PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Diary / Experience

RobTheRobot
08-08-16, 10:26
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. Been lurking for a while so thought I should contribute.

I thought I would post here to share my experience so far on Citalopram, both for myself and others. It's early days but things haven't been great.

A little background: I suffered from Anxiety pretty badly around 4 years ago after job redundancy and staying at home too often. This led to bad migraines also. I went to my doctor who prescribed beta-blockers which didn't agree with my system at all. I didn't take the beta-blockers afer trying for a few days. I eventually got a new job, and while it was hell to begin with, the anxiety seemed to disappear on it's own.

Not to say I have been fully cured in this timeframe. Things would still make me edgy and uncomfortable, such as trains and queues. Every now and then, when out for a walk for example, I could feel the onsets of panic attacks but I was able to keep things under control.

Fast forward to a month ago and the anxiety has returned, intensified and crippling. This was a gradual build up as I noticed I couldn't sit at public places too long without feeling uncomfortable. There were 3 main low points that made me see my doctor again:

1. I couldn't enjoy my daughter's school play because all I thought about was my health and how I wanted to run out of the school to get fresh air

2. During a family dinner, I had a panic attack which led me to the resteraunt's toilets in a state of total doom for 15 minutes
3. The following day at work, I left after sitting down for 15 minutes as the panic onset returned.

I contribute this to so much going on in the previous year of my life.. I got married, bought a home, was promoted in work, and finished a long court ordeal to get my kids at weekends. Some of these things, you would think, should make a guy happy. I just worried the whole time... and I think it's the main contributor to my anxiety. This, along with health worries. I over-analyze my body way to much when something isn't right.

So, I went back to my doctor, who again prescribed me beta-blockers. I tried again for a few days, and it didn't help again. These always made me feel awful in afternoons. After the trial, my doctor wasn't in the clinic and instead I visited another doctor, who put me on slow release beta-blockers.

I was a little hesitant at first to try these but I went ahead. Again, same result. Felt awful by afternoon and I had to stop taking them.
One Saturday night, I felt completely overwhelmed and sick with the anxiety. I couldn't enjoy time I had with my son and thought I was going out of my mind. A phone call to a very sarcastic out-of-hours doctor later, and I'm prescribed 7x 2mg Diazepam tablets. I'd never taken Valium before, and was apprehensive. My wife picked up the prescription and I took 1 2mg tablet that night. The relief I got felt like a small miracle.

Not wanting to abuse these tablets, as I've heard of the addiction horror stories, I called my own doctor again a few days later, wanting to tell him I was prescribed Diazepam and what he thought I should do. He said my body needed the rest, and he was happy to hear they helped. He presicribed 28 more tablets, up to 3 times a day for Anxiety.

The problem being, I'm pretty sure by this point its generalized anxiety. I was (and still am) waking up every morning feeling anxious, I wasn't taking breaks in work with friends and not walking far from work. One particular episode occured when I went to 2 shops during my lunch break and had to run out while standing in the queue, placing the items back on my way out the door. I was gripped bad by anxiety and embarressed about running out, looking like a fool.

This is maybe my downfall; I am still apprehensive about taking Diazepam. While in work, when I feel the Anxiety reach a point where I can't cope, I'll break a tablet in half and take it. I fear I'll develop addiction. Half a tablet doesn't do much now and just last week I took 1 and a half (3mg) diazepam and felt awful about myself afterwards. Work colleagues, I fear, can also tell when im on valium, as my eyes glaze over and I don't really communicate.

With all this becoming too much, I called my doctor again, who advised I should go on an antidepressant. I was prescribed 10mg Citalopram. This is where my experience diary starts.

My doctor was forthcoming regarding side effects, but only listed 2... headaches and feeling "sick". He said this will pass after 2 weeks.. and wanted me to make an appointment for 2 weeks time to see him after I'd taken my daily doses. Problem was, I called back to make the appointment and turns out he is on annual leave in 2 weeks, so I'll be seeing him 1 week after the initial doses.

I took dose 1 on Saturday night around 7pm. I had no side effects except feeling a little hot / sweaty and also a mild headache. I woke up on Sunday morning feeling extra tired but nothing I couldn't deal with.

On Sunday I had family lunch (in the same resteraunt where I had a panic attack) and my anxiety was pretty bad. I had difficulty speaking correctly and remained silent for much of the conversation / dinner. My hands also couldn't stay still.. like I always needed to be touching something on the table.. or my face. It was a bad experience, but I made it through.
I took dose 2 around the same time on Sunday night (last night). By 9pm I felt a bad headache and felt extremely tired. I fell asleep around 11pm and woke again at about 3am, feeling totally spaced out. My thoughts were racing and I was finding it hard to control what I was thinking. I also had a headache during this ordeal, and my mouth was bone-dry. I brought myself down with deep breathing but the experience was quite scary.

I woke up, this morning, and I couldn't bring myself to go to work. I was dry-heaving as soon as I woke up, and I felt a tiredness so strong that I felt I was pass out if I kept up and active.

I am aware these side-effects should pass gradually but I wasn't expecting them to strike with such force. I feel weird today, like I'm not "all there". I will continue the medication but It's a bit upsetting to me that after only 2 days I've been feeling worse than ever. I'll need to go back to work tomorrow and it fills me with such dread and despair.

With this in mind, I am going to continue with Citalopram. I don't want to be stuck in this anxiety forever. I might take some Diazepam later to see if it helps after taking the anti-deppresant but my fear there is being "zombified" and, in the back of my mind, I also have the fear of valium addiction. My doctor said I'm on such a low dose of Diazepam that I shouldn't worry, and my body will be thankfull for the break. However, as we all know, the internet says differently. I do believe I have spent too much time researching and reading stuff online though that only makes things worse.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'll update this thread as time goes on to share with others how I get on. Maybe I'll end the thread with "It's worth it guys, do it"... but at the moment it's been a rough ride.

Andy1718
08-08-16, 14:58
Hi there, good to see you are on this forum.
When my doctor prescribed me cit he never really mentioned the side effects until i did some research. I can safely say that I had 2 weeks of absolute hell. Nausea, tiredness, anxiety heightened, couldn't leave the house, terrible thoughts, couldn't keep my mind or body still. I was signed off work for 7 weeks as i am a teacher. i now am into my 12th week on cit and finally I feel that it is giving me some benefit. I increased from 10mg to 20 mg after three weeks and have been on this dose ever since. My advice is stick with it no matter how bad you feel. It will get better.

RobTheRobot
08-08-16, 15:13
Hi there, good to see you are on this forum.
When my doctor prescribed me cit he never really mentioned the side effects until i did some research. I can safely say that I had 2 weeks of absolute hell. Nausea, tiredness, anxiety heightened, couldn't leave the house, terrible thoughts, couldn't keep my mind or body still. I was signed off work for 7 weeks as i am a teacher. i now am into my 12th week on cit and finally I feel that it is giving me some benefit. I increased from 10mg to 20 mg after three weeks and have been on this dose ever since. My advice is stick with it no matter how bad you feel. It will get better.

Thanks for replying and the kind encouragement :)

I was actually pretty positive after the first dose as the side effects were minimal. Boy was I wrong!
I really can't afford not to work. I already had time off before the CIT prescripion due to anxiety. Honestly don't know how I will function tomorrow in work but it needs to be done. It's the morning sickness and restless night tonight I'm worried about.

Thanks again though, much appreciated :)

RobTheRobot
09-08-16, 06:45
Well.. forget work today.

Dose 3 last night was tolerable, and with 1mg Diazepam I managed to sleep until around 5:30am (my alarm is set for 6:30), however I had to run to the bathroom twice... dry-heaving badly.

Ive also noticed intrusive thoughts when trying to sleep at night, like it's difficult to "switch off".

I feel I'm in no way able to get to work. I'll call in this morning. My early advice is to get signed off before starting your prescription.

Becky2785
09-08-16, 09:17
Hi Rob I've been on 10 mgs for nearly 4 months now and had the same side effects as you dry heaving was one of the worst also horrific intrusive thoughts. I never took any time off work I do 40 hours a week in retail so facing people all day every day although I felt crap and didn't want to go most days I do believe it's Wat has kept me going I didn't want to sit around the house all day and do nothing I thought it would make me feel worse and with the thoughts I was getting I didn't want to be alone. I still get the thoughts now but no where near as bad and still worry about being alone but I'm sure I will be fine. I recommend a book called a life at last by Paul david it helped a few of us on here loads it's an easy read. Hope u start to feel better soon
Take care becky x

R1CH
10-08-16, 12:36
Hi Rob

I've a lot of experience in the past from various antidepressants. I'm currently on sertraline in the startup phase after switching from cit. What I would say is dont be afraid or concerned about taking diazepam. I have taken the stuff on and off for quite some time now and often go weeks or a month without needing it. The relief it provides is good for you and will let your mind rest from the horrible thoughts. I woke up this morning with awful anxiety ripping through me so I took 4 mg of diazepam and I felt fine after and this has allowed me to do the things I need to, like work. I know I wont abuse this drug as it can be a nightmare to get off of and as longs as you are sensible you will be fine. Once your AD has kicked in fully you wont even think about diazepam again.

HTH

Rich

RobTheRobot
10-08-16, 14:57
@Becky
Thank you for your reply. I'll surely look into this book :) Anything that helps is great, and really we have nothing to lose.

@Rich
Thanks. Yeah my doctor said the same in regards to Diazepam. Dose 4 yesterday.. before taking the dose I called my doctor to let him know that the side effects were getting the better of me. He reassured me it's normal, and strangely said after the 4th or 5th tablet these side effects should subside. I'm not awfully sure about that, but I did take 2mg Diazepam before taking the Cit and I was hardly touched by side effects. The normal headache was still there around the temples, but not nearly as severe. I also slept the whole night through, and had a bit of a sleep in, which was nice.

Rich my doctor echoed the same sentiments as yourself in regards to Diazepam. With such a small dose, and knowing I am worried of addiction, he said I shouldn't be so concerned and try to let the Diazepam give my body a rest. He even prescribed 28 more... which I was shocked at but shows his confidence I suppose. He also wrote me a sickline for the week without me asking, and re-arranged our appointment for 2 weeks time (it was supposed to be this week but he's on annual leave, bit of a mix-up). After I got out of bed today I didn't feel myself again... not overly anxious but a little spaced. In comparison to the last 3 doses though, this has been a good day so far.

I don't want to push myself just yet and get back out into the world. I'll get over another few doses of Cit and take it from there. I'm still being sensible with the valium, and will only take it if tonight goes pear-shaped.

Thanks again for the replies :) Having people to share this with does make it easier.

RobTheRobot
11-08-16, 12:12
Dose 5 yesterday. What I notice every time, around 2 hours after taking the tablet, my face gets numb at one side. Usually on the left side, but also noticed it on the right. I just get totally zoned out also. I slept ok last night with the normal headache.

Woke up this morning and was dry-heaving again and coughing quite a bit but nothing that isn't tolerable. Feel so tired. I think the tiredness is maybe one of the worst things about the initial doses. Getting up from bed in mornings is difficult, and leaving the sofa during the day is a struggle. The headaches have also failed to disappear but sometimes they aren't too bad.

I've also had vivid dreams recently but nothing that would freak me out.

I'm finding things tolerable though with the help of Diazepam, small doses at night / evening. I believe this is also contributing to my tiredness the following day. If it helps, it helps.

Dose 2 was definitely the worst so far due to waking up in the middle of the night in a small anxiety attack.

To those going through the initial side effects also, I recommend keeping busy. Even if it's reading, playing a game or browsing the web. I am coming onto this site just to post my experiences so far and keep tabs on this thread, however I have made a clear decision to avoid all forums / websites based around anxiety and medication. This makes me think too much, and I feel I need to begin moving away from such things if I don't want it to play on my mind all day.

I'll keep the thread updated as the days go on. Sending good luck to those in the same situation at present.

RobTheRobot
13-08-16, 20:57
Thought I should update this.

Been on Cit 1 week now.. 10mg and took 8th dose today. Nothing to report other than whats been said.. seeing no improvement so far but remaining hopeful. I have noticed that if I allow myself to sleep in a bit, the morning sickness isn't there. Yesterday I slept until 10:30am and, while I was exhausted, I didn't feel sick. This morning I woke at 8am and I was dry heaving to the point my head hurt.

Headaches are still there but manageable. Feeling of dread of returning as I MUST get back to work on Monday. I've used up all of my sick leave and cant afford time off. This will be the big test, but I remain hopeful that it's the distraction I need. I'm dreading Monday morning however.

Appetite hasn't fully returned. Used to love my grub, now I need to force food down. I managed a reasonable dinner today with the kids and I felt this was an achievement. I dont want them to know I'm ill but its difficult. In the past 3 or 4 weeks I've lost around 1 stone.

Neck stiffness and tension is also becoming an issue. If I try to rub my neck to give some relief it causes pain. This is one of the more frustrating side effects as I constantly notice it. Vicious circle begins.

I've taken myself out of the house with a few drives. It felt good returning home in a reasonably calm state of mind.

I have been using Diazepam to get through this, however never more than 2mg a day.. and not everyday either. I now have no reservations about using Diazepam to help.

I have 2 weeks to wait before seeing my doc, he didnt mention upping the dose.. so I will have been on 10mg for 3 weeks by the time I see him. I'm happy to remain at this dosage for the time being as I dont know how well I could handle the initial side effects again when upping the dose.

I also found a great android app to educate and learn more about this awful anxiety. I recommend searching for "Stop anxiety and panic self help" and have a read at the articles.

Hope you are all well and looking after yourselves.

RobTheRobot
18-08-16, 18:36
Coming up to dose 13.. so nearly 2 weeks on 10mg. Back to work also.

No improvement to be reported. Heightened anxiety in work. Morning sickness still hasn't shifted. Been using Diazepam on and off but it's not really touching the anxiety in the mornings or in work. Dry heaving still continues.

Also feeling generally tired. Getting lost in conversation in work helps but sometimes I find myself not listening to people and lost in my own head.

So far... its been grim.

Mojo61
18-08-16, 20:40
Hi Rob. Sorry to hear you are feeling so rotten. The morning anxiety is really bad for me too, I would say it is by far the worst thing about this whole anxiety business. I used to wake up so happy after a good night's sleep but now I sleep fitfully throughout the night, waking several times and unable to get back to sleep (usually wake up about 3.30 - 4am) and then I lie there tossing and turning, thoughts racing, until it is light enough to get up.
I'm now 7 weeks into my 20mg increase (was on 10mg for 3 months prior to this) and I've had some good days - I had a run of about 10 days when the morning anxiety was virtually nil, but now I'm in a blip and the symptoms have returned. I'm just praying they p*** off sometime soon and I can get back to feeling good again.

It's a bloody long process I've discovered - months and months, not weeks like the pamphlet inside the box tells you. Keep on trucking, you're doing great!

Oh and yes, the sick feeling and dry heaving is awful so I really feel for you on that one.

Andy1718
18-08-16, 20:41
Just hang in there. My side effects were awful but stayed in bed for two weeks. Just stop thinking about when you will feel better and just know that it will happen.

Mojo61
18-08-16, 20:43
It's really difficult not to think about when you will feel better though isn't it when every fibre in your body is screaming out for relief?

RobTheRobot
12-11-16, 10:37
Well, I think it's time I updated this thread. It's good news.

I started this thread around 4 months ago and it was only around 2 weeks ago that I have now started to feel like my old self again. I have been moved up to 40mg and have been feeling great ever since.

I made the decision to stop posting here as I found a key element to getting over this is to try and carry on with life and not think about anxiety. This included cutting all research out, stopping posting on forums, and doing things outdoors that I normally would be hesitant to do. Easier said than done.. I know. I had some really bad days.

I struggled in supermarkets, trains, work... it was with me during most of my awake hours. But my advice is to be persistent and talk to family and friends. Their understanding makes it feel like you are not doing this alone. If your friends or family are skepitcal or if you feel they don't understand, bring them to your next doctor's appointment.

Moving to 40mg (around 2-3 weeks ago) was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Side effects lasted maybe 48 hours and even then they were not severe. Nothing like when I started on 10mg months ago. I strongly urge those who are hesitant about upping their dose to ask themselves if they would benefit from it. At one point, when I was on 20mg, my doctor advised me to stop taking citalopram as he felt I wasn't receiving any benefit. I asked him if I could perservere, as I was getting a little relief but I wasn' "quite there" and I thought that maybe upping the dose would help. I came this far, so I might as well go big or go home. It was the best decision I made.

As you can also tell from my previous posts, I was hesitant to take diazepam at first. I can promise you now that the thoughts of diazepam now don't cross my mind. While I was on 20mg cit, I needed the diazepam to help me get on with things. I was becoming increasingly worried that I would be a benzo addict.. but as soon as the cit was giving me great benefit on 40mg I completely forgot about benzos. I have a box of diazepam still unopened from my last appointment. I went from 2mg - 4mg per day and was able to stop without any problems at all.

4 months may seem like a long time to get the full benefits from cit, but I am glad I waited it out. I won't say I'm 100% cured, there is no cure in tablet form, but I can do so much more now without even thinking about it. I strongly advise speaking to your doctor and being open about your dose and how you feel. Give the cit time and don't give up! If you have been given diazepam to help, use them as instructed by your doctor. I caused myself a lot of added worry due to diazepam which I didn't really need to worry about. Everyone is different though, and speaking honestly with your doctor will get you on the right path.

As of right now.. I feel normal. Cit won't make you bounce of the walls and walk around with a big cheesy grin on your face. It will give you room to think rationally, it will level you out, and you can then begin rebuilding yourself. I still struggle in the mornings and it takes me around a hour to sort myself out (by the time I'm on the train to work, I'm feeling fine).

For those out there still feeling rough, I beg you.. be patient! You will get better.

I guess I'll update this thread when I decide to come off cit.. but I don't think it will be soon.

Conni
21-11-16, 11:15
This gave me hope. Glad to hear your feeling good! :)

RobTheRobot
27-11-16, 09:40
Thanks Conni. Again the key is to stay patient. It took so long to work for me and I'm sure everyone is different. I hope you're back to your old self soon

Qualified_Survivor
28-11-16, 11:20
interesting that you came to the realisation that an important part of recovery is to stop the obsessive research and constant dwelling on the condition. I was fortunate in that very early on in my treatment my GP gave me the same advice.
I'm still taking cit and have found it incredibly beneficial. I'm much calmer, more relaxed and learning to enjoy life again. My partner, who has been very supportive throughout, is a lot happier too:)