PDA

View Full Version : Call centre work and anxiety

francium49945
07-08-16, 17:22
I am in a bit of a pickle. Just posting here as they say a problem shared is a problem halved and all that.

I took a job working in a call centre for a housing charity a few months ago.

Can’t be too specific as I don’t want to be identified but basically if your boiler breaks in the middle of winter you might end up talking to me. From the job description it sounded easy. Log repairs. Get the contractors out to fix it. Not exactly why I went to university but a good chance to keep my head down and earn some money.

The crux of the problem is the job is a bit more complex than that. I feel utterly out of my depth and it is pretty clear the job is not a good fit for me. It is impossible to hide the fact I’m really not enjoying it.
· It is not the kind of environment where you can work to a script which is what I was expecting. I’d prefer a job with much more routine that I could Master. This is something where no two days are ever going to be the same.
· *I don’t have enough subject knowledge at the moment to diagnose repair issues.
· *I don’t have the speed on the computer systems. I’m even struggling with the phone systems.
· *I find the fact that every call is recorded highly stressful. It is a bit of a culture shock to be in an environment where computer software is logging my breaks including toilet visits.
· *I now realise that verbal abuse is going to be daily. I’ve never worked a job where I wake up every morning knowing I am going to be verbally abused.

It is not a role that plays to my strengths at all. I don’t think the onboarding process has been brilliant but ultimately that seems a bit of an excuse in the sense that if I was better at the job that wouldn’t be a problem.

This job is affecting my mental health. A job should not be making you wake every night at 3.30 in the morning due to anxiety. I can’t help but think that I could be earning a similar amount in a dead end retail job but without the stress. I’m not able to switch off from it of a weekend.

I have no idea how to get out of this situation. In retrospect I started applying for jobs that I wasn’t particularly suited to out of desperation. I was unemployed. I needed the money. I still do. I wasn’t in a position to wait for the perfect job to arrive.

Sure I have the option of continuing to apply for jobs but I have no idea how to (a) explain this blip and (b) what I would do re references now it has been a number of months since my previous job. Quitting isn’t an option from a financial point of view and in any case employers are very reticent to hire the unemployed.

davjamnix
07-08-16, 18:16
hello, i am sorry to here about the stress and anxiety your new employment is causing.

most new jobs can be a bit daunting when starting in a new field with no prior knowledge, unfortunatly it takes time to come to grips with industry knowledge and to be able to use the working systems efficeintly. your line manager should be understanding and provide support to get you to a stage where you feel comfortable in doing your job.

You seem to not be too keen on the unpredictability of your day in work as i am sure calls and customers can be different, this may be a good thing as rather than being a robot that follows a script and does the exact same thing for 8 hours a day there is challenges to overcome. Yes you may feel more competent in following a script and it will be easier to follow a flow that resolves issues but after time you will become bored.

As for the abuse, nobody like being verbally abused. It is their problem not yours! people will be frustrated with their reasons for contacting you, who likes being cold in winter?? If you are polite and try your best to help them and they are still rude and agressive then it is a fault in their personality and you should feel sorry for them.

Unfortunatly we all need money and the easiest way to get hold of some is through employment, apply for other jobs while sticking it out, it wont last forever and eventually you will look back on this job and it wont be as bad as it seems now. it is also easier to find a job when you have one....so i have been told anyway.

try some chamomile tea before bed, nice with honey, to help with sleep. its not easy to switch off sometimes maybe try writing down the worries of the workplace before you go to bed.

i hope this week at work is better for you