PDA

View Full Version : The small things often mean the most.

Emsxo
06-08-16, 16:02
One of the most upsetting & frustrating things about being an anxiety sufferer is wanting and dreaming of doing the simple things that others take for granted on a daily basis. Things like going out for a meal with friends or a supermarket shop. The things that I'd love to be able to do without feeling anxious or letting my fears and thoughts run away with me. I'd actually love to be able to go to work and not just sit in the houses, feeling so trapped, lonely and isolated. I'm not asking for much. I just wish I was able to do those small things, and they truly would mean the most.

Noivous
07-08-16, 02:27
That's very true Ensxo. I actually forced myself to do things. And I kept forcing myself. I started small. Maybe going shopping as you mentioned. Each time I did something I proved to myself that fear in and of itself will not harm me in anyway what so ever. I'm not perfect but light years ahead of where I once was.

N.

dale12345
07-08-16, 03:32
I have been forcing myself and I feel better. It is hard but i think it is helping.

HalfJack
08-08-16, 08:05
Anxiety is a huge party pooper, frustrating.
Take baby steps you'll get there, big hugs x

.Poppy.
22-08-16, 20:40
I know how you feel. I've started to dread showers...I still take them but they cause me a great deal of stress. And to think, for years I took them and was totally fine and others don't see them as a big deal either.

It's kind of lonely to look at the world and think, "they're not consumed with ________, why do I have to be?"

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-16, 08:24
I know how you feel. I've started to dread showers...I still take them but they cause me a great deal of stress. And to think, for years I took them and was totally fine and others don't see them as a big deal either.

It's kind of lonely to look at the world and think, "they're not consumed with ________, why do I have to be?"

I was like that, Poppy. Initially it was more about my heart rate going up and the hot feeling but later it became about feeling like crap when I got out.

It goes away eventually the more you make it a normal thing, but I know what you mean because it was hard going. What I have found helps is if you get out and get on with something so you are busy and don't have time to think about how you feel because those tired/achey feelings tend to disappear naturally anyway after a short period of time.

It's actually quite common. When I used to go to the charity walk-in groups we used to talk about it there. A remember one week we had a big group for our location and a woman in her fifties waited until the end to talk as she was new and very nervous. She had only recently started with anxiety. She said she was ashamed for not showing for 3 weeks. Do you know what happened? A room of 15 people all nodded and reassured her because they knew it themselves. She didn't realise it was common and that must have been comforting as she was embarrassed.

.Poppy.
23-08-16, 20:43
Terry - for me, it's down to the fact that I think I'm shedding too much hair. I don't shed in the shower really, but the next morning more hair comes out than on days where I haven't washed. It's like I'm afraid of washing all my hair out...and of course I HAVE to wash my hair or it gets really gross.

Good to know it's not just me, though.