PDA

View Full Version : Questions for folks with Anxiety Related stomach/digestive issues

lofwyr
03-08-16, 14:42
Hard to believe that with over 30 years of anxiety under the belt, I have had very few stomach issues. That seems to be another notch in the anxiety belt now, however.

My stomach began hurting when I helped my daughter move 5 days ago. It hurts worse when I am hungry, but it hurts intermittently. I am almost 100% sure it is anxiety over my daughter moving so far away for the first time, but I am by definition, an anxious person, and anxiety is not grounded in rational thought. In the back of my mind, the what ifs churn.

So, for those with more experience than I with stomach issues, a few questions for this 30 year anxiety sufferer, stomach ailment noob:
1. Sometimes it just seems to hurt a bit, and it does seem sensitive to pressure (meaning if I push on it, it hurts a bit more). Is that unusual?
2. Can abdominal pain be tied (muscularly) to back pain? Because my back is a mess right now.
3. Any remedies for anxiety related stomach issues?
4. My symptoms seems to fluctuate between gas type pain, dull aches, pain to the touch (but not always) but most, if not all of my discomfort seems localized in the upper right quadrant just below my ribs. And the pain seems worse when I am hungry, but it doesnt always hurt when I am hungry.

Thanks for hearing me out. I don't know how to put abdominal discomfort into words too well, but while not overly worried, and recognizing anxiety for what it is, and that I am suffering a bit with it, I think I am able to put this off to anxiety. But then, "what if?" It must be amazing to have a healthy mind that is only anxious when you need it to be. I am not sure mine has ever been like that.

andysa
04-08-16, 04:57
Why don't you head to the doctors as it sounds a little bit like a hernia :
common symptoms of an inguinal hernia include:

pain or discomfort in the affected area (usually the lower abdomen), especially when bending over, coughing, or lifting.
weakness, pressure, or a feeling of heaviness in the abdomen.
a burning, gurgling, or aching sensation at the site of the bulge.