PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally cooking in oven with plastic sticker for 2-3 months

hulk
07-08-16, 11:18
I was cleaning my oven out today and noticed remnants of a small clear sticker stuck (one of those ones that comes with jeans, etc. that are only semi sticky) to the side near the door. I noticed it poking out of the oven a while back (when it was off) and removed it, but I must have missed a small amount that was in the oven.

I've been eating almost every day from the oven for ages and am now scared I have poisoned myself and will get cancer :weep:. I never did smell any strong fumes and the sticker wasn't melted (just a bit browned), but I am still paranoid. I hope I'm just being irrational and over fearful as usual :/

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-16, 11:41
I was cleaning my oven out today and noticed remnants of a small clear sticker stuck (one of those ones that comes with jeans, etc. that are only semi sticky)

Who've you been eating?!!! http://www.bestemoticon.com/smiley/violence/violenc132.gif:ohmy::D

I'm sure you will be ok. I've unknowingly eaten bits of plastic or silver foil before.

If you ate something that was something your digestive system couldn't cope with you would end up vomiting most likely anyway or it would just pass through and come out the other end undigested.

Rationally I would say if there was any danger involved, and especially something that could be a cancer risk, our health & safety nuts society would have put safety warnings all over the place about taking it out before use...or better still, not putting it in there in the first place! :winks:

hulk
07-08-16, 11:43
Who've you been eating?!!!
Rationally I would say if there was any danger involved, and especially something that could be a cancer risk, our health & safety nuts society would have put safety warnings all over the place about taking it out before use...or better still, not putting it in there in the first place! :winks:

Haha, well I don't know too many people putting their jeans in the oven :D. They just happened to be in the kitchen near the oven and the sticker must have fallen off at some point. Like I said, initially I noticed it and pulled it out, but must have left some in the oven cavity without noticing :(. I'm hoping because I didn't taste anything funny that it didn't leach into my food

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-16, 11:48
Ah, I see now.

I think you will be fine. Clothing labels will be safe since we tend to wear them next to our skin a lot (I rarely remove mine, more any harder ones at the nape of the neck) so they won't have anything in that could be hazardous to health. Also, I doubt burning them would release anything dangerous to you and the same if ingested (don't kids swallow things like that? And pets?).

hulk
07-08-16, 12:36
Ah, I see now.

I think you will be fine. Clothing labels will be safe since we tend to wear them next to our skin a lot (I rarely remove mine, more any harder ones at the nape of the neck) so they won't have anything in that could be hazardous to health. Also, I doubt burning them would release anything dangerous to you and the same if ingested (don't kids swallow things like that? And pets?).

I guess so. Thinking about it, people smoke cigarettes all the time, which must surely be much worse. I'm not doing that at least.

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-16, 12:40
Smoking cigarettes is very bad. A major cause of lung cancer.

There's certainly nothing good about smoking tobacco.

aaronrh76
07-08-16, 15:53
Usually when someone gets cancer from exposure to something dangerous, its from prolonged exposure to something, not just a temporary situation. Yes it is true anyone can get cancer of all types, but most of the time, you can take steps in living a healthy lifestyle that greatly reduces your risks. I would not worry too much about it, as even if you did inhale or ingest something, the amounts would be very trivial.