PDA

View Full Version : Daughter

dale12345
13-08-16, 19:27
Have a 9 year old daughter, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I should explain my anxiety to her?

KeeKee
13-08-16, 20:35
I too have a 9 year old. I think it's an individual matter. I haven't told my daughter but if I decided I would, I'd just directly tell her.

Each child is different though.

dale12345
13-08-16, 20:36
Yes they are. Just want her to have a great carefree childhood.

KeeKee
13-08-16, 20:51
I'm sure she will. I've had depression since my daughter was 8 months and she is just like any other kid. Her life is less 'fun' than other kids as I can't take her places on my own due to my depression and lack of funds but she is thriving at school and very strong minded. More so than me.

Do you think she can tell you are anxious?

Being a parent is hard but it's relentless when you have mental health issues.

dale12345
13-08-16, 23:34
I think she can , I don't tell her but she and I are really close. She isn't having any problems. Money is always an issue for me too. Are you a single mom?

dale12345
14-08-16, 03:54
I think I am going to explain it to her, just because I think she is curious about it and she is pretty mature for her age. Just always feel guilty about everything, but I think that's the depression talking

Mermaid16
14-08-16, 05:17
I have a 10 year old girl and an 8 year old boy. I have told them. They are very understanding, although they probably don't really understand if that makes sense. The way I tried to explain it to my kids is that everyone gets sick at some stage during their life, that is a normal part of life. So right now Mummy is sick, but she won't be sick forever. They have seen me cry which has upset them (which I hate), but explained that I am not sad, I am tired and frustrated. I then tried to explain it to them, that it is like when they have a big day and they are tired and they might get snappy easier or might get upset easier because they are tired. I've also tried to explain what a panic attack feels like, like standing in front of a big brown bear, but there is no bear there. Kids are are very adaptable and I think it is better to be honest them to leave them wondering and coming up with their own ideas about what is going on. That is just my opinion. Tracy xx

dale12345
14-08-16, 18:42
Thank you.

georgewing
15-08-16, 12:58
Well take it easy and will understand .Dont focus on the thing that will not understand you focus on pozitive

dale12345
15-08-16, 22:45
Thanks.

Magic
15-08-16, 23:53
I have a Granddaughter 8 years old, I have bad days. on these days I just say I am not well today, will you help me? She understands ,I think her Mother tells her stuff as she understands too. Her other grand mother is not like me at all, she is always full of life and it makes me feel guilty. I am ashamed of myself :shrug:

dale12345
16-08-16, 01:03
That's depression and anxiety for you, makes you always feel guilty.