PDA

View Full Version : Year long Phantom smell worry

Jamie123
07-08-16, 13:09
DONT READ IF WORRIED ABOUT PHANTOM SMELLS
Old thread about phantom smells:http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=176612
I have for a while now gotten a phantom smell maybe once a month and am really worried that it is caused by a brain tumor. I read this post on another thread
"the ole phantom smells. we all do get them from time to time. the last time I had them, that I vividly recall, was August 2008, when my sister was dx'd with a brain tumor. My dad DID have phantom smells with his brain tumor--his was always the same smell. And those were caused by simple partial seizures. Which is quite common with temporal lobe brain tumors. My sister didn't have phantom smells with her tumor BUT her tumor was in the frontal lobe.
SOOOO
I had phantom smells because of my anxiety about the whole situation. We can all get worked up about this sort of thing. I mean we read that "smells" can be from tumors/seizures, so when it happens we get wiggy. Well we can smell things that aren't there with power of suggestion, sinus issues, and just plain anxiety too.
All of the other things you described are not tumor related---atleast with my sister and dads and the few other folks I've known who had tumors. Remember tumors are bossy, insistant creatures. I've not heard of floaters or twitching ever being a cause for a tumor alarm. I have both, btw. I get the ear thing too. "
And it got me worried as my smell is always the same (graphite sort of smell) and 1 time I could smell it on my hand and when i got my friend to smell it it wasnt there which has me really worried. The person goes on further to say that the person who had the tumor dragged their leg and often when I am walking my foot drags along the ground every so often which made me freak out can someone give me some reassurance please :(

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Recently I have also been noticing a dot of light every few minutes in my vision which disappears in a split second and is not always in the same spot is this worrying?

Fishmanpa
07-08-16, 16:06
You should have a chat with Reb/helenhoo :)

Positive thoughts

pulisa
07-08-16, 17:47
Dear God, that is one thread which would run and run....

cattia
08-08-16, 07:39
I've had phantom smells on and off for years. Not always the same one, and always when I've just woken from a deep sleep. I also have the flashes of light and this is also something I have suffered from on and off for years. I guess if mine was a brain tumour it would have developed more symptoms by now but I certainly worried about that initially. I also have suffered more recently from occuular migraine so I wonder if the two are connected? Do you get migraines? Mine actually have aura with no real headache.

butterchops1
29-11-16, 15:10
Hey Cattia,

The phantom smell is almost certainly caused by bacteria! I would try a good probiotic or some keifer. I have experienced this before and it's not nice at all, please don't worry yourself over it.
Also - the flashes of light, I went through a huge scare with my eyes not long back I ended up driving boots opticians mad (I always go there because they have to train a year longer than vision express, spec savers etc) Anyway, it turns out they aren't anything to worry about unless they happen in quick successions, there would also be other symptoms. I used to have mine as I was falling asleep in a dark room which was really disturbing! Take care of yourself