining.
I feel nmp is a help forum. I myself have posted more than I should what's the problem? Helen clearly needs help no we ain't doctors but come on if it winds u up so much than don't reply. Shouldn't be about how much u post. Helen will pm ux

If the poster acknowledged that there issues are anxiety based, then surely it's the right thing to do to focus answers on helping them address that anxiety? Isn't that helping?

ServerError
02-08-16, 12:19
But does any of what I've said indicate a Timor?

If you'd have said that you feel like a tiny, poverty-stricken former Portuguese colony that achieved independence from Indonesia in 1999 after a brutal war, I'd say it's indicative of East Timor, yes.

Gary A
02-08-16, 12:31

The problem is that requesting reassurance is safety seeking behaviour. This is part of the cycle of anxiety. If you don't break the cycle, you'll remain in a state of anxiety.

Yes it's a help forum, that's why people are trying to discourage her from keeping the cycle up. In the long run, that will help her far more than "aw honey you'll be fine, post as much as you want."

MyNameIsTerry
02-08-16, 12:53
If you'd have said that you feel like a tiny, poverty-stricken former Portuguese colony that achieved independence from Indonesia in 1999 after a brutal war, I'd say it's indicative of East Timor, yes.

Now that is an irrational one! :D

I've heard of feeling like a wet weekend in Grimsby before before never this one.

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Yep, that's what Admin keep telling us all.

pulisa
02-08-16, 12:58

With respect, here's the reason Reb/Helenhoo is comfortable on NMP. Therapy may not be quite as cosy

helenhoo
02-08-16, 18:50
Can I ask: obvious anxiety about a sisters boyfriend breaking into a house while you're home alone (when he's done it three times last week) isn't a personality change. It's normal to be highly anxious right. I said to my boyfriend I worried he'd kill me. Likely exaggerated statement but the ex boyfriend has been very violent to sister in the past.

Just let me know I'm not going mad

Gary A
02-08-16, 18:57
Can I ask: obvious anxiety about a sisters boyfriend breaking into a house while you're home alone (when he's done it three times last week) isn't a personality change. It's normal to be highly anxious right. I said to my boyfriend I worried he'd kill me. Likely exaggerated statement but the ex boyfriend has been very violent to sister in the past.

I don't know about you, but I think you're driving a fair few of us mad with this absolute nonsense.

For the love of God, stop trying to find reasons to convince yourself that you have a brain tumour. Your reasoning is now bordering on bizarre.

Fishmanpa
02-08-16, 19:14

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
02-08-16, 19:23
I do wonder if I am smelling tipex randomly. I thought I'd linked it to air con at work (gives off funky smell) but I thought I smelt it for a . Of a second just walking home.

Carrie8484
02-08-16, 20:28
No, you aren't smelling tippex randomly.

When is your Dr's apt?

Mercime
02-08-16, 20:29
I don't know about you, but I think you're driving a fair few of us mad with this absolute nonsense.

For the love of God, stop trying to find reasons to convince yourself that you have a brain tumour. Your reasoning is now bordering on bizarre.

Gary, before you implode..Reb/Helen isn't taking any notice of you whatsoever. She's got a GP appt, so until she's had that appt, I think maybe take a leaf from Fishman's book, and not engage with the posts that are driving you nuts. It's a pointless exercise. Just a gentle nudge:winks:

Fishmanpa
02-08-16, 20:44

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
02-08-16, 20:45
Thursday.

and after all the worry that started this brain tumour worry (marching on spot test) turns out my result is considered normal. I'm not a neurologist but I watched a video and it says if it's over a certain degree of movement that's when you are referred for further tests. . .

I doubt anyone can march on a spot and not move at all.

Man I am crazy.

Fishmanpa
02-08-16, 20:47
Thursday..

Time? Yes, there will be a quiz and a full report is expected.

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
02-08-16, 20:55
5.30pm

Fishmanpa
02-08-16, 20:58
Take note peeps. Thursday at 5:30pm. Thank you for answering.

Please print out and take a few of your recent threads to show the doctor. It will help explain a lot to your doctor and more than perhaps you're capable of right now.

I'll be asking how it went so be ready :shades:

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
02-08-16, 21:29
Is tinnitus when you close the ear and can still hear the sound? And anything else is outside sound? Not sure if it's tv buzzing as I can't hear it when I close earZ

Gary A
02-08-16, 22:25
Is tinnitus when you close the ear and can still hear the sound? And anything else is outside sound? Not sure if it's tv buzzing as I can't hear it when I close earZ

Tinnitus is a constant high pitched ringing sound in your ear. It is there whether you close your ear or not.

Just stop.

MyNameIsTerry
02-08-16, 23:05

I found that at higher levels of anxiety that it can turn to paranoia. Fight or flight is just looking for more potential dangers so they are often seen together.

There is obviously a valid concern over the ex BF here and I would suggest you talk to someone about the possible steps you can take, ideally the police.

Fishmanpa
02-08-16, 23:18
Question: Why no mention of your doctor's appointment on the other sites when everyone is telling you to go to the doctor?

Surely, mentioning that in light of all the advice would make sense would it not?

Positive thoughts