PDA

View Full Version : anti depressants and pregabalin

shiznit76
09-08-16, 08:28
What anti depressants can you take along with pregabalin other than SSRIs?

hanshan
09-08-16, 12:40
I think any of them, because the action is different. Pregabalin slows release of neurotransmitters, so there is not the problem of build-up that you get in serotonin syndrome. But please, I'm not qualified to give medical advice of this nature.

shiznit76
09-08-16, 13:32
Does anyone here take anti depressants along with their pregabalin?

hanshan
10-08-16, 02:23
I take mirtazapine with pregabalin - it's not an SSRI.

SmilingAlbert
10-08-16, 12:16
Ditto.

It seems to be quite a good calming combination for many people, though as both can lead to appetite increases, weight gain can be a problem so dietary discipline is required to avoid this.

Albert

akb
10-08-16, 14:10
As far as I know Pregabs is s calcium channel blocker nerve medication not a brain one like an SSRI

It can be taken with any antidepressants. Finding the balance in dosage is a bit of a problem.

I'm now on 30 mg cymbalta SNRI and 200 mg Pregaba

Hope this helps

akb. xx

shiznit76
10-08-16, 15:02
Does this work well for you?
Did it take a while to got dosage correct?

Jules_70
10-08-16, 15:25
Hi, I'm new to this site and I suffer with really bad GAD.

I am very sensitive to many medications, last week I started taking Pregabalin 25mg 3 times a day. I am feeling very dizzy, dry mouth and blurry eye sight. It has helped a bit with my anxiety although I am still finding I am getting moments during the day and night when my anxiety lets me know that it is still there! I know I am on a low dose but at the moment my GP wont increase the dose until the side affects settle down. I know every one is different but do the side affects settle down and if so how long did it take. So fed up of feeling anxious and sick to the stomach along with the side affects. Just want to get my life back of track again.:hugs:

shiznit76
10-08-16, 15:30
I am like you, and whe I started I did just 25mg/day then worked up 25mg extra every 4-5 days, and didn't suffer any side effects at all

Jules_70
10-08-16, 17:49
I started on 50mg a day, 1 25mg in the morning and then another before i went to bed, the side affects where minimal. Then after 4 days i took and extra 25mg in the afternoon. The first night of doing that I had heart palpations and felt really out of it, I get heart flutters which could be the anxiety. I don't feel that great on 75mg a day but I know i need to give it more of a chance. Just not sure how much longer I can take feeling like this. I am also having some counselling to help me cope with the anxiety, which helps to a point. I know I have to be patient with the pregabalin and counselling but I am so fed up of feeling like this! If the pregabalin doesn't work for me I really dont know what else I can take as I either cant tolerate it or I am unable to take it as it gives me a long QT with my heart. Thanks for replying.:)

akb
11-08-16, 03:01
Everyone responds differently to different medication.

For example, I couldn't handle mirtazapine because of leg cramps and frequent urination

Side effects usually subside after 2 weeks or so. With pregabalin, dizziness is the main problem but it will go away.

Starting on a low dose and working up to a higher dose slowly is the correct way to go, as my doc advised.

I would suggest that heart palpitations are anxiety related rather than side effects. Check the other sections of this site for the techniques to calm your nerves.

akb