PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining recovery

Mojo61
07-08-16, 08:55
Once a person has achieved recovery and is "back to normal" so to speak, how do they maintain that recovery so that the anxiety doesn't come back?

If the person is on medication then it's obvious that they should continue with that until the doctor tells them otherwise, but what about outside stressors, everyday worries, and the lemons that life invariably throws one? If that person doesn't want to go back to how they were before then they need to manage those things don't they? Or do the meds keep everything on an even keel and help the person not to get so worked up about issues that may have exacerbated the breakdown?

Keeping busy, healthy eating, exercise, positive outlook, they all must help too?

pulisa
07-08-16, 11:14
I think that knowledge of how anxiety presents in you and acceptance that it is anxiety alone which is causing known physical symptoms is a big psychological help. Being careful not to go into overdrive re stressful situations-taking stock, taking one step at a time and putting a check on catastrophising.

It's natural to be terribly fearful of a relapse when you are gradually working your way out of the mire. I think with time and with more confidence in yourself it becomes easier to think of more positive things other than relapse prevention. The early days are hard when you are feeling your way towards feeling stronger and better

Holds1325
08-08-16, 19:28
Although I am "recovered" from my anxiety there is still the lingering fear and sometimes intermittent panic (not very often) that it will all come back and I will be like this again for a long time or forever even. It takes practice and time to center yourself and say okay this anxiety is all just anxiety, I got over it once and I will again if it happens and if it happens then I will deal with it, but its not happening now!

Dealing with outside stressors helps as well but there will always be things that spring up and stress us out. Do we give into the anxiety then? We try not to and we definitely try not to give in when there are no stressors. Alot of anxiety has to do with fear of fear, worry that we wont be happy and will struggle with fear most of our lives.

As pulisa said, we need to have more confidence in ourselves and sometimes that means taking into account how we got through the anxiety to begin with. Sure it was soooo hard to get through it but we made it right? We're smarter and more stronger now because of it so if there even is a next go-round we'll be ready and we'll definitely have more tools.

One thing that helps me is a gratitude list, list all the things good that are going for you, it takes the focus off your problems and puts it on something positive almost like turning a switch off for the anxiety. Sometimes it doesnt work the first time but keep repeating it and eventually it'll become natural to you.

Fishmanpa
08-08-16, 20:17
Once a person has achieved recovery and is "back to normal" so to speak, how do they maintain that recovery so that the anxiety doesn't come back?

If the person is on medication then it's obvious that they should continue with that until the doctor tells them otherwise, but what about outside stressors, everyday worries, and the lemons that life invariably throws one? If that person doesn't want to go back to how they were before then they need to manage those things don't they? Or do the meds keep everything on an even keel and help the person not to get so worked up about issues that may have exacerbated the breakdown?

Keeping busy, healthy eating, exercise, positive outlook, they all must help too?

All you said is common sense. Eat right, exercise, don't smoke, know that drinking can and does cause issues with anxiety sufferers, keeping a positive attitude (BIG one!) all help in maintaining and continuing to recover.

Personally, having recovered from some depression and "scanxiety" and as I continue to recover from my cancer treatment and heart issues, it comes down to continuing to do the things that got you to the point you're at. I have to do stretches and swallowing exercises daily. I have meds I need to take etc. It's also knowing that you will have a bad day now and again but using what you've learned and practiced will help you through.

It's similar to working out in a lot of ways. You have to continue to go to the gym to reap the benefits. Stop going to the gym and you stand to lose the gains you made.

Positive thoughts