PDA

View Full Version : Irony of health anxiety

AnxietySufferer
12-08-16, 21:56
Hey Guys,

I decided to write a post about how ironic and irrational my worries were in the past to help get me through my current anxiety.

also i look at the number of posts, (that were at least monthly by the way) listing almost every symptom of every illness, when i look back I've had bowel cancer, brain tumours, heart conditions, lung problems, stomach issues migraines sight problems.. and well although the anxious mind thinks but what if its different this time and i miss something serious because I've put it down to anxiety...

The honest truth is that I can't have all of those things i LISTED above so, why let it consume me and take over my life?

So, after 3 years of anxiety I am a LOT better than I once was at recognising the symptoms.

I have even began opening up with some of my close friends (not something that comes easily to me- I can tell you)...

I was very much the kind of person that would pretend everything was okay.

and although my health anxiety has been bad at the moment I am just having a realisation of how far I have actually come.

In the hope that this will help someone else get through another day!

:yesyes:

Sending hugs and positivity to you all !!!!!!

xxxxxxxx

maya77
12-08-16, 22:13
Yeah, same here. I've had health anxiety for at least 20 years now. And it is really funny looking back on all the illnesses I was convinced I had - ankylosing spondylitis (yes :wacko:, because my upper back hurt, due to tension and anxiety), blood disorders, worrying about moles, feeling of a lump in throat etc, etc. These are all somatic symptoms - anxiety that manifests as physical sensations. So as long as it's something I've already had I know it's psychosomatic and I ignore it, but if a new symptom comes along then I start thinking - What if it is some illness?
The latest such symptom appeared this summer in the guise of fatigue. I've never experienced such prolonged fatigue and I started focusing on it, thinking about possible causes - anemia, ms...so had to do a blood test just to make sure. It came back normal...and a few weeks after the fatigue disappeared.
It's all about not having such panicky reactions and refraining yourself from ruminating on it.

Budgieboy
12-08-16, 23:03
My list of illnesses I have believed I have had over the years is also long and extensive.

pulisa
13-08-16, 08:49
Yeah, same here. I've had health anxiety for at least 20 years now. And it is really funny looking back on all the illnesses I was convinced I had - ankylosing spondylitis (yes :wacko:, because my upper back hurt, due to tension and anxiety), blood disorders, worrying about moles, feeling of a lump in throat etc, etc. These are all somatic symptoms - anxiety that manifests as physical sensations. So as long as it's something I've already had I know it's psychosomatic and I ignore it, but if a new symptom comes along then I start thinking - What if it is some illness?
The latest such symptom appeared this summer in the guise of fatigue. I've never experienced such prolonged fatigue and I started focusing on it, thinking about possible causes - anemia, ms...so had to do a blood test just to make sure. It came back normal...and a few weeks after the fatigue disappeared.
It's all about not having such panicky reactions and refraining yourself from ruminating on it.

Great post and so true