PDA

View Full Version : Ms Fear

Alder
22-03-07, 16:11
I have had acute health anxiety for 1and a half years now.For the last 2 months I have been experiencing Lower back pain, buttock muscle pain and pins and needles in my calves and feet.My doctor tested me for sciatica,lifting one leg up and then the other and said it is not sciatica.Prodded my back and said it is muscular.I was given exercises to do to strenghten back and tummy muscles.It felt better after 6 weeks but yesterday i done tia chi for the first time, this morning I have sore buttock muscles and tingling in my calves and toes.
I also have bowel and bladder problems.Have had blood tests, Stool analysis,sigmoidoscopy, consultant seems to think ibs.Bladder problems are worse when bloated symptoms are urge to go feeling and sometimes feel not quite finished and go again. Urine sent to lab 4 times came back once with traces of blood last one was ok.Doctor suggested irritable bladder.

Could this be ms.Doctor not willing to go down that route.Is putting everything down to stress and anxiety.Very concerned.Advice welcomed. thanks

RLR
22-03-07, 18:19
What in the world makes you think you possibly have Multiple Sclerosis?

While the signs and symptoms of MS are variable, particularly with relapsing/remitting form, the general characteristics are unmistakable. I don't see anything at all among your symptoms that would make MS among my list of possible differential diagnoses and I can assure you that as a neurologist, I've seen more than my fair share of MS patients. I certainly don't have the benefit of first-hand examination but I'm going to stand with your doctor in this case and call this somataform secondary to anxiety disorder for the time being. There's just nothing there that would make me even interested in looking for MS.

You'll be fine.

samc100
24-03-07, 17:26
I had similiar symptons. I see an Osteopath and they have just about gone and I have learnt various diet tricks for the bloating stomach problems.

If you can - phone around and see if any deal with IBS/stress related stuff and see what they say. Your adrenalin gland is in your lower back on the right hand side and caused me much misery. That is behaving much better now!

RLR
24-03-07, 20:40
The description of the "adrenalin gland' is incorrect. There are 2 adrenaline glands and they are positioned at the apex of each kidney. The symptoms being described by Alder are not consistent with disorders of the adrenalin glands.

Again, posting responses to this particular forum are meant to be answered by qualified physicians. Please take note.

Alder
27-03-07, 15:08
Thankyou RLr for your reply.I forgot to add that I am also fatigued all the time.Dr tested me for anemia,Done a full blood count, came back within normal readings.My eyes are also sore,sensitive to light,strained,and the red vessels in them seem really red.Had an eye test last year was ok.Mentioned to dr she shone a light in my eyes and gave me gel to make them comfortable. The buttock muscle pain is back again today.RLR I thought Ms was variable.Are you sure With these added symptoms it doesnt look suspicious to you.Eye problems,Fatigue,Muscle pain and stiffness,Bladder and bowel problems.Would a white cell scan show up ms at all.I had one of those also when they were investigating bowel problems.

RLR
27-03-07, 17:38
It's important to remember that my opinions posted here are not intended in any way as diagnostic or represented as formal medical consult, but merely medical information. If you are concerned, despite the information provided, I must encourage you to seek whatever tests you feel warranted. Again, based upon the symptoms you are describing, I would not consider Multiple Sclerosis as a differential diagnosis.