PDA

View Full Version : How are you managing your HA?

Drisque
11-08-16, 21:31
For the last six months or so I've been completely consumed by HA. I can't recall a time where its ever been this severe. My question for those of you with HA (if it's appropriate to ask) is, how are you holding it together? I am currently waiting to meet with a psychologist, but am really in need of some help during my wait. My GP prescribed me an antidepressant, but that can take weeks to work. My main problem is Dr. Google, I just can't seem to free myself from the psychological hooks it has embedded in me. It's almost as if there's an existing symbiotic relationship with myself and Google lol. Does anyone have any tips that help you stay off google? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

KeeKee
11-08-16, 21:36
What ultimately stopped me from seeing Dr Google, was realising that it was making my life hell. I used to sit for hours googling, now I very, very rarely Google. Eventually you will stop, I'm quite confident of that. That was what kept my health anxiety at its peak for so long. Google is your enemy.

The challenge is breaking that habit

ServerError
11-08-16, 21:38
This very long post explains (eventually) how I dealt with it. Yes, 'dealt'. Past tense. :)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187141

Also check out some of the stickies and the success stories forum.

dale12345
11-08-16, 21:41
I am working with my Psychiatrist and just found a therapist. Been walking everyday and lifting light weights. Been listening to relaxing meditation music at night. Trying to stay busy.

nicol1333
11-08-16, 21:42
My psychologist knew I was having a hard time with Dr Google too so he had me go to serious medical websites and make 3x5 cards using statistics as my guide. For instance I worry A lot about ovarian cancer but statistically it only makes up 1.3% of all new cancer cases and there is only going to be estimated 22,280 cases in the United States in 2016. I carry these around and try to reassure myself with facts.

Hope this makes sense!

Lockey1995
11-08-16, 21:43
Working on cbt atm but not allot better :(

ServerError
11-08-16, 21:49
Working on cbt atm but not allot better :(

It took me quite a few sessions to really notice it helping me. Stick with it. It would be good if you could see your therapist more regularly.

dale12345
11-08-16, 21:53
My therapist is going to start CBT with me.

Drisque
11-08-16, 22:33
ServerError,

That was a very insightful and lengthy post. I have literally went through everything you described at one point or another. The thing I struggle with most, aside from dr. Google, is the physical symptoms I get from anxiety. They are typically jello like limbs, fatigued, that strange sense of altered vision youdescribed, headaches, abdominal pains, loss of appetite and occasional bouts of weight loss. All of those symptoms on top of my original trigger keeps me googling. In my head those symptoms mean that it's probably cancer, and it's spreading! Your story will definitely resonate. Thanks for your input.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am in such a state of heightened anxiety that I just may try them all. I've gone basically my entire life without being able to talk to someone about this, it's really helpful just knowing I'm not alone with these thoughts/feelings.

dale12345
11-08-16, 23:11
How long does CBT therapy take to start work. I know everyone is different.

nicol1333
11-08-16, 23:23
I feel like CBT works if YOU do the work. I've been going for about a year and a half but truthfully have only been committed to the exercises and breaking of habits for a little while now. I do believe it works and you'll feel in control again in no time.

drisque-
Please know we have all been where you are. I'm actually having a hard time with somatic symptoms right now. It's a struggle and it can make me feel down right crazy. But we're all here to help each other though it.

dale12345
11-08-16, 23:59
Ok thanks I am more than willing to do the work, the meds are starting to help and I am at a point were I want to be at my most healthy physically and mentally. This site has been so helpful.

ServerError
12-08-16, 00:37
Ok thanks I am more than willing to do the work, the meds are starting to help and I am at a point were I want to be at my most healthy physically and mentally. This site has been so helpful.

If this really is your attitude, you stand a very good chance. CBT takes time and it doesn't help everybody, but those it does help have generally played a big part in their own recovery. Stick with it.

dale12345
12-08-16, 03:13
I will thanks.

dale12345
13-08-16, 23:57
Googling was how all this started, I quite and it helped.

Drisque
14-08-16, 04:06
I've had HA since I was a child. My mom had this medical book that she would read to me every night, diagnosing us with different illnesses, and unknowingly planting a seed of anxiety that would eventually grow to what it is today. Ultimately it was google that sent me spiraling out of control, and into the depressive state I'm currently in. I tried to block medical sites on Google once, but the compulsions to search grew do strong that I eventually gave in and unblocked those sites, and all the progress I had made right along with it. All this time the illness i had (HA) was causing me to obsess over illnesses that didn't pertain to me. Oh the irony.

ServerError
14-08-16, 05:41
I've had HA since I was a child. My mom had this medical book that she would read to me every night, diagnosing us with different illnesses, and unknowingly planting a seed of anxiety that would eventually grow to what it is today. Ultimately it was google that sent me spiraling out of control, and into the depressive state I'm currently in. I tried to block medical sites on Google once, but the compulsions to search grew do strong that I eventually gave in and unblocked those sites, and all the progress I had made right along with it. All this time the illness i had (HA) was causing me to obsess over illnesses that didn't pertain to me. Oh the irony.

Interesting to hear of how it started for you.

When I was a kid, I was such a nerd - I was the six year old who used to bury his head in atlases and knew every capital city before he'd had all his childhood jabs! My parents gave me a mini encyclopaedia which I devoured. I was only about seven or eight but I remember being fascinated by the medical section. I would read about all the horrific diseases there are in the world. It didn't seem to affect me at the time, but I realise I became aware of the capacity humans have for suffering at way too early an age, and I've been prone to existential thinking ever since.

Drisque
14-08-16, 05:57
It seems as though our childhoods weren't too far off from one another. Before I developed HA I would constantly worry about my loved ones. For instance, whenever I would find myself separated from my parents I would begin to obsessively worry about their safety. The same goes for my siblings until I eventually began worrying about my own health as well. I wonder, did you have a similar anxiety progression?

ServerError
14-08-16, 07:33
It seems as though our childhoods weren't too far off from one another. Before I developed HA I would constantly worry about my loved ones. For instance, whenever I would find myself separated from my parents I would begin to obsessively worry about their safety. The same goes for my siblings until I eventually began worrying about my own health as well. I wonder, did you have a similar anxiety progression?

Actually I've never been overly worried about my family's health, which is surprising given that my mum has MS and diabetes. She handles it so well, though.

I only had a brief - albeit terrifying - dalliance with health anxiety after a panic attack made me fear for my life. However, I've always been anxious person. For me, it's always been about fears of not fitting in, not being able to interest girls (might sound trivial but it's still a problem to this day and can be very upsetting) and, above all, being picked on, demeaned and bullied for my entire school life, despite never knowing what I was doing to antagonise people.

I still carry it around with me.

dale12345
14-08-16, 18:41
ServerError it's not trivial it's important to you. I have always been fascinated about medical things. Was a nurses aid and went to school to be a nurse. I used to read medical books for fun. I think in the end it was not good for me.

GirlAfraid23
14-08-16, 18:54
No meds but therapy.

SmithsFan
15-08-16, 16:35

I know exactly what you mean. It was only after I got ill with HA last year that I spoke to my sister about it and discovered she'd had similar problems her whole life and had gone to a child psychologist when she was younger. I'm six years younger so was oblivious to all this.

Our parents are older than most (both still in good health to this day though) so we had lost all our grandparents and several aunties and uncles while we were still young. Death seemed everywhere when we were younger and we agreed that this has been a significant factor in us developing HA.

If my dad was late home I would convince myself he had been killed in a car crash and pray for him to be okay. He worked away for a year and a half and I didn't speak to him for a couple of weeks and I was convinced he was dead and no one had told me.

As I've gotten older I think I've internalised a lot of this and as that's happened, HA has become a selfish thing. I obsess over my own health and forget my wife or parents have doctor appointments.

Drisque
15-08-16, 21:25
It's strange how HA initially develops, and grows into something that will ruin your life if you let it. I've actually began to fall back into worrying about loved ones, and myself of course. Just last night my daughter was complaining of a headache and my immediate thought was meningitis, i was surfing dr. Google, and in a complete panic. I eventually settled myself down.

Minivil
15-08-16, 21:47
Managing? Trying to stay busy, if I'm feeling compulsions to check my "symptoms" by palpitation/google, I read here.

I have been doing some thinking about when/where this started...my aunt died and left her two children when she was my age precisely. My anxiety started shortly thereafter and has gone into remission (so to speak) for long spells (years) and only recently--go figure, the age she died--come back to bite me in the a$$.

Therapy, exercise, keeping up with appointments, staying off the internet, and distraction worked long term. It's tough while in the middle of it though.

conan
15-08-16, 23:53
i *think* i'm doing a bit better than i was six months ago but it can be hard to tell since it comes in waves. i've seen a psychologist and a psychiatrist, tinkered with my meds, and am going to the gym. i can at least function normally and be a good employee/husband/father, even if i struggle to feel normal or happy a lot of the time, so i guess i should feel thankful for that.

Drisque
16-08-16, 00:13
i *think* i'm doing a bit better than i was six months ago but it can be hard to tell since it comes in waves. i've seen a psychologist and a psychiatrist, tinkered with my meds, and am going to the gym. i can at least function normally and be a good employee/husband/father, even if i struggle to feel normal or happy a lot of the time, so i guess i should feel thankful for that.

How have your meds been working? I too will be staying meds here soon, escitolapram to be exact. I'm a bit weary of taking them, as the side effects seem to be quite miserable, and everyone I've asked thus far has experienced them.

conan
16-08-16, 00:25
How have your meds been working? I too will be staying meds here soon, escitolapram to be exact. I'm a bit weary of taking them, as the side effects seem to be quite miserable, and everyone I've asked thus far has experienced them.

well as it happens i've been on escitalopram at various doses (10mg for years, up to 20mg recently) and personally have barely had any side effects. a couple of days of light-headedness and weird dreams at the start, and also it tends to, uhh, "keep the wolf from the door" during sex, so to speak. but my personality/enjoyment of life has never been adversely affected and it's been pretty much a miracle for me. i shudder to think where i'd be without it. good luck, may you have as much luck with it as me. :)

Drisque
16-08-16, 00:47
well as it happens i've been on escitalopram at various doses (10mg for years, up to 20mg recently) and personally have barely had any side effects. a couple of days of light-headedness and weird dreams at the start, and also it tends to, uhh, "keep the wolf from the door" during sex, so to speak. but my personality/enjoyment of life has never been adversely affected and it's been pretty much a miracle for me. i shudder to think where i'd be without it. good luck, may you have as much luck with it as me. :)

Your experience gives some optimism regarding escitolapram. Thanks alot for your reply, I really needed that.