PDA

View Full Version : Sudden vertigo

shotta287
10-08-16, 18:21
Hi all,
Everything was fine up until a few hours ago after playing some football in the garden. I was sat down and suddenly felt as if the room was spinning. The sensation doesn't come when standing or walking but when I lie down it returns and when I tilt my head downwards or to the side. Its got me seriously worried, I can also feel pressure and a pulse in my head and feel a but nauseous. I don't know whether it is a migraine or something but I would appreciate any advice! Thanks :)

katyfitz
10-08-16, 19:27
Sometimes when we rush around all of our adrenaline rushes to the one place, you've probably over done it and maybe not had a lot to eat or drank enough water.

Put a film on or watch your favourite programme (if you can see ok) and hopefully thinking less negatively will have an impact on your symptoms for the better.

X

InfiniteJ
10-08-16, 19:42
katyfitz is right, you just need to try and preoccupy yourself; I'm sure the vertigo will fade before you know it.

Gary A
10-08-16, 22:14
This sounds like benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

Basically, your sense of balance is controlled by fluid in a part of your inner ear known as the otolith. When you move your head, the fluid moves with it and gives you your sense of balance and spatial awareness. This is why you get dizzy after you spin, the fluid is still revolving even though you aren't, thus creating a sense of motion.

BPPV is caused by small crystals in the otolith coming loose and creating a false sense of movement. It is a very common, perfectly harmless condition.

See your doctor, it is usually easily corrected by a manouvre known as the Eplay manoeuvre. This can performed by your doctor in the surgery.

shotta287
10-08-16, 22:40
This sounds like benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

Basically, your sense of balance is controlled by fluid in a part of your inner ear known as the otolith. When you move your head, the fluid moves with it and gives you your sense of balance and spatial awareness. This is why you get dizzy after you spin, the fluid is still revolving even though you aren't, thus creating a sense of motion.

BPPV is caused by small crystals in the otolith coming loose and creating a false sense of movement. It is a very commonly , perfectly harmless condition.

See your doctor, it is usually easily corrected by a manouvre known as the Eplay manoeuvre. This can performed by your doctor in the surgery.

Yes, Googling my symptoms brought on a lot of dread but I also read of this condition. Can it come on all of a sudden out of the blue though?

Gary A
10-08-16, 22:58
Yes, Googling my symptoms bought on a lot of dread but I also read of this condition. Can it come on all of a sudden out of the blue though?

Yes, absolutely. Sometimes it can be caused by an injury to the ear or a minor infection, but generally there's never really any reason it happens.

The fact it comes on when you're lying down and when you're tilting your head points 100% to BPPV. The symptoms are brought on by head movement.

I really wouldn't worry about this, it's food and drink to a doctor and it will cause you absolutely no harm whatsover. It is by far the most common cause of vertigo.

Noivous
11-08-16, 00:55
I think it can also be caused by stress and anxiety.

shotta287
11-08-16, 15:36
Id advise people not to google causes of sudden vertigo as its got me worried that I may have meniere's disease!

Kuatir
11-08-16, 16:13
I was dizzy for weeks at the height of my anxiety. It was scary, but I got through it.

Dr Google has had a patchy education and a poor memory. He'll tell you different things and completely confuse you. Nobody needs that!

Phuzella
11-08-16, 20:20
Definitely sounds like BPPV, I've had that.