PDA

View Full Version : Ready for a life change

Shain321
08-08-16, 04:02
Hello, I'm Stacey. I have a great husband, three amazing kids, a nice home and beautiful yard, animals, the works. To me it sounds like I should be "normal". But I'm far from it. My life inside is truly a living hell, and most people don't know I'm an amazing actor.
Not many people would guess I feel dizzy and completely self absorbed in a conversation, and that although I'd love to care about what they're saying I can't. I can hardly even pay attention. Or that I can't go to the grocery store without feeling like I'm going to pass out. Or that I have horrible anxiety while driving. Or that I would prefer to be at home because I feel safer there, not because I don't want to go anywhere. I'd love to go, I'd love to feel like I could jump in the car and take my kids to play with their friends and I could feel like I wasn't a freak. Living in a fog is no fun. And feeling incredibly dumb.
Six months ago I decided to go back to a doctor after a 4 year break. I got so tired of hearing there was nothing wrong with me four years ago that I had to quit going. Anything they did didn't make me feel better anyway, and I was tired. In the last six months I've been on three different medications, Effexor, then Lexapro solo, and now Lexapro and Wellbutrin combo. I've started seeing another therapist as well, doing EMDR. Life is more bearable but far from great.
It all started as panic attacks in 2007. I've lived a hard life. Drug addicted, alcoholic parents, living in bad conditions. Never feeling loved, blah, blah, blah. I feel like I've worked on that enough with therapists. But I'm pretty sure it's the root cause of all my troubles.
Panic attacks started in 2007, which led to testing, which led to there was nothing wrong but anxiety. I swear I've had a heart attack but doctors say otherwise. I've also had MS, diabetes, thyroid issues, a possible brain tumor, celiac disease and I'm sure more illnesses but doctors have said I'm in great health. After a few months of panic attacks in 2007 and many walk-in clinic visits I started taking Zoloft. I was good for quite a while, like 5 years. Two pregnancies during the time, a fairly peaceful and uneventful 5 years. A couple panic attacks during this time, but nothing i felt I couldn't handle. After a while I was able to talk myself through them, and they would pass and I'd still be alive.
But I was going through some bad stuff that I was unaware of. I was sure that sunspots were going to flare up and devastate the earth. I was preparing, stockpiling food, medical supplies, seeds to grow a garden, a water filtration kit, I was trying to get my hands on a gun for protection but never actually went through with a purchase. At the same time I was terrified of my husband. For no reason. He's never hit me, never verbally abused me, he is really and truly a nice guy. But I couldn't talk to him. I couldn't tell him about the sunspots, I couldn't tell him who I talked to on the phone, that I visited my sister, that I went to McDonald's for lunch. I was afraid he'd be mad at any choice I made during the day. It was an artificial relationship, one that I almost destroyed because of my mental illness. I created a monster that didn't exist out of my husband.
In April or May of 2012 I was cooking dinner for my family. All of a sudden, I felt like someone hit me in the back of the head, followed by a panic attack. I had a headache for 43 days. In that time, I had an MRI, was checked out by three different doctors, and everything was normal. That's when the fog started. That's when I started feeling disconnected from the world, had trouble driving, grocery shopping, talking to people. When I started feeling so dumb. My primary doctor prescribed Celexa, but it didn't help. I don't think I gave it enough time in hindsight. I quit going to the doctor because I was so tired of hearing I was okay.
So I suffered in silence. This is the time in my life if I was ever to be nominated for best actress I'd have won. I drove everywhere in fear. I went to work complely numb, literally being able to touch a scalding hot item and not flinching. I didn't know until then anxiety can make you feel absolutely nothing. I was sucked dry, but my people pleasing side kept me going. I hate to disappoint anyone. Maybe I didn't even love my kids... at the very least I couldn't feel connected to them. Two years passed like this. I did see a therapist for about a year during this time.
Finally, finally, my husband was transferred for work and we were able to move. I felt this was my big chance to feel better. Somehow I kept it together to sell our home, buy another one, get the kids in a new school, find a part time job, start doing things I felt I should enjoy. But nothing brought me happiness. I was still as empty, foggy, exhausted, and lifeless as ever. Another year and a half went by, and even with all of the positive changes my family and I made there was nothing but tiredness.
Back to the doctor, trying different medications, perhaps finding one that in time will actually work. I've been on Lexapro and Wellbutrin for about 2 1/2 months now, adjusting the dosage about a month after I started. I'm back to a therapist in our new town, hoping something will help. I'm closer to feeling "normal" than I have in 4+ years, but what should it feel like? I'm way closer to 40 than when all this started, so I need to remember I may never get back to where I used to be... That's the short version of me :)

venusbluejeans
08-08-16, 04:21
Hiya Shain321 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

futurerealm
08-08-16, 06:35
I truly sympathize with you. You should be proud that you have managed to do all of those things while still suffering through each day. I know I am not brave enough to do that. Maybe it's because you are older and have more responsibility, but the initiative is impressive. Just know that you aren't alone. Things can get better, even if they do take a long time. But it certainly is not hopeless. I am new to the site as well so I hope we can all find what we are looking for. It sounds like you a have a wonderful family who is willing to support you. Look to them in your time of need and I'm sure everyone will be willing to do what they can. I wish you the best of luck and I truly hope you can find peace with yourself and your fears.

Shain321
09-08-16, 05:51
Thank you for your kind words, futurerealm. This is the first time I've ever told people how I feel (with the exception of professionals). It is very relieving to know there are others who understand, who are here or have been in my shoes... I feel no one in my life truly understands, even if they are sympathetic, therapists included. I'm truly sorry you suffer too, I wouldn't wish this illness on anyone. It is a big step joining this group of people for both of us, I hope to watch your battle turn into a journey to peace and clarity.

Mikechamberlain
09-08-16, 08:07
Hi Stacey,
It sounds like you are an incredible person who is going through a very tough time. I can totally relate to your story, I know how hard it is for us anxiety sufferers to talk about ourselves and I applaud you for taking the time to get your honest thoughts down on the forum. I am new to the forum too, I made my first post yesterday which might be of interest to you, I can't post the link but you can find my story in the Introduce Yourself forum.

(In my story I forgot to mention the horrendous headaches, the trips to the emergency room, the constant feeling that I had a brain tumour or was having a heart attack)
I felt just as bad as you and now I am 100% rid of it. I am myself again.
I know right now you must feel truly damaged and irreparable but you are not, I promise!

Mike X