PDA

View Full Version : Any recovery (non-med) stories?

helenhoo
04-08-16, 07:36
I'm moving country in a few months. I've beat this before and controlled it other times but I feel I'm on a spiral scrambling to get off. Has anyone got any 'I did it myself' stories. Please don't recommend meds because I don't want/don't have time.

I was even worrying my anxiety was a brain tumour *eye roll* had blood test to rule out anything it was normal.

ServerError
04-08-16, 07:47
You're within your rights to choose not to take medication, but may I ask why you're so opposed?

helenhoo
04-08-16, 07:56
Because to me it's like I'm relying on a tablet to make me feel better rather than learn to control it myself.

ServerError
04-08-16, 07:58
Because to me it's like I'm relying on a tablet to make me feel better rather than learn to control it myself.

I have no objection to that point of view. You can recover without the tablets if you want to and I understand where you're coming from.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-16, 08:10
There are plenty of stories out there. Google will reveal many but obviously be wary of those selling "cures", many of them are fake.

The Success Stories board has plenty you can read. Not all are people getting better but are rather successes in something they've started or got through an event, etc. Traceypoo would be a good one to look at as she is an active HA person on here and getting great success.

There are some blogs on the Success Stories board too if you have a look through.

Also, you could try cpe1978's blog:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167076

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 ----------

Here's is Tracey's:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=184564

I found this a good blog on the Success Stories board:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=179636

There is always SE's own story which he wrote on here not too long ago, I'm sure he will redirect you to it.

Beckybecks
04-08-16, 08:15
I made the decision to stop taking meds many years ago. I don't think they really helped much anyway, except temporarily , but I never felt in control while taking them.
I've tried lots of things since and what I find has helped the most is CBT, distraction, physical exercise and routine in my life. I find helping people in need takes me out of myself, stops me focusing on little things that might cause me anxiety. Being alone too much is a big No-no

ServerError
04-08-16, 08:16
I'm actually working on a post now regarding my story. It goes over old ground somewhat and does involve some mention of medication, and is very long, but it may be of some help when it appears.

pulisa
04-08-16, 08:26
My advice would be that you have to stop focussing on yourself and your symptoms on here. If you like being on NMP try and help other people rather than continually talking about your ever spiralling symptoms. Never fall into the trap of comparing symptoms with anyone else as you'll end up talking about yourself again.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-16, 08:31
My advice would be that you have to stop focussing on yourself and your symptoms on here. If you like being on NMP try and help other people rather than continually talking about your ever spiralling symptoms. Never fall into the trap of comparing symptoms with anyone else as you'll end up talking about yourself again.

Yep, I have found it a great helper. It can help your self esteem and fight against feelings of worthlessness and...

I've tried lots of things since and what I find has helped the most is CBT, distraction, physical exercise and routine in my life. I find helping people in need takes me out of myself, stops me focusing on little things that might cause me anxiety. Being alone too much is a big No-no

...if you do it for long enough you will find you are less anxious because you have been distracted. :yesyes:

helenhoo
04-08-16, 09:38
Righty now for instance I feel the slightest tiniest bit lightheaded but I know coffee does this to me. I'm hoping to learn distraction methods. What else helps you all? (Have read those posts thanks terry)

Mercime
04-08-16, 09:56
Reading the posts again that Terry has highlighted, staying off the HA board completely, and looking for other posts where you can make a difference to someone who needs help. You say you are at work so I'm assuming that will take up some of your time, the rest is up to you.
Reading anything non symptom related, artwork, meditation (guides on net), listening to music or "healing" sounds. I'm more than happy to respond to any of your posts that are like this, but won't respond to any queries about symptoms, as it keeps you in the spiral. Hopefully others will do likewise, and encourage you when you head in the right direction. Sounds sanctimonious but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Very much looking forward to reading what SE puts together, I'm sure it will be really helpful.

PS - You have your appt with the GP to discuss getting help with your HA today? I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on, and which referral he is making.

helenhoo
04-08-16, 10:26
I don't think I want to/should be referred as I have two months in this country then I'm off South Korea! So ideally want to take control other ways.

Mercime
04-08-16, 10:52
Why not? What difference does that make? If you really are looking for help, you'll try anything - and you might be seen quickly, assessed and work started.
Failing that, there are lots of online CBT resources that you could be using. Your problem will get right on the plane with you if you don't address it.

Gary A
04-08-16, 11:52
How about listening to the part of you that always seems to rationally explain things? You say you feel slightly lightheaded right now, but coffee does that to you. You've previously said that you can smell certain odours, which worried you, but at the same time others could smell them too. Hitting your boyfriend when you were drunk worried you, but you know being drunk vastly changes anyone's personality.

There really are countless other examples of you presenting an assumed symptom, offering a very rational and level headed reason for said symptoms, then ignoring those reasons and asking us for some other form of reassurance, when you already had the answer in your own head.

You need to start challenging your own negative thought processes. You have the tools already at your disposal, but you simply refuse to use them. It will not happen overnight, but you simply must start at least trying to accept your own rationality.

tp821634
04-08-16, 12:11
I'm not on any meds bar some tablets to control the phsical symptoms i get (IBS induced diarrhea when i get really anxious), so they are just there to control that side of things.

I'm currently having hypnotherapy session and they seem to be helping quite a bit.

As people have said, its all about positive thoughts.

I realise now that i have been focusing on the negative. My problem arises when traveling, but i can look back and realise i make 100 trips and have 1 issue, yet thats the trip i remember.

helenhoo
04-08-16, 12:23
It's like at the moment I'm worrying about my eyes at work & conwrned if computer is too close/far away. Why? Probably because I'm seeing logic on other things. I had eyes tested three weeks back do surely anything. Wrong with eyes would've been picked up then. He said I was slightly long sighted is all.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-16, 12:23
I'm not on any meds bar some tablets to control the phsical symptoms i get (IBS induced diarrhea when i get really anxious), so they are just there to control that side of things.

I'm currently having hypnotherapy session and they seem to be helping quite a bit.

As people have said, its all about positive thoughts.

I realise now that i have been focusing on the negative. My problem arises when traveling, but i can look back and realise i make 100 trips and have 1 issue, yet thats the trip i remember.

Yep, that's exactly how the survival response is designed to work. Negatives are stronger because they are there to protect us but sadly that system was designed for a harsher world.

This is where it's learnt behaviour. The trouble is, positive/neutral responses don't impact on us at that deep level like those negatives do. It can be hard applying therapy at first because nothing seems to change but it's because of how our brains work in removing a response that is supposed to be designed to be more important.

tp821634
04-08-16, 12:27
Yep, that's exactly how the survival response is designed to work. Negatives are stronger because they are there to protect us but sadly that system was designed for a harsher world.

This is where it's learnt behaviour. The trouble is, positive/neutral responses don't impact on us at that deep level like those negatives do. It can be hard applying therapy at first because nothing seems to change but it's because of how our brains work in removing a response that is supposed to be designed to be more important.

breaking the cycle always seems harder than creating it :mad:

pulisa
04-08-16, 12:31
What is the point of going to the GP if you don't want to be referred for therapy? Is it an appointment to discuss one of your symptoms?

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-16, 12:53
What is the point of going to the GP if you don't want to be referred for therapy? Is it an appointment to discuss one of your symptoms?

Very true. What can they do? They only have meds or therapy to choose from.

I really do think Reb needs therapy but her trip is going to be a big problem there. CBT can take months to access and then it's months to do it. She may be able to access Guided Self Help but that can take a month, maybe less, but the course can be a month or so.

If Reb's going abroad to stay, rather than a short holiday, I'm skeptical therapy is achievable now. I don't want to be negative here but it sounds like environmental factors are going to take over. If so, Reb also needs to look towards online CBT but not through the NHS as they may stop funding it when abroad (ask your GP about that as they have to arrange your funding).

Despite being a bad news bear, I still think you should talk to your GP about you're anxiety and ask if there is any help available to you.

Fishmanpa
04-08-16, 13:00
My advice would be that you have to stop focusing on yourself and your symptoms on here.

That would be my advice as well. The internet/Googling and the forums you're part of are feeding your anxiety and digging you deeper and deeper.

I know you said "no meds" but frankly I feel they would be a Godsend to you. You're own willpower is not doing it as you've been in a spiral for over a year! It doesn't need to be forever, just a little while to give your mind a break and help you get to a place where you can do it on your own. When I suffered with some depression after my illnesses. I went to therapy and took Zoloft for 6 months. It was the "crutch" I needed until I could walk on my own. There's NO SHAME in taking a medication to help you. I literally take 10+ medications. Blood thinners, BP meds, beta blockers, meds for nerve pain, cholesterol etc. I don't want to be on them but they do for me what my body cannot do for itself. Meds for mental illness offer the same benefit for your mind and you don't have to be on them for life!

Read Server's post but before you do, look at his history. Same with cpe1978 in the stickies at the top of the page. I remember cpe thinking he had some deadly disease because there were bubbles when he peed! I (and he) can chuckle about it now but it was very real to him then.

So yeah... do a little more "constructive" reading as suggested and disconnect. This is hurting you more than you know and it's a helpless feeling as well as so painful to watch.

Good luck on the move. Once you get there and settle in, look into getting some treatment.

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

I don't think I want to/should be referred as I have two months in this country then I'm off South Korea! So ideally want to take control other ways.

Wait What?... You're joking right? More than anything you NEED to be referred... fast tracked even! Something, anything is better than where you're at!

Like I mentioned in your other post. Let us know what the doctor said, what you discussed and his recommendations. There will be a quiz later ;)

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-16, 13:15
No such thing as fast tracking here unless you are in danger and even then care can be sporadic as evidenced on this forum alone. Fast track is for those who want to pay to go private otherwise you have to be severe enough to warrant it and unfortunately the service you get sent to are there to deal with much more severe mental health issues like schizophrenia, psychosis, etc so anxiety is not a priority to them.

The fastest to access will be IAPT services and you go in a queue with everyone else. They practice no triage in those services I found. You get assessed quick enough and then they schedule the start of treatment. Guided Self Help is a possibility but fitting in a 12 weekly course of CBT is not going to happen (some are as little a 6 though) so I guess the provider will have to decide if they can offer a partial course?

Mercime
04-08-16, 13:18
I find it interesting that the forthcoming trip to South Korea has not been mentioned before this point, not sure if I'm incorrect? Is it a holiday or a permanent move Reb?

I think we have reached an impasse here. It is totally up to Reb what she chooses to discuss with her GP, and although it may seem pointless, it has to be better than just posting on here about symptoms. I note that you say you "don't want to" make an attempt with therapy or speaking about it because of this trip overseas. Is that another excuse not to deal with it?

I think we've said all that can possibly be said, advice aplenty. Reb, it's down to you.

KeeKee
04-08-16, 13:26
I was referred for help in September, started therapy in April. If helenhoo really is leaving in 2 months I don't think there's any point even going on the list. Like another post mentioned I'd mention anxiety to the doctor and see if there are any other options.

I don't blame you for not wanting meds and agree with the poster who said they felt they had no control whilst taking them. That is my experience, I took antidepressants for very nearly 6 years and would never go back. My health anxiety was at its worst whilst taking meds.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-16, 13:39
I find it interesting that the forthcoming trip to South Korea has not been mentioned before this point, not sure if I'm incorrect? Is it a holiday or a permanent move Reb?

I think we have reached an impasse here. It is totally up to Reb what she chooses to discuss with her GP, and although it may seem pointless, it has to be better than just posting on here about symptoms. I note that you say you "don't want to" make an attempt with therapy or speaking about it because of this trip overseas. Is that another excuse not to deal with it?

I think we've said all that can possibly be said, advice aplenty. Reb, it's down to you.

I can't remember how long for but I have seen it mentioned in other threads. I think she raised a thread about being worried about going abroad so it will most likely be on this board somewhere, it wasn't too long ago.

The online CBT through the NHS is provided with a support worker. I think that worker is an email support. If so, and if they will fund it, that could overlap. The trouble might be the funding but if her GP is going to retain her as a patient until she returns perhaps the trust will allow it?

Definitely worth exploring. Online may not be enough but who knows.

Carrie8484
04-08-16, 13:49
If you are moving away soon the only immediate option will be meds. I think you should do an experiment - try them, say for 4 weeks, stay off posting about symptoms on any website for 4 weeks, and instead use these sites as a support tool - NOT going on about your symptoms, but highlighting your progress and what you are actively doing each day to help yourself.
Also I agree about supporting others rather than focusing sole on yourself - look how much advice people have given you. Give them something back

ServerError
04-08-16, 13:51
I was referred for help in September, started therapy in April. If helenhoo really is leaving in 2 months I don't think there's any point even going on the list. Like another post mentioned I'd mention anxiety to the doctor and see if there are any other options.

I don't blame you for not wanting meds and agree with the poster who said they felt they had no control whilst taking them. That is my experience, I took antidepressants for very nearly 6 years and would never go back. My health anxiety was at its worst whilst taking meds.

Your experience on medication is perfectly valid and I'm sure it was a difficult time for you. However, for every negative experience, there are positive ones. I feel that anti-depressants contributed to saving my life. I know other people who take them and have felt a positive change.

There is a lot of debate around medication, including among mental health experts. The evidence as to their efficacy is not clear. However, what is clear as that they appear to help some and not others.

I feel that Reb's categorical decision to rule them out is a shame. Nobody on a forum can really say what is right or wrong for her in that regard. All we can do is share our experiences, whether positive or negative. What she really needs to do is discuss medication with her GP and weigh up the possibilities and then make an informed decision.

That said, I do respect the decision that anyone makes when it comes to medication.

pulisa
04-08-16, 13:57
I just wonder what made you decide to move to South Korea when your HA is dictating your life so much?

helenhoo
04-08-16, 14:40
My health anxiety has been an will be controlled. I'm not this bad 24/7 365, it's just like this at the moment. I'm worrying about smells again but one guy could smell marijuana and I thought it was the ominous tipex smell I think I can smell. How does phantom smells work? If I breathe in its not there, if I close nostrils and sniff it's not there.

Mercime
04-08-16, 14:51
I hope your GP appt in a couple hours goes well.

ServerError
04-08-16, 14:52
My health anxiety has been an will be controlled. I'm not this bad 24/7 365, it's just like this at the moment. I'm worrying about smells again but one guy could smell marijuana and I thought it was the ominous tipex smell I think I can smell. How does phantom smells work? If I breathe in its not there, if I close nostrils and sniff it's not there.

:weep:

KeeKee
04-08-16, 15:02
Your experience on medication is perfectly valid and I'm sure it was a difficult time for you. However, for every negative experience, there are positive ones. I feel that anti-depressants contributed to saving my life. I know other people who take them and have felt a positive change.

There is a lot of debate around medication, including among mental health experts. The evidence as to their efficacy is not clear. However, what is clear as that they appear to help some and not others.

I feel that Reb's categorical decision to rule them out is a shame. Nobody on a forum can really say what is right or wrong for her in that regard. All we can do is share our experiences, whether positive or negative. What she really needs to do is discuss medication with her GP and weigh up the possibilities and then make an informed decision.

That said, I do respect the decision that anyone makes when it comes to medication.

Yep of course there are. I'm not trying to negate anyone else's experiences as for the first year or so they helped me too. But long-term they were very detrimental.

I would never recommend anybody take or not to take medication as I am not a doctor and I don't think it's wise to do so. Like you say I can just give my experience.

But just because my experience was in the minority, doesn't mean it is any less valid (which I acknowledge you are not implying).

I think we should all take responsibility for ourselves and make an informed decision on what treatment we like. I also don't think any one thing will work for everybody. I also accept there are many different meds to take and whilst one may make matters worse, another could improve ones life massively.

I know of 2 people (including myself) who have experienced anxiety issues. For the other person, CBT helped massively. For myself, I feel like in regards to my Health Anxiety I just got fed up and although it still lingers (I have a worry right now but don't wish to post about it as I am able to ignore it most of the time), I can control the worry. I was 99% sure I had something in December. It spoiled my Christmas and everything. The doctor evaporated that fear in 20 seconds. That was the push I needed. I no longer jump to conclusions and only go and get checked if I have a real symptom that lasts at least 3 weeks (as advised by my first CBT therapist).

I honestly have no idea what would be the best option for helenhoo. None of us know her personally and if she has issues at home (I recall her saying she had relationship issues I think) then that could be exasperating the health anxiety.

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

I hope your GP appt in a couple hours goes well.

Seconded.

Gary A
04-08-16, 15:23

:lac:

I don't know why I bother, because you're taking absolutely zero notice, but if you can't smell it when you block your nostril, it isn't a phantom smell, it's just a smell.

You will not be happy until someone tells you that you have reason to be worried.

helenhoo
04-08-16, 16:03
Gary, my boyfriend hS said the same thing. There are smokers in the office and the smell was tobacco. I sit right next to a smoker who rolls up.

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

I am trying, I am.

pulisa
04-08-16, 16:55
Do you ever talk to your work colleagues about your symptoms? How do you manage to work if you are always posting on NMP?

Mercime
04-08-16, 17:03
Do you ever talk to your work colleagues about your symptoms? How do you manage to work if you are always posting on NMP?

I was wondering the same thing. They must be very tolerant as it's computer work.

Fishmanpa
04-08-16, 17:06
I was wondering the same thing. They must be very tolerant as it's computer work.

Even from a smart phone. To be on a phone all day certainly would create the same issues.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
04-08-16, 17:07
I doubt whether these questions will get a response.....

Mercime
04-08-16, 17:21
Well, I think (only personally though) that we concentrate on the outcome of the appt, hopefully the GP will have come up with a plan that Reb can start before she leaves.
Given the severity of her anxiety, and her choice to avoid meds, they will have come up with some resources she can access.

helenhoo
04-08-16, 17:24
I'm convinced I can smell the tipex!!!

Carrie8484
04-08-16, 17:26
Are you in the Dr's surgery waiting to be seen?

GadGirl
04-08-16, 17:49
How did your DR appointment go??

Mojo61
04-08-16, 18:02
Hi Helen. How did you get on with your doctor's appointment? I hope they gave you some help and perhaps referred you for counselling etc.

I trust you are feeling better now you've actually seen a GP? I hope they put your mind at rest xxx

GadGirl
04-08-16, 18:05
She didn't go.. Apparently it was a walk in appointment even after saying it was booked for 5.30pm a few days ago.

Mojo61
04-08-16, 18:05
Oh no! I was so hoping for a positive outcome :ohmy:

Gary A
04-08-16, 18:12
I'm convinced I can smell the tipex!!!

I can certainly smell something. Possibly a small rodent with pointy features.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-16, 23:00

It sounds unlikely but sadly it does go on. At my last place my boss was frequently on his iPhone on Facebook. It was a joke. Sadly if your manager isn't willing to stop you, some people will take the piss whether it's on the phone, Internet, standing around or chatting. In Reb's case it feeds her anxiety problem (not in the taking the piss category at all).