PDA

View Full Version : Taking antibiotics

jimsmum21
02-08-16, 12:43
I've been poorly over the weekend with toothache/pain, went to the emergency dentist on sunday because my face was swollen, and she said I have an abscess,she drained it as much as she could and gave me a prescription for amoxicillin, this is where my problem is, I'm scared to take the tablets in case i have one of the reactions mentioned in the little paper that comes with them, I keep working myself up to take them, then get to the tablets and chicken out, everyone say's I'm being silly, but that doesn't really help, Has anyone got any advice for me please x:mad:

Fishmanpa
02-08-16, 12:47
Take. Your. Meds! Amoxicillin is one of, if the "the" safest and most widely used antibiotics on the market.

The alternative is to risk further infection, pain and dental issues.

Positive thoughts

jimsmum21
02-08-16, 12:55
ok, I'm off to take the 1st one now, thank you x

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

I've taken it, so now for panic for the next 4 hours, if I'm still ok after that, then i'll take the next one, and hoepfully I'll be looking back in a couple of days thinking what was all the fuss about lol, I was the same when I was given iron tablet's, got myself in a right state, and after all my worrying I did'nt even have the constipation that most people get, let alone any other side effects :P x

Mojo61
02-08-16, 12:58
Amoxicillin is VERY safe and widely prescribed. Unless you have a penicillin allergy you will be perfectly fine to take them.

The drug companies are just trying to cover their backs against litigation. They will list every possible side effect, including extremely rare ones. If you look at the patient information leaflet on a packet of headache tablets it will say one of the side effects is headaches! You have to laugh really.....

jimsmum21
02-08-16, 13:08
This is true, a friend of mine has just started on tablets for depression, and it say's may cause suicidal thought's !!!!!
I know what you mean about covering their back :winks:

Carrie8484
02-08-16, 15:57
Take the Amoxicillin - I'm sensitive to meds and I never get side effects from it

jimsmum21
02-08-16, 20:34
Thanks, I've taken 2 now, so hopefully i'll be ok, I know how irrational it sounds, but hey, that's what HA does to you :weep: