PDA

View Full Version : Exhaustion after event that caused anxiety.

Fay13
09-08-16, 15:10
Hi,

This weekend I had my cousin's wedding which I had been really anxious about for ages beforehand. I was freaking out about the travelling there, sitting through the ceremony, the reception, travelling home, plus my mum always causes me lots of extra stress. I went to it on Saturday, had such a bad time on the trains on the way there but once that was over I settled in and really enjoyed it. The journey back was nowhere near as bad and I had Monday off work as I thought I would need an extra day to just decompress, for want of a better word. But I am now absolutely exhausted despite sleeping for hours, does it sound like it could be to do with being so anxious all weekend/for the weeks leading up to the wedding? I didn't actually have a panic attack, which normally totally wipes me out and only really felt bad on the way there but does anyone think that maybe its just the cumulative effect catching up with me? I had sort of hoped to feel almost like a weight had been lifted after the wedding but maybe that was too optimistic!

Holds1325
09-08-16, 19:29
Hi there,

To answer your question, the exhaustion could be from anxiety most definitely. When we enter anxiety/panic states our body uses up alot of energy to help us transition into the fight or flight mode just incase we need to protect ourselves or flee from danger because thats what the body thinks is happening when you are scared, the body prepares for survival.

Certain events can trigger anxiety because of all the factors and worries we think about. Its best to calm those thoughts and just let life roll by no matter what we're doing. Way easier said that done though.

Sometimes i have to attend events like weddings and funerals (funerals are the worst for my anxiety) and I just go into it as this is life, lets roll along with it and soon its over. Its like trying to fight a huge ocean wave when its best to just ride along with it and save your energy for something worthwhile.

Ditapage
10-08-16, 02:44
Absolutely! I would get extreme exhaustion after any exposure therapy. Psychologist said we use ten times more energy doing "normal things" than non anxious people.