PDA

View Full Version : Phantom smells

helenhoo
04-08-16, 22:46
I've been trying to read and I can't find much online

I've had 'phantom smells' - most of the time there is a source; someone has come back from a cigarette, cat litter tray near by, someone else points out the funky smell. But one that lasts with me is this tipex/paint smell I can smell once a day with a few days off. I thought it was because an office below mine was being worked on but I smell it still now and again. I have become so obsessed with this. So obsessed. I sniff all the time. Other times I'm scared to sniff. I know you all think I'm mad but I'm just scared now about this symptom.

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Someone said it can be a mini stroke/neuro ��

GadGirl
04-08-16, 23:17
You still never answered my question in the other several threads you have wrote.. If you are trolling I think you should take it someone where else, however i see that you have done it on anxiety website aswell and everyone is giving you the same answers and getting annoyed at you aswell as here.

Are you going to answer my question or just give another bunch of random symptoms to convince yourself that you have some almighty terminal illness from the help of doctor Google.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-16, 23:26
You still never answered my question in the other several threads you have wrote.. If you are trolling I think you should take it someone where else, however i see that you have done it on anxiety website aswell and everyone is giving you the same answers and getting annoyed at you aswell as here.

Are you going to answer my question or just give another bunch of random symptoms to convince yourself that you have some almighty terminal illness from the help of doctor Google.

You probably haven't seen it but Admin have posted on Reb's threads asking us all not to make accusations of trolling in this case.

Gary A
04-08-16, 23:27
You are simply making things up as you go along. You tell us what you think we want to hear, fake doctors appointments, pretend referrals to CBT etc, all so you can be left alone in order to keep up this absurd quest to diagnose yourself with some terminal illness.

As harsh as I can be, I trusted you were genuinely someone who was being warped by anxiety. At this point, I'm finding you rather devious. I will stop short on calling you a troll, but I certainly feel that you're yanking everyone's chain harder with each thread you post.

helenhoo
04-08-16, 23:28
I'm not!

Gary A
04-08-16, 23:30
I'm not!

Well then answer this. Did you, or did you not, tell everyone here you had a doctors appointment at 5.30 pm today?

helenhoo
04-08-16, 23:32
I did! I had thought my sister made one for me as I was at work, turns out she didn't

GadGirl
04-08-16, 23:36
Hi terry, sorry just seen this message about troll comments I do apologise, ok now you have answered that (even though on the other forum you said your mum wouldn't let you) what are you going to do in a foreign country where health care is very very different .

Fishmanpa
04-08-16, 23:40
even though on the other forum you said your mum wouldn't let you

A 25 year old adult woman does not need permission from their parents to seek medical attention. You're moving to a foreign country with your boyfriend. I suppose you would do that regardless of permission from your parents.

Positive thoughts

Gary A
05-08-16, 00:13
I did! I had thought my sister made one for me as I was at work, turns out she didn't

What a load of absolute nonsense.

Fishmanpa
05-08-16, 01:27
What a load of absolute nonsense.

:emot-nod:

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
05-08-16, 07:19
I see your frustrations I do. I worry I'm actually insane and need locking up but I have the attitude of 'yes let's beat this anxiety' and then all of a sudden there's the smell again. Could I be making it up? I have had sinus issues in the past. I just don't want to pass the tiniest chance this could be a brain tumour.

Shazamataz
05-08-16, 07:35
I see your frustrations I do. I worry I'm actually insane and need locking up but I have the attitude of 'yes let's beat this anxiety' and then all of a sudden there's the smell again. Could I be making it up? I have had sinus issues in the past. I just don't want to pass the tiniest chance this could be a brain tumour.

It's great you have acknowledged the frustration in this. Perhaps think twice before posting various symptoms?

Anxiety can cause all sorts. You've said most of the time you can confirm someone else can smell the smell too. At the moment you are so focused on smells you are probably making them appear. It's like the old situation of being told not to think of a polar bear and then you can't get it out of your head.

I get songs stuck in my head over and over again even when I haven't heard them for years and the more I focus on it the worse it gets.

You do not have a brain tumour!

MyNameIsTerry
05-08-16, 07:39
I don't know about permission but Reb's mum knows her better than any of us so perhaps we need to consider why her mum may have done that? Reb's mum may have been told this visit is all about these brain tumour worries and to be honest, looking at the evidence presented by Reb for a brain tumour, any responsible parent would tell you not to waste a doctors valuable time. Her mum may not see or understand the level of anxiety involved to encourage her to go for that reason or she may have even thought the visit will just be taken up with the symptoms (which happened before, and in several visits to a nurse).

I seem to recall Reb's or aunty knowing a bit about anxiety so I would encourage Reb to speak to that party. Maybe they can go with you to see the GP?

If you are afraid of seeing the GP, you won't be alone on here. The majority of HAers on here seem to be chasing doctors but a minority are afraid of what the doctors will say and avoid seeing them. If you are like this, get some support off a family member to go with you. It will also keep you to going as it will be harder to put off with a real person than us lot on here.

Don't worry about age. When my anxiety first started I saw my GP the week after. He advised to take time off. Whizz forward 6 months and I had a full breakdown (as they used to call it) and I couldn't face seeing my GP. My dad had to go with me, and for about 5-6 follow ups, and I was 30! When I relapsed the same happened.

There's no shame in needing some support.

---------- Post added at 07:39 ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 ----------

Hi terry, sorry just seen this message about troll comments I do apologise, ok now you have answered that (even though on the other forum you said your mum wouldn't let you) what are you going to do in a foreign country where health care is very very different .

No worries, I was sure you hadn't seen it. It's led to arguments in the past so wanted to make you aware so you don't end up in that.

pulisa
05-08-16, 08:36
If you really do think you have a brain tumour you need to have tests before you board a plane

helenhoo
05-08-16, 08:42
Every single person has said that i am insane and it's all in my head but I read articles on forums and someone called sixpack confirmed her dad had phantom smells and these were seizures so please see where I'm coming from.

I don't think these are seizures as I'm just me still I don't feel any different apart from the **** sake there's that smell, here's that anxiety feeling.

Today my one nostril feels clogged too- related?

I also have slight tension headache but I can link to anxiety

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

I'm heading to walk in. Would I look mad if I mentioned brain tumour fear?

pulisa
05-08-16, 08:54
Every single person has said that i am insane and it's all in my head but I read articles on forums and someone called sixpack confirmed her dad had phantom smells and these were seizures so please see where I'm coming from.

I don't think these are seizures as I'm just me still I don't feel any different apart from the **** sake there's that smell, here's that anxiety feeling.

Today my one nostril feels clogged too- related?

I also have slight tension headache but I can link to anxiety

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

I'm heading to walk in. Would I look mad if I mentioned brain tumour fear?

Isn't that why you're going to the walk in? Or is it about the blocked nostril and slight headache?

Gary A
05-08-16, 08:57
Hopefully your mum doesn't stop you or your sister remembers to book it or a magic Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't lay siege to the surgery before you get there.

MyNameIsTerry
05-08-16, 09:06
Does anyone remember all the stuff by Admin about not getting upset and moving on? Just a tip.

You're not insane, Reb. None of us are on here, we wouldn't be on here if we because you wouldn't know.

Are you planning on talking to a GP about your anxiety? Seeing them about the context of the anxiety will just be more reassurance. By all means tell them the fears BUT don't allow them to start marching down the path of tests because they will simply side-line your anxiety issues and waste time & money to achieve nothing.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 09:09
She wasn't worried. Said it was highly highly unlikely and the furthest away reason. But said I should still see a gp to rule anything out. So mixed feelings really.

pulisa
05-08-16, 09:11
But if you are planning to fly to South Korea and you tell the doctor that you fear you have a brain tumour they are going to have to give you a diagnostic scan because of the risk involved in air travel

helenhoo
05-08-16, 09:13
She said she wasn't worried and that it was highly unlikely but did say I should make appointment with GP to rule anything. Mixed feelings

Mercime
05-08-16, 09:18
You got seen at a walk in within a half hour? Must be a record.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 09:28
I went at this time because it's quiert

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

It's the 'you should get it checked out' comment she said

pulisa
05-08-16, 09:32
Well you should do if you are planning to fly to South Korea. I would.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 09:34
In case it is a brain Tumor?

pulisa
05-08-16, 09:43
I think you have to challenge yourself on this one. Do you honestly think you have a brain tumour? Do you honestly want to put yourself through having a brain scan? Do you honestly think your symptoms will magically disappear when you get to South Korea? What do you want to do next?

helenhoo
05-08-16, 09:45
I don't know

Gary A
05-08-16, 10:05
Do you honestly...?

Irony.

Well in light of this story, are you going to make an appointment with your GP?

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

I don't know

So lets see. You have linked the following to brain tumours;

Getting pissed drunk and hitting your boyfriend. This was percieved by you as a personality change linked to a tumour.

We ALL have personality changes when drunk. Some become happier, some become angrier, some get naked and dance with statues in the town centre (never doing that again).

A nightmare was percieved by you to be a seizure.

Again, we ALL have nightmares. If everyone who had a nightmare went to the doctors for an explanation of it, our healthcare system would crumble overnight.

Phantom smells linked by you to olfactory hallucinations.

This is the strangest one. You say you smell things that aren't there, but you also say that you can't smell them if you "close your nostril". Olfactory hallucinations are caused by a malfunction in the olfactory region of the brain. If these were indeed olfactory hallucinations, you would STILL smell them regardless of whether or not your nostril was open. It is a brain malfunction, it has nothing to do with your nose.

These are just some of the ridiculous things you've linked to brain tumours. You are utterly determined to find something, anything, to worry about. Please take note of what I've written and try to notice how absurd your thinking patterns are.

flipp
05-08-16, 10:07
[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1580404]Does anyone remember all the stuff by Admin about not getting upset and moving on? Just a tip.

You're not insane, Reb. None of us are on here, we wouldn't be on here if we because you wouldn't know.

Are you planning on talking to a GP about your anxiety? Seeing them about the context of the anxiety will just be more reassurance. By all means tell them the fears BUT don't allow them to start marching down the path of tests because they will simply side-line your anxiety issues and waste time & money to achieve nothing.[/QQU

Terry,you are right Reb or anyone of us is not insane.
I just can't understand the mean things some people say to her,I know she posts a lot about her fears,but why keep on and on,maybe just don't entertain her,i t is obvious that you all have tried to give advice to no avail,so let it go she will find her way.

Spose I'll get a tongue lashing now for putting down how I feel.

Gary A
05-08-16, 10:12
[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1580404]Does anyone remember all the stuff by Admin about not getting upset and moving on? Just a tip.

Are you planning on talking to a GP about your anxiety? Seeing them about the context of the anxiety will just be more reassurance. By all means tell them the fears BUT don't allow them to start marching down the path of tests because they will simply side-line your anxiety issues and waste time & money to achieve nothing.[/QQU

I just can't understand the mean things some people say to her,I know she posts a lot about her fears,but why keep on and on,maybe just don't entertain her,i t is obvious that you all have tried to give advice to no avail,so let it go she will find her way.

God damn you! :winks:

Not at all, we all have our opinions on this. I do want this person to get better, but I don't like the idea of her messing people around, that's all. It's in no way excusable to mess with people who, for the most part, have spent a fair bit of time trying to give you advice.

Some people, like me, get drawn into things like this, and if I'm being totally honest, I have no idea why I keep feeling the need to comment. :shrug:

KeeKee
05-08-16, 10:37
Some people, like me, get drawn into things like this, and if I'm being totally honest, I have no idea why I keep feeling the need to comment. :shrug:

I think this applies to a lot of us to be honest.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 10:42
Honestly I understand that I do.

I was originally worried about smells but realised I could it be because the office below was being painted so I left it. I then thought I could smell tobacco but turns out to be my boyfriend when he's not washed (he's clean, I promise!) but it's struck me again at work. I used tipex and then the half hour later could smell it. And then the smell wafted me yesterday too.

Are these phantom smells?

Mercime
05-08-16, 10:52
I guess that many of us post because we feel frustration as we know she could be helping herself to feel better. Of course there is the option to move on and ignore, then someone why doesn't know the post history answers in good faith and the cycle continues.
Though it still continues when we answer so there is no progress there!

From a purely personal point of view, and maybe I shouldn't feel this way, I have got an issue with well meaning people, who are dealing with their own issues, being duped. I don't belong to other anxiety sites but I'll hold my hands up - after seeing it mentioned here, I had a look. When I see two completely different stories being given about the doctor appt, I feel annoyed, because people are being fed misinformation and that's unfair.

There has been repeated comments about certain other posters who have behaved in this manner, and who got a hard time. They seem to be doing well. Do we know they reacted to the "soft approach" or the "hard approach"? We don't, all we know is that something clicked in their brain. But unfortunately there are other members who behaved in the same manner who don't get mentioned, and who were deceitful, and making out they were at deaths door, people going through a terrible time responded to this poster. I know this person was deliberately deceiving, and you can blame the illness all you like, but there is a limit - and we all have to take some responsibility for our actions.

Although I'm sure that some will disagree. South Korea is looming for Reb. She has got support here. She needs to address her anxiety issues.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 12:00
I've even spoken to my manager who used to be a nurse and she sort of laughed at me. She said its highly hoghly unlikely. She can't say no for sure but did say 100% unlikely. She said the room across the office is being done out so maybe that's why I smell what I do sometimes. She does too now and again. Probably being hypersensitive (definitely) I just freaked out because I could smell perfum, turns out someone had just sprayed.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Phantom phantom smells or true?

ServerError
05-08-16, 12:06

This sounds like the opening line of a poem...

It's just anxiety toying with you.
Get some help and you'll be fine.
Very few smells are a worrying sign.

MyNameIsTerry
05-08-16, 12:08
[QUOTE=flipp;1580426]

God damn you! :winks:

Not at all, we all have our opinions on this. I do want this person to get better, but I don't like the idea of her messing people around, that's all. It's in no way excusable to mess with people who, for the most part, have spent a fair bit of time trying to give you advice.

Gary, it's a situation that always reminds me of Lt Drebin...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Yl5aO3gdVfsQ0/200_s.gif

...:noangel:

helenhoo
05-08-16, 12:15
Server, that did make me laugh

MyNameIsTerry
05-08-16, 12:20

I'm with you, it's just not my way. Some appreciate it as they have said so but I personally struggle with it when it's strangers, my mum & dad I would take it from but no one else. I've been terrible for avoidance but because I don't talk about it, the frustration is purely my own.

Some people get more emotionally invested too. You're right though, sometimes it's just up to the other person to admit it enough to themselves to take action.

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

This sounds like the opening line of a poem...

It's just anxiety toying with you.
Get some help and you'll be fine.
Very few smells are a worrying sign.

Phantom phantom smells would seem like disappearing even further down the rabbit hole! :ohmy:

helenhoo
05-08-16, 13:10
Why does the Internet tell us that phantom smells are signs on a Brain tumour?

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

There is work being done across the Hall and across the road. How long would a true phantom smell last? I'm so close to heading to A&E for a mri

Mercime
05-08-16, 13:12
You won't get an MRI. That's not what they're there for.

pulisa
05-08-16, 13:15
What is stopping you from going?

helenhoo
05-08-16, 13:18
Fact I worry I could be wasting time. It's the nhs.

Would this not concern you?

pulisa
05-08-16, 13:18
I also hold my hands up to feeling compelled to add my bit. I have a 25 year old daughter whose life is severely restricted by an anxiety disorder and ASD and I don't see Reb having the same restrictions BUT she is gaining a huge amount of attention from well meaning people and this is where the problem lies. Attention.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 13:26
Do you believe I'm making it up?

Fishmanpa
05-08-16, 13:32
Why does the Internet tell us that phantom smells are signs on a Brain tumour?

Google is a search engine. It has algorithms that basically "learn" from you. So if you have HA and search illnesses, it will base it's search results on medically inclined results.

There's also the fact that you're intentionally searching for things to feed your irrational fantasy. You said you went 8 pages deep on a search to find something to affirm your fears.

Going back and reading your history under the various names, there are certain patterns that stand out. Besides the same 3-4 symptoms you fixate on, there is the pattern of ignoring responses and not taking on any of the advice given. Even when there is a smidgen of acknowledgement, it's immediately followed by the same question or a new thread and continued reassurance/attention seeking. No doubt that is part of the negative response being seen.

One last thing. It appears it's no coincidence that this latest spiral started with the decision to move with your boyfriend to Korea. Significant life changes often spur episodes of high anxiety and this, I believe is no exception. There are many threads that affirm this.

One way or another, you truly need to get professional real life help. You've stated on several occasions how your anxiety is having a negative effect on your personal relationships. It's more important than ever that you resolve this so your anxiety will not negatively impact and jeopardize your relationship with your boyfriend after the move.

Hopefully, the doctor will be able to offer some kind of help in the short time you have left before you leave.

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

pulisa
05-08-16, 13:32
I think that you are enjoying the attention you are getting. Can your family not help you more with your HA? Rather than relying on the internet? I'm sure your Mum would be only too happy to help you try to manage this

helenhoo
05-08-16, 13:56
My mom is just as annoyed as you all are as is my boyfriend

pulisa
05-08-16, 14:02
My mom is just as annoyed as you all are as is my boyfriend

I am really sorry to hear this. How do you feel about going to South Korea in these circumstances? How do you think you will cope if you have no support?

helenhoo
05-08-16, 14:07
Because it's not this bad all the time just currently as I worry about brain tumour.

GadGirl
05-08-16, 14:24
Ok, You say its not this bad all the time, You say you are going to korea in 2 months time. Are you still going to have this irrational fear of a brain tumour when you go over there. How are you going to manage over there where healthcare is very different and alot less understanding than here.

Fishmanpa
05-08-16, 14:46
Because it's not this bad all the time just currently as I worry about brain tumour.

Your post history contradicts that Reb... Have you actually gone back and looked at your post history and daily activity since the beginning of the year?

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
05-08-16, 15:35
Would I a full eye check (back of eye) have picked up a frontal lobe Tumor?

GadGirl
05-08-16, 15:40
Helen. You need to just stop now. None of us are medical doctors. If you have a serious concern and not "anxiety" speak to a doctor. You still never answered my question: You say you are going to korea in 2 months time. Are you still going to have this irrational fear of a brain tumour when you go over there. How are you going to manage over there where healthcare is very different and alot less understanding than here.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

You do not have a tumour, You dont have seizures, You are making every little thing you notice that is nothing into something. There is nothing wrong with you except from being a major hypochondriac. Your family and boyfriend all say the same.

Fishmanpa
05-08-16, 15:41
Where are you moving to in S Korea?

Positive thoughts

pulisa
05-08-16, 16:34
I know you will not respond to this but are you looking for a medical reason not to go to South Korea? Speaking as someone old enough to be your Mother I would be absolutely terrified at the prospect of being ill in a foreign country. You appear to be desperately analysing every single feeling in a quest to get that diagnosis...yet you are not doing anything about it other than post obsessively and selectively on here. Going to a walk in clinic is pretty half hearted as you will not be seen by a GP and you have reservations regarding therapy for your anxiety...lost referrals/mixed feelings etc.

It's a shame that no close family member can give you some support in order to get you to address what's really going on..and I don't mean a brain tumour/melanoma etc etc. South Korea just seems so much of a huge step to take when you are struggling here but you obviously have made up your mind.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 17:02
I now worry my anxiety is a sign of a Tumor. I've been this bad before and gotten better

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

And busan to teach English.

Fishmanpa
05-08-16, 17:11
busan to teach English.

Wow! I looked that up. What a cool city and beautiful place! You have it all there! Beaches, history, culture, night life etc.

Do you speak Korean?

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
05-08-16, 17:21
I've been learning, so hard. I get lessons out there too though once a week!

Mojo61
05-08-16, 17:37
I now worry my anxiety is a sign of a Tumor. I've been this bad before and gotten better

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

And busan to teach English.

Is there such a word as "gotten"? :winks:

pulisa
05-08-16, 17:39
There is in "American":D

Fishmanpa
05-08-16, 17:40
Well it sounds like an amazing opportunity and adventure. My son works for the airlines and travels the world. He's been to S Korea, Japan, Australia, the UK, all over the US and Canada etc. There's something to be said about taking the opportunities when they present themselves.

So many never step off the edge or take a chance due to the fear of "what if". The only "what ifs" we truly regret in life are the chances we don't take due to that fear.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
05-08-16, 17:50
I wish you well in Busan-it sounds like a great place and full of opportunities. Maybe it will be a whole new start for you away from your old routine and the demands/rituals of HA....providing you can leave your HA at home if that is possible with this condition and without taking on board the need to modify your mindset

helenhoo
05-08-16, 19:20
I wonder if I've actually had phantom smells.

The paint scenario; I could smell it openly in the office and in the hallway as the floor below had builders in. I'd shrug it off when I caught a whiff. The other day I had used tipex just half hour before and could smell it after I'd used it and it had dried. Is this true phantom smells? I'm becoming increasingly hyper sensitive. Sometimes I won't say I smell something out of fear no one else can. Most times someone in the office will say 'smell that mould/smoke/feet' smell and I'm secretly relieved. I was in the cinema and the plastic cup smelt funky.

Right now I can smell weed but the chaps upstairs have window open and assuming it's them (new neighbours)

I worry if I had an MRI they'd find a tumour I honestly do. My balance, speech, cognitive, hand eye coordination are all fine. I had a eye test recently and was told my eyes are healthy. I'm trying to be logical but also not wanting to miss something. Three nurses have said its highly unlikely to be a tumour. Another just looked at me like I was nuts.

pulisa
05-08-16, 19:36
Are you able to draw your own conclusion from this?

GadGirl
05-08-16, 19:40
[QUOTE=helenhoo;1580526]I wonder if I've actually had phantom smells.

The paint scenario; I could smell it openly in the office and in the hallway as the floor below had builders in. I'd shrug it off when I caught a whiff. The other day I had used tipex just half hour before and could smell it after I'd used it and it had dried. Is this true phantom smells? I'm becoming increasingly hyper sensitive. Sometimes I won't say I smell something out of fear no one else can. Most times someone in the office will say 'smell that mould/smoke/feet' smell and I'm secretly relieved. I was in the cinema and the plastic cup smelt funky.

Right now I can smell weed but the chaps upstairs have window open and assuming it's them (new neighbours)

Why would any of them be phantom smells?? Do you actually know what phantom smells are?? - I can smell detol in my house I moped the floors with it 3 days ago?? So it's clearly not a phantom smell if you ar smelling smells that everyone else can smell or you smell things you have used? Do you know how silly that sounds??

There is no chance your going to get an mri. So you might aswell put this too bed. You have had everyone Including mental health professionals tell you, you do not. What is your objective here? You continue to seek reassurance form everyone including everyone on different forums expecting different answers when you get the same answers everytime. I have to admit I am getting a bit insulted that you are keeping on with this. Having watched someone die from a brain tumour 5 months after diagnoses. Someone who had no symptoms at all like yours. Someone who would never have had the capacity to sit and type 32 different topics on an anxiety thread about near enough the same thing.

Just put it to rest, do you realise how silly you sound?? Harsh maybe yes. But I don't see you anywhere on this forum offers anyone any advice or help it just seems to be a torrent off symptoms that you write and never reply when someone asks you direct questions

Mojo61
05-08-16, 19:53
GadGirl is right. If you really did have a brain tumour there's no way you would be able to make so many posts - coherent posts - on such a regular basis.

When my husband has his brain tumour he didn't even know what day of the week it was, he was doubly incontinent, bedridden, unable to verbalise or understand basic instructions, and at the end even his sight went. He certainly couldn't have sat at a computer and typed out hundreds of posts over various forums, or contemplated moving to a foreign country, or got so drunk that he became aggressive. That would have been completely out of the question as he was unable to walk or talk, let alone go out socialising and getting bladdered.

You don't have a brain tumour - end of.

Carrie8484
05-08-16, 20:03
I work in an opticians. A thorough eye examination with retinal photography can pick up brain tumours. We picked up a tumour on a 65 year old man a few years ago.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 20:04
They took a photo and said my eyes were healthy.

Fishmanpa
05-08-16, 20:16
They took a photo and said my eyes were healthy.

Which logically means?

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
05-08-16, 20:20
That my optic nerve is OK therefore high chance my brain is? I just thought I caught a whiff of scent and following Gary's advice I sniffed inside my coat and I couldn't smell it so it isn't my nose/head and potentially just a smell.

Fishmanpa
05-08-16, 20:31
That my optic nerve is OK therefore high chance my brain is?

Ding Ding Ding Ding! :yesyes: You win the Million Dollars!!**

Positive thoughts

**prize forfeited if posting another thread or asking another symptom question

GadGirl
05-08-16, 20:32
Therefore High Chance my brain is... Your brain is no high chance, or low chance or whatever your brain is fine , Have you even took the time to read mine and mojos posts at all considering we both have experience with brain tumours?? Theres no potentially about it.. It JUST is a smell.

Carrie8484
05-08-16, 20:32
You had a clear eye exam with retinal photos which means The likelihood of having a tumour is probably less than 0.1%. You could pay privately (at least £1500) for an MRI if you want to rule out that 0.1%.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 20:36
I replied on another forum acknowledging you both.

GadGirl
05-08-16, 20:40
So you acknowledged us you never actually replied but still your not listening even though we both have experience??

helenhoo
05-08-16, 20:45
I'm getting there I promise you.

GadGirl
05-08-16, 20:54
Your really not... Are you finally going to be there once you have googled till there is nothing to google and asked everyone the same question 1000x or once you have ran out of symptoms.Why can you not take relief from two people who have had experience with brain tumours and witnessed the horrendous symptoms. You are the same age as me your wasting every minute of everyday worrying you have something you do not have.

helenhoo
05-08-16, 23:50
The nurse prescribed me a nasal spray.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Thanks for the comments. I'm still worrying slightly

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

An article I read said her husband could smell something from his past but he also had massive vision loss and detonated within a week

MyNameIsTerry
05-08-16, 23:53
So, what does that tell you, Reb?

There was a recent news story about a young mother (leaving behind twins) who had an asthma attack and died. I've had asthma about 30 years. I'm not going to live my life worrying about a situation like that, I could be run over any day of the week.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 09:11
I'm now worrying that I have been smelling paint randomly (because I have) without source. Please help me.

Mercime
06-08-16, 09:19
Read the links that you have been given, all the help you need is there.

GadGirl
06-08-16, 09:30
:wall:

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

You say please help me?? What are we expected to do?? You have been given advice after advice, been sent links, been told by medical professionals nothing is wrong but you don't listen. What help are you actually wanting??

Mercime
06-08-16, 09:34
:wall:

Don't stress yourself, it could be inadvertently fanning the flames, if you know what I mean?:winks:

Best to just refer Helen to the links already given, as it will be her way forward. Posting here continuously is pointless. Although the attention may be craved somewhat..

helenhoo
06-08-16, 09:37
What links sorry?

Mercime
06-08-16, 09:48
What links sorry?

The links that Terry gave you that you said you'd read, and also Server Errors brilliant post, it's on this forum. I suggest instead of asking about symptoms, because we know it's getting you nowhere, you sit and read those.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 10:09
But what about these smells? What if they are phantom smells. I just walked past a house caught a whiff of something walked off no smell walked back and smell. I think I want an MRI

GadGirl
06-08-16, 10:12
Congratulations your nose works if I walk past a shop and can smell food being cooked. Then I walk away and can't smell it, then obviously I would be like yum that Food smelled nice. Not think wait did i imagine that smell?? You are ment to be teaching English in a foreign country use some intelligence. Do you logically or at all notice how silly what you just wrote sounds??

Mercime
06-08-16, 10:31
Ok Reb, you want an MRI, and won't be satisfied until you get one. You can either pay for one privately, or see your GP. If you think you can get one at A&E, good luck with that.

Your call.

MyNameIsTerry
06-08-16, 10:50
Reb,

Constantly throughout your day you will pick up on smells and not know where they are coming from. When you are outside the wind is moving smells around. When you say you can't find a source, did you consider if the wind changed? Or how about the bloke painting his kitchen shut the door? You won't know why you can't smell it again.

There are tons of possibilities. You are trying to apply a very simple logic to it and it won't work because you aren't considering everything outside of that narrow view.

When you smell paint, tell yourself "yes, I did just smell paint and that's ok". Keep doing this each time. You have to learn not to give into your anxiety and let it start the spiral but also you need to learn not to negatively engage with it. Try to diffuse it. Tell yourself it is ok you feel anxious and you did smell X and tell yourself you accept this.

I'm sitting in my bedroom at the moment and I can smell various things. I've got my windows open as it's hot and some of those smells are coming from outside as I can smell the fresh air.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 11:08
I have been reading about tumours and smells all morning, even my mom is telling me off. (Yes I love her yes she gets as annoyed as you all) everyone screams how serious it is but people here don't? I had calmed self down that perhaps mine aren't phantom smells and just smells I can smell. How do I know? One guy said his girlfriend smelled rotting meat and blood and docs thought it was tumours but was epilepsy.

Is mine epilepsy?

Mercime
06-08-16, 11:34
Read the previous answers again.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 12:11
And another time I was freaking about a smell in the living room was a anti bac cleaner mom had used in kitchen.

GadGirl
06-08-16, 12:22
Read all previous posts and information that terry has provided

helenhoo
06-08-16, 12:38
I have a mild tension headache now too :(

GadGirl
06-08-16, 12:41
Read all previous posts and information that terry has provided

helenhoo
06-08-16, 13:02
If I'm being logical most times there's explanation: someone can smell it, I can see someone smoking, someone has just smoked, I've used tipex half hour before (would it linger?) but times where I've been in a pub (perhaps someone had painted nearby?) or another restaurant (it smelt similar to my perfume that was on my necklace, plus that place always smells that way down there). I just don't know if these are phantom smells or just smells. I have read the articles

KeeKee
06-08-16, 13:14
Lots of people have told you these aren't phantom smells. My opinion is the same as others, they are simply not phantom smells.

GadGirl
06-08-16, 13:19
They are just blooming smells!! A phantom smell is a smell thats a phantom.. Not a smell of perfume that someone is wearing or you have sprayed or Tipex you have used 30 minutes before of course smells linger. Anxiety can cause phantom smells but if you can cover your nostrils or go somewhere else and not smell that smell then that means it's not phantom. You are very immature and making issues out of nothing. If you have read the articles why do you not listen??

Fishmanpa
06-08-16, 15:33
I'm thinking that with all the time the OP spends online posting and Googling, someone just needs a shower :blink:

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
06-08-16, 17:02
I've smelled cigarette smoke today, once I linked it to a guy who just got on the bus (but he was Muslim) and another when a guy walked into the shop. Worrying I can smell old tobacco too.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Well shop is next to a cafe where people stand outside and smoke sometimes (just seen one)

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Can someone message me please? I want a serious chat about sorting this.

Mercime
06-08-16, 17:03
What on Earth has his religion got to do with it? Reb, what would you do if people stopped answering your posts?

ServerError
06-08-16, 17:05
Can someone message me please? I want a serious chat about sorting this.

If you really do want a serious chat about sorting this, you need to see an expert. Somebody who can really help you. You've already received the best that this forum can offer you.

Mercime
06-08-16, 17:06
A serious chat about sorting this - what have people been doing for page after page of posts, were they not seriously trying to help you? Time to take on some responsibility, you have the tools to make a start on getting better.

Read the links on the previous posts again.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 17:26
I don't imagine Muslims smoke do they?

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

I have to laugh myself, I thought I saw a long black floater in my vision

...it was my hair.

NancyW
06-08-16, 17:59
I've been semi following these posts..
Been thinking for the last couple days...

Long ago during a very bad phase in my anxiety, I was sitting in my drs office, I went in with bone pain in my shin, in my mind, it was bone cancer.

She assured me it was not.. my petscription that day was..
1. Get out of the house.
2. Go do something for someone else.

Ie: help a friend. Visit an old person. Volunteer at my church. Volunteer in my community. Go do "something" for someone else.

I left thinking she was nuts, but I followed her advice.

Slowly... I began to feel better, not perfect, but better...and little by little the crisis was over.

Let me ask you Helen, would you be willing to give this a try?

Do you have a passion? A hobby?
A cause? A favorite charity?

Would you consider getting out and offering your help?

pulisa
06-08-16, 18:13
...Preferably not at a hospice.

Think about somebody else other than yourself?

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Actually...what about advising Beckie4567..........You two share the same approach to HA

helenhoo
06-08-16, 18:32
Thanks Nancie. My anxiety usually works either of these two ways

A) odd bowel movements, maybe bowel cancer, maybe not - meh. What's on tv?

B) holy shit, what's this? Or is normal? Can you see/smell/feel/hear that?! Man I'm scared.

When I'm b I lose my appetite, become engulfed in my phone googling and googling and posting.

Mojo61
06-08-16, 19:15
Why don't you pay for a private MRI and put your mind at rest? They cost around £1400 - surely it is worth it for peace of mind?

NancyW
06-08-16, 19:37
Thanks Nancie. My anxiety usually works either of these two ways

A) odd bowel movements, maybe bowel cancer, maybe not - meh. What's on tv?

B) holy shit, what's this? Or is normal? Can you see/smell/feel/hear that?! Man I'm scared.

When I'm b I lose my appetite, become engulfed in my phone googling and googling and posting.

You did not anewer my question.

Helen, I had to be willing to help myself, are you?

helenhoo
06-08-16, 20:43
Yeah I can't pay for an MRI lol

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

I worry my anxiety is a symptom, what do you reckon? How do you act when your anxiety was its highest?

ServerError
06-08-16, 20:44
If your anxiety was a symptom of anything as deadly as a brain tumour, you'd have died or fallen gravely ill a long time ago.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 20:49
And yes Nancy I am.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Server I know. I look at times when it's been bad and I've been having panic attacks and feeling crap. I have had about five of these episodes in a year. Usually I can control it better than I am now. First tome anxiety started when I spotted and I rang up my boyfriend crying in bits. Other times I've wafted legs in my moms face to check if my freckle looks normal.

Are these normal signs of anxiety or actually losing brink of my sanity?

Mojo61
06-08-16, 20:49
Well you won't get one on the NHS so I don't know what the answer is really.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 20:50
Plus I had a blood test a few months back.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Mojo - because they won't think I need one right?

NancyW
06-08-16, 21:03
And yes Nancy I am.

Please tell me two things you are willing to do to help yourself.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 21:06
I want to say stop googling and focus on what I have to look forward to.

NancyW
06-08-16, 21:13
I want to say stop googling and focus on what I have to look forward to.

That sounds great. Let's see if I am understanding you correctly

1. Stop Googling

2. Focus on what I have to look forward to.

Is that right ?

helenhoo
06-08-16, 21:21
Yes

NancyW
06-08-16, 21:22
Yes

Let's take 1. Stop Googling.

What does 'stop googling' mean to you?

helenhoo
06-08-16, 21:26
Running to the Internet every time I'm worried about something.

NancyW
06-08-16, 21:29
Running to the Internet every time I'm worried about something.

Why is stopping that behavior important to you?

helenhoo
06-08-16, 21:33
Because it does more harm than good I guess. I just worried I could smell a brief waft of smoke and my boyfriend says there's a slight whiff outside (& we have door open)

NancyW
06-08-16, 21:36
Because it does more harm than good I guess.

I agree with you, it does more harm then good.

What has to happen for you to stop googling?

helenhoo
06-08-16, 21:48
I guess for me to use my logic more.

KeeKee
06-08-16, 21:51
Helenhoo I can honestly say, from experience, that ensuring you do not Google will be a gigantic step in you getting over this black hole you appear to be in.

NancyW
06-08-16, 21:53
I guess for me to use my logic more.

When you feel the urge to google, what will you do instead?

Please list 3 things

helenhoo
06-08-16, 22:00
I think terry once told me to use a method used in Cbt. Log what I feel, what it makes me want to do, log what I did and how it made me feel.

Deep down I worry these are signs of a Tumor but I also have the logic that most times there's a source to the smell.

NancyW
06-08-16, 22:05
I think terry once told me to use a method used in Cbt. Log what I feel, what it makes me want to do, log what I did and how it made me feel.

Helen, please answer my question..

When you feel the urge to google, what will you do instead?

Please list 3 things

helenhoo
06-08-16, 22:55
I had answered in the top part of the comment :)

NancyW
06-08-16, 23:00
I had answered in the top part of the comment :)

Ok, we can use that for number 1. We need 2 more.

1. Log what I feel, what it makes me want to do, log what I did and how it made me feel.

helenhoo
06-08-16, 23:08
Put something on tv and I guess call up a friend and distract myself.

Side note: is it possible my anxiety is a symptom? A change of personality? I have had blood tests a few months back and were normal.

Mojo61
06-08-16, 23:24
Brain tumour symptoms:

Frequent headaches (usually worse in the morning)

Nausea and vomiting

Memory loss

Seizures

Changes in personality, mood, and ability to concentrate

Changes in speech, vision, or hearing

NB: No mention of phantom smells oddly enough...:shrug:

NancyW
06-08-16, 23:48
Put something on tv and I guess call up a friend and distract myself.

Good Job Helen!!

1. Log what I feel, what it makes me want to do, log what I did and how it made me feel.

2. Put something on TV

3. Call a friend

Are you willing to PROMISE do one of these things if you feel the urge to google symptoms?

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-16, 07:40
To do what I suggested before you need one of these:

http://psychology.tools/health-anxiety-thought-record.html

There are different versions of that technique and since that one is blank with no example, here is a similar one showing you some more key questions at the bottom:

http://psychology.tools/cbt-thought-record.html

Notice how you need to present evidence for & against your fear. And how you end it by reframing your fear based on the evidence you have examined. You need to be open minded in this exercise and NOT fill it up with loads of evidence your fear is true and neglect all the evidence against. And NOT to come up with a negative reframe that ignores the evidence against your fear.

This may take some practice. You might find it hard earlier on because you are so focussed on your fear and not thinking about the rest. Populate the evidence against your fear with things we are telling to help you out.

In terms of calling your friend, are you committing to NOT discussing your fears with him/her?

flipp
07-08-16, 10:38
WOW....134 posts about "Phantom Smells" come to my place you will smell plenty,does anyone own up about a phantom smell,i know my kids don't.
Hey just trying to lighten this up a bit,don't hang me.:D.

helenhoo
07-08-16, 10:50
What if I *am* smelling phantom smells?

flipp
07-08-16, 11:07
136....You just might be.:D.you have a lovely day and No worrying.:hugs:

helenhoo
07-08-16, 11:40
Could the anxiety be a sign of a tumour?

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-16, 11:54
What if I *am* smelling phantom smells?

"What if", the anxiety sufferers unwanted best friend & worst enemy!

Counter them with positive "what ifs".

http://psychology.tools/what-if.html

"What if you aren't smelling phantom smells?"
"What if you are smelling a real smell?"
"What if I'm wrong about these fears?"
"What if this means I'm fine and it's just anxiety?"
"What if I don't have a brain tumour and it's just anxiety?"

Etc.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

WOW....134 posts about "Phantom Smells" come to my place you will smell plenty,does anyone own up about a phantom smell,i know my kids don't.
Hey just trying to lighten this up a bit,don't hang me.:D.

http://www.our.net.au/~deforest/simpsons/bart5.gif

:noangel:

flipp
07-08-16, 11:59
Gotta laugh Terry :D.

helenhoo
07-08-16, 12:02
But could it be?

flipp
07-08-16, 12:11
I do not like to be mean to you Reb...BUT NO You DO Not have a Bloody F..g Tumour.Sorry for swearing but your driving people crazy with your posts.
I will send you a hug anyway...:hugs:

NancyW
07-08-16, 14:14

Hey Helen... thought you were going to help yourself?

What was #2 ?

Tell us ALL something you can do for someone else today?

helenhoo
07-08-16, 16:05
My boyfriend has said I'm on my last warning. Said he loves me to bits but he's put up with me worrying about everything the last year. Said he'd bet his months wages I'm fine again this time.

I'm now worrying I have dysphasgia as when I'm at my most anxious I gag. I did this while eating yesterday (not for rest of evening, are fine) and today as I worried I'd gag. I did at very last mouthful but I believe it was because I was thinking about it?

Fishmanpa
07-08-16, 16:15
My boyfriend has said I'm on my last warning. Said he loves me to bits but he's put up with me worrying about everything the last year.

It's sounding more and more like you're trying (consciously or subconsciously) to get out of going to S Korea. As I stated in a previous post, this latest spiral is getting worse and worse the closer you get to your departure date. My gut is telling me you really don't want to go and you don't know how to tell him so you're self sabotaging yourself so you won't be the one that has to tell him. If you were truly excited about it, you would be talking about it and you barely mention it.

Deep down you know as we ALL know, you don't have any of the deadly illnesses you're worrying about. Perhaps it's time to look in the mirror and have a reality check with what's in your heart.

Positive thoughts

ServerError
07-08-16, 16:18
It's sounding more and more like you're trying (consciously or subconsciously) to get out of going to S Korea. As I stated in a previous post, this latest spiral is getting worse and worse the closer you get to your departure date. My gut is telling me you really don't want to go and you don't know how to tell him so you're self sabotaging yourself so you won't be the one that has to tell him. If you were truly excited about it, you would be talking about it and you barely mention it.

Positive thoughts

Weird. I was about to post virtually the same thing.

Fishmanpa
07-08-16, 16:19
Weird. I was about to post virtually the same thing.

My brother from another mother ~lol~

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
07-08-16, 16:27
My boyfriend has said I'm on my last warning. Said he loves me to bits but he's put up with me worrying about everything the last year. Said he'd bet his months wages I'm fine again this time.

I'm now worrying I have dysphasgia as when I'm at my most anxious I gag. I did this while eating yesterday (not for rest of evening, are fine) and today as I worried I'd gag. I did at very last mouthful but I believe it was because I was thinking about it?

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

I am not not excited, I'm scared. I'm nervous. I'm worried I'll fail.

I want to go. I need it I think, I've barely seen the world and I'm nearly the closer side to 30. I've said this myself to be honest and Dan has agreed.

Mojo61
07-08-16, 16:35

No. Anxiety is a symptom of....well.....anxiety. You are fuelling it by obsessing about imaginary brain tumours.

Fishmanpa
07-08-16, 16:38
I am not not excited, I'm scared. I'm nervous. I'm worried I'll fail.

I want to go. I need it I think, I've barely seen the world and I'm nearly the closer side to 30. I've said this myself to be honest and Dan has agreed.

Thank you for being honest with your answer. I believe if you go, it will be good for you and in retrospect, you'll be glad you did.

So, this isn't about any disease is it Reb? This is about the fear of failing. It's a real fear. We all have doubts when making a major life changing decision. Unfortunately, what's happening is you're doing everything you can to self sabotage yourself. Coming from someone old enough to be your father... The biggest regrets we have in our lives are not the things we did and failed at, they're the things we didn't do for fear of failing.

From what you're saying and from what I'm seeing in your plethora of posts, things are at the breaking point. I can only imagine what a hot mess you are in real life based on what we're seeing on the anxiety forums! :scared15:

Again, perhaps it's time to have a heart to heart with yourself and your boyfriend. You need to make a decision as well as stop this nonsense. You know it as well as everyone else.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
07-08-16, 17:50
It IS nonsense...and it's a smokescreen for the true reason for your anxiety. You need to sit down with him and talk as opposed to resorting to your keyboard and the internet

venusbluejeans
07-08-16, 18:34
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

helenhoo
08-08-16, 10:58
Whenever my anxiety is at its peak I gag. Is this nerves or? I can sometimes feel it coming and stop myself breathing slowly and just distraction. If this was a symptom of an illness (don't even know what) I wouldn't be able to control it would i?

Is this common for anxiety suffered?

Elen
08-08-16, 11:33
Just to let you know that I have merged this new thread into an existing thread where this has been mentioned previously.

ServerError
08-08-16, 13:08
Whenever my anxiety is at its peak I gag. Is this nerves or? I can sometimes feel it coming and stop myself breathing slowly and just distraction. If this was a symptom of an illness (don't even know what) I wouldn't be able to control it would i?

Is this common for anxiety suffered?

I'm sure I answered this yesterday. Have the threads got mixed up with all the merging going on? Or has Reb forgotten already?

Yes, it's one of the most common symptoms of anxiety, caused by tension in the neck and throat.

Carrie8484
08-08-16, 14:09
I'm sure I answered this yesterday. Have the threads got mixed up with all the merging going on? Or has Reb forgotten already?

Yes, it's one of the most common symptoms of anxiety, caused by tension in the neck and throat.

She started a new thread this morning about gagging. Thankfully the mods have merged it but I did see your response yesterday to the same question.:unsure:

Gary A
08-08-16, 14:17

Next time, answer with "no this is uncommon and could be a sign of a serious illness."

Watch how well she remembers your answer then.

This person wants nothing more than people to tell her that she's ill. I couldn't give a damn what her reasons are for this, it goes against everything this site stands for.

If it's because she doesn't want to go to South Korea, then grow a pair and say so. All she's doing right now is jerking people around, and it's now beyond tedious.

NancyW
08-08-16, 15:06
Lolol!!! I was going to post "grow a pair" yesterday but on second thought, it wasn't very ladylike, so I didnt.

Thanks for making me laugh this morning. ( yes, it's morning here in the US)

Fishmanpa
08-08-16, 15:16
All she's doing right now is jerking people around, and it's now beyond tedious.

The thing is, and I'm guilty of this as well, we're allowing it to happen. As Elen stated, there is an "ignore" function accessible from the users profile page. It effectively hides a member's posts. However, it doesn't hide you from the member you're blocking and you can still choose to read a response. You can also see what the member has posted if someone quotes them in a response. While it's not perfect, it still is effective and would be useful if these or any threads/members are causing you frustration or additional anxiety.

Due to the OP's behavior, she has invoked a rather visceral response here and elsewhere and the same suggestion was made on another site as well.

As much as we may want to help, one must also know when enough is enough and move on.

Positive thoughts

Gary A
08-08-16, 15:21
The thing is, and I'm guilty of this as well, we're allowing it to happen. As Elen stated, there is an "ignore" function accessible from the users profile page. It effectively hides a member's posts. However, it doesn't hide you from the member you're blocking and you can still choose to read a response. While it's not perfect, it still is effective and would be useful if these or any threads/members are causing you frustration or additional anxiety.

Due to the OP's behavior, she has invoked a rather visceral response here and elsewhere and the same suggestion was made on another site as well.

As much as we may want to help, one must also know when enough is enough and move on.

Positive thoughts

At this point I'm more concerned about the impact the OP is having on other people. If she posts a load of questions about symptoms and those posts are ignored, it can give the impression that she's on to something.

On a board that is, for the most part, viewed by people who are or have in the past suffered their own issues with health anxiety, that's quite dangerous.

helenhoo
08-08-16, 15:34
I appreciate all the help you offer me. I do.

Right now I worry I'm lightheaded (had afternoon coffee, caffeine does this to me) and I worry my eyes are playing up. They're not. It's slight glare my window/light above me. I had eyes tested recently and fold they're healthy (slightest long sighted but not enough for glasses)

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Just has a whiff of the scent I worry about. Literally a whiff. 0. Of a sexond

Gary A
08-08-16, 15:35
I appreciate all the help you offer me. I do.

Right now I worry I'm lightheaded (had afternoon coffee, caffeine does this to me) and I worry my eyes are playing up. They're not. It's slight glare my window/light above me. I had eyes tested recently and fold they're healthy (slightest long sighted but not enough for glasses)

So why, for the love of all that is holy, are you worried? You do this all the time. Throw down a symptom, offer a perfectly rational explanation of said symptom, then just say you're worried anyway. If coffee makes you lightheaded, don't drink it. If you've had an eye test that said your eyes were fine, then they're fine.

It really is that simple.

helenhoo
08-08-16, 15:41
I worry I do have phantom smells despite there being a source most of the time. I just had a whiff of the scent, like literally whiff. And can smell cigarette smoke but the guys by me smoke and we have window open. I am just worried

Mercime
08-08-16, 15:43
I think at this point, we have our suspicions. Step back, let admin deal with it if they want to. Let's stop this now.

Fishmanpa
08-08-16, 15:47
Anything we say... anything at all (even saying this!) , just feeds the beast here. As I stated earlier, when the OP stops getting responses in one forum, she moves to the other. Might be best in this case to starve it don't you think? :winks:

And I'm out! :byebye:

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
08-08-16, 16:03
Would they hang around one area or would that be a person. I'm trying to whiff people near me and I *think* it's a chap I sit by but it's that uncertainty that's keeping me panicked. I've not smelt it all weekend unless I walked past a builders site (few times)

NancyW
08-08-16, 16:10
Anything we say... anything at all (even saying this!) , just feeds the beast here. As I stated earlier, when the OP stops getting responses in one forum, she moves to the other. Might be best in this case to starve it don't you think? :winks:

And I'm out! :byebye:

Positive thoughts

I'm coming with you Fishman... bye bye Helen/Reb, I wish you well.

GadGirl
08-08-16, 16:16
Your going around smelling people, Lord mother of Jesus if someone was sniffing me I think I would punch them, tell you what Helen,reb00 what ever, I'm gonna go walk into my neighbours house that I haven't been in for a few days she had cats and there litter tray stinks I haven't smelt it in a few days I'm gonna then go there smell the cat little and go omg I have a phantom smell I could smell cat poo and pee, but it's ok I went outside I can't smell it now but wait.... Was it a phantom smell :doh:

helenhoo
08-08-16, 16:21
Cigarette smoke is a phantom smell though.

Colicab85
Without saying it directly, i am extremely suspicious about this.

This is not normal, this person is 25 years old, an adult? It's actually starting to wind me up. I know the answer is to not post/read...but we are all very sensitive here and therefore all the attention this person is dominating is taking away from other people that are suffering genuine problems.

Mercime
Would they hang around one area or would that be a person. I'm trying to whiff people near me and I *think* it's a chap I sit by but it's that uncertainty that's keeping me panicked. I've not smelt it all weekend unless I walked past a builders site (few times)

I wish you well Reb. I hope you find the answer to your problem - whatever it really is.

GadGirl
08-08-16, 16:36
So is a lot of things apparent phantom smells?? I'm going to stop saying anything else on this matter after this your immature, clearly acting dumb, attention seeking and not willing to accept anyhelp or you are playing the joker and taking the absolute pee out of all of us. But as I have said before you are a very selfish individual after both me and mojo have expressed our rage and hurt at the posts you are making when we have first hand experience of brain tumours and exactly what they were like with these real brain tumours and not something you have made up in your head

Elen
08-08-16, 16:38
Enough everyone.

If you do not wish to add something constructive to the thread it would be best if you refrained from posting.

Gary A
08-08-16, 16:54
Ok, this is my last post on this matter.

Helen, a "phantom smell" is an illusion. It's known in medicine as an olfactory hallucination, as the problem arises from rogue electrical signals firing from the olfactory region of the brain. The olfactory region of the brain processes smells, if the misfiring happens in that region, it will trick your brain into thinking that there is a smell there when there actually isn't. These are generally a form of epileptic seizure.

These smells are often described as very overpowering and very very typical, meaning you will smell the exact same smell over and over. The smells will last from 30 seconds up to 5 minutes.

What you describe in no way sounds like any type of olfactory hallucination. What you describe is nothing more than a smell. I have told you this already, but as ever, you paid zero attention.

I will no longer be responding to you, I hope this final post is an answer.

Please stop messing with people on this site. There are good people here who have spent a lot of their time hurting and suffering, that they now want to devote time into helping others trough the same thing is nothing short of a miracle.

You, on the other hand, are playing a game. You know it, I know it, and by the looks of the responses you're beginning to receive, the vast majority of people know it.

Goodbye.

KeeKee
08-08-16, 17:00
This will be my last post on this thread also. We all have our own experiences and our own opinions.

What I will say though, is that no two individuals are alike. As we are all on a website named 'No More Panic' I think it's reasonable to say we have all been affected by anxiety one way or another. That's why I simply can't understand some of the comments on this thread. I'm not defending any individual, but we all respond to lifes stressors differently.

I don't get why people are complaining about these threads potentially triggering others, aren't most of the posts in the HA section potential triggers? At my peak a lot of posts triggered me, if somebody had tests for a 'symptom' I had previously had I often wondered why I hadn't had those tests. However that was my problem, not the posters.

Some of you lot have had some dreadful experiences, but I wish you'd also try to understand that often with mental health issues come lack of self control etc and lack of thought for others. Some people truly can't help themselves. Helenhoo has apologised for offending somebody.

As for calling the poster immature, some of the posts are no better.

Helenhoo, echoing others I wish you all the best. As for everybody else, I've no ill meaning in my posts and likewise wish you all the best too.

I'd also like to add that I don't disagree with all that others have said but saying things such as "taking away from other people that are suffering genuine problems" is also offensive. Mental health illness is a genuine problem. I should know I've dealt with it for over 8 years now. It affects every tiny part of my life.

helenhoo
08-08-16, 17:30
Cigarette smell and the paint? Last a few seconds typically. If I walk off its not there, if I come back it is. I am genuinely scared I have thisz

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Is it possible that the guys I sit with give off the Stench of cigarette?

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Please someone understand my fear. Online articles say phantom smells are a sign of s tumor. Today I've smelt cigarette smoke in a train station and in office (guys at work *do* smoke) I'm try to grasp logic without pissing people off.

Pipkin
08-08-16, 17:31
All,

Ok, I haven't had the time to read through the full thread but it's clearly not helping anyone. I'm going to close it, review it later and if I think it's ok, I'll reinstate it.

Pip