PDA

View Full Version : Stress overload, any coping methods?

Elad
04-08-16, 16:51
After a traumatic event last year I've found stress and anxiety just piling its way up and up. 10 weeks from now I will probably find myself the most stressed I've ever felt in my life. Up until now a lot of my stress has come from imagined situations, making out minor situations to be catastrophic when they're not and things that aren't even real. But the situation I find myself in is known to be a very daunting and stressful experience even to those not suffering from any mental health problems or anxiety.

I've tried to get out of the situation but I can't, I have no choice but to go through with it, the only escape would be death. When this gets piled onto the stress and anxiety I already face from my ill mental health I'm finding myself overwhelmed, I'm constantly lashing out at others although I'm mostly lashing out at myself through self harm.

I just really don't know how to cope right now and any advice would be appreciated, no matter how simple because I really don't have any healthy coping mechanisms right now. The only healthy coping mechanism I have right now is that if I'm awake late at night and feeling overwhelmed I'll go out into the garden hoping for a clear night sky, a nice cool breeze and a lovely cup of tea to go with it.

I have no current thoughts of suicide but I did attempt suicide a few months ago and even though I'm not currently suicidal I still hate that my unconscious brains idea was to leave the area I'd isolated myself in where I was then found and must have been acting strange. My next memory after I blanked was waking up in the ICU at my local hospital, I was asked by a psychologist what my first thoughts were when I woke up and realised what had happened. I was disappointed, I was angry at the human will to survive and should have tied myself to somewhere so that when I blacked out I couldn't seek help.

Buster70
04-08-16, 21:44
Hi there , sorry you feel so crap , not realy sure what the up coming event is I might be missing somthing , I've been through a whole load of stressful events recently and somehow you just get through , I've worried about my partners health for years and last week she attempted suicide she was in Hospital for few days and most of my other worries subsided , I felt strangely calm at times , reality had taken over all of the worries in my head and the problem was real , death isn't the only option , I'm sure you have people who care about you and would miss you , hang in there most things you dread are not as bad when they happen well I hope this is the case for you , take care .

Elad
05-08-16, 00:47
Thank you for the reply Buster70, you're not missing anything I just left out the "upcoming event". I was the victim of a crime and the court case is coming up in 10 weeks.

I know death isn't the only option but it's extremely stressful, I've tried to explain my mental health issues and the prosecution has already appealed twice for my evidence to be given without me there but the defence has objected both times. I've been warned that, although they really don't want to, if they think I might not attend to give evidence then they will have to issue a witness summons. I have a screen so the "defendant" won't be able to see me and I won't have to see him but it's still extremely scary.

It's not something I particularly like but I guess the phrase "Misery loves company" is true to some extent and it's helpful, and in a way reassuring, to know I'm not the only person struggling so much.

Buster70
05-08-16, 07:12
Hi , our justice system is so wrong that a victim is bullied and put through it all again just so the defence can try and get cases thrown out , I know the thought of it probably make you feel sick but you will get through it , maybe take a diazepam on the day to take the edge off , good luck with it hope it's not to traumatic .