PDA

View Full Version : Cat scratch fever?!

Savvy_Darling
14-08-16, 06:46
I found a kitten today and I took him in in hopes of rescuing him and raising him. It's probably 3 weeks old and black. I was afraid of it getting killed and I have such a soft spot for animals so here I am. After talking to my mom through tears of course.. I decided that tomorrow morning I'll call the animal shelter (it's no kill also) and have them take care of him as this is really overwhelming and with anxiety this type of stress doesn't do us too good .. I'm now in panic mode because the kitten has some minor eye discharge and since he's been here he's sneezed like 3x (been here for about 7 hours)... Google has me terrified this thing could be sick with something. So on top of that even though I've kept my other cats seperated from this little one I'm worried they could get sick now.. My one cat smelled the small one a couple times but that was it. Like I said I wanted to keep them seperated. But I'm so scared that handling the kitten and then later petting my cats that they're gonna get feline herpes or whatever this kitten could be sick with. (If he even is) and on top of that I noticed a minor scratch on my wrist I must have got from the kitten and now after reading about cat scratch fever or an infection spreading to my heart or brain I'm literally freaking out. This scratch isn't at all deep except for a small red pin dot in the scratch.. I don't know if I could get seriously ill.. I've been scratched by my cats way worse and have been fine in the past it's just this is a kitten I found outside.
I just wanted to help this little guy and now anxiety has caused this whole situation into a nightmare. I'm crying because I just want this kitten to survive and get the right care and checked up. I just don't have any money to take him to a vet so the animal shelter is best and hopefully they can let me adopt him when he's of right age.
I'm just freaking out and my boyfriend doesn't understand and I think he's mad I'm giving him to the shelter. :( all while I'm worried I'm going to get seriously sick from this little scratch. Ugh. Help anyone!! Anyone help me through all this...
Also attached pic of scratch.. Could this kill me ?

ServerError
14-08-16, 07:29
Google has me terrified

Yeah, it does that to health anxious folk like ourselves.

I admire your compassion towards this poor little cat. My sister is the same - she's always picking up waifs and strays. She can't leave cats alone.

But she's still alive and well. In a few days that scratch will be nothing. You'll be absolutely fine.

Are you taking any steps to tackle the real issue here?

MyNameIsTerry
14-08-16, 07:50
It's best he gets some attention in case he is unwell. If you can't afford a vet, a shelter is the best thing. The most important thing is that he is cared for and you are sorting that out.

The best thing would be to ask them what they think as they must see this stuff all the time. If they suspect he has an illness, you can follow up on it then. And your cats will have had all their various shots anyway so hopefully they are covered regardless.

Beyond that, anxiety is doing the rest. Whether you possible did or did not have anything, only anxious people react in this way. That suggests things are skewed and the anxiety driving your fears is leaning towards the predictable dangerous things rather than considering everything else.

Well done for helping him out!

Savvy_Darling
14-08-16, 10:06
Server error- yea I love cats and when I seen him I couldn't just keep walking. I just think I took in more than I cOuld handle.. That's what happens when you have a soft heart I guess.. I'm so sentimental. I just don't want him to die.. So I started getting so anxious.. Which made me spiral with every thing else.

Terry-- yes I'm definitely calling the shelter as soon as they open. I don't even think I can sleep because I just wanna get this all handled right now. /: and figure out everything.
My scratch looks like it's starting to fade except a very small part with the tiny red pin prick looking dot... I'd like to think I'm in the clear and all the other times I've been scratched by a cat worse than this and I've been fine but all the stuff on the internet traumatized me and I can't stop thinking about meningitis or heart infections.. That's so scary :(

.Poppy.
14-08-16, 15:15
From my understanding, cat scratch fever is really rare. Think of all the shelter workers who deal with feral cats and get scratched far worse than that!

Eye infections are incredibly common in little kittens, particularly feral ones who have been exposed to the bacteria outside. Once his eyes get cleaned up and a little antibiotic on them, he'll start to heal. Sneezing could be an upper respiratory infection or something entirely harmless. Either way, your adult cats no doubt have an immune system much stronger than that little kitten and they will be just fine as a result.

The shelter will know exactly how to care for this little guy - no worries. :)

Well done on rescuing him.

Savvy_Darling
14-08-16, 16:25
Thankyou poppy! That really helps.. I'm trying to get a ride to the shelter today. I'm so worried about the little guy and it doesn't help that I've bonded with him.
I was reading something online and it says about washing your hands after dealing with them because some cat viruses can be transmitted to humans.. I have been washing my hands after I feed him and such but I'm worried that the time in between and while I'm caring for him I could get sick? I feel totally overwhelmed and all I wanted to do was save his life... This is all so stressful.

.Poppy.
14-08-16, 17:09
I suppose it is possible that you could "catch" something from him, but you also have a strong immune system - very, very unlikely you'd get seriously ill.

I've been around a lot of cats in my life including feral ones. I've handled sick cats, baby kittens that were ill, cats that were aggressive and I've gotten my fair share of scratches. I'm still here. :)

If you keep your hands washed you'll be just fine. I know the anxiety is telling you differently but you stand right up to those thoughts and tell them that they're silly and need to go away.

Savvy_Darling
14-08-16, 19:46
Hey guys, update.../
I took him to an animal shelter and gave him away. I cried while doing it because I really grew attached. My boyfriend is soo mad at me now because I gave him away. I really thought I was doing the right thing. The kitten was only 2-3 weeks old and I was taking care of him like it was my own baby... Feeding him and making sure he was okay every couple of hours. My boyfriend really wanted to keep him. I did too.. I was just so worried about expenses and making sure I took care of him right. I was worried if he was sick with sown thing my other cats could catch like I was so worried about all these things so when I took him I thought this was for the best. I haven't stopped crying about it. I keep wondering if this was right or if he was gonna die there because no foster family wanted him and he was so young. My heart aches and now I wonder if anxiety pushed me to do the wrong thing and now I cost that little thing his life. I'm crying now because I keep thinking of him. My boyfriend is mad at me but I know it's because he's sad about the kitten. I feel like I gave up a human baby for adoption.. This just all sucks and i don't know how to stop thinking so negatively. If anyone could help me cope with this it would be great. I know it's not about mthe health anymore but I know my anxiety is making me think the worst about the kitten and I reall loved his little butt so I just feel a wreck and in be heartbroken if I found out he died or was euthanized. :( how do I deal with all this.. I just don't know. :weep:

KeeKee
14-08-16, 20:18
People love kittens so he'll probably adopted immediately when he is ready so don't worry about that.

As for you feeling upset that's entirely normal, but you did what was best for everybody. Last year my partner brought a puppy home. We have 3 cats and we are financially struggling, I had already begged him not to get one. It was terrifying my cats and I was left to look after it and i had to rehome it as it was so overwhelming, I was devastated. I felt like I had betrayed the puppy etc. However months later I contacted the new owner and the puppy was doing superbly. I know I made the best decision for my family (which includes my 3 cats) and my partner soon got over it.

.Poppy.
14-08-16, 22:14
I agree, kittens get adopted really quickly.

Bottle raising baby kittens is HARD work. Unless your boyfriend was incredibly experienced and/or was willing to take on the brunt of the work himself it isn't up to him. Kittens that young can inhale milk and pass away, need round the clock care, and also need to be 'stimulated' to go to the bathroom which must be done frequently and tracked so you're sure they're going adequately. It's not for the faint of heart.

He's going to be just fine, and so are you. :)

Savvy_Darling
14-08-16, 22:28
KeeKee- thankyou that definitely helps ease my mind a little. He was extremely adorable and poses for his picture at the shelter so anyone with a heart couldn't pass him up. I hope anyway. And that's so good your puppy got a good home.. That's the best anyone could really ask for.

Poppy- yes.. I didn't even sleep last night because I had to take care of him. I felt like a new mother it was extremely overwhelming and part of the reason why I thought taking him to a shelter was best. It was too much for me even tho I loved him.. I was just constantly worrying if he was okay or if he was using the bathroom or getting enough food. I'm sure the foster families at the shelter have way more experience than I do.. And not only that but surrogate cat mothers.

Thanks for the help, I truly needed it.. I was feeling so rough. My bf seems to be in a better mindset after our nap which is good and makes me feel better.

ServerError
14-08-16, 22:45
I kinda like the fact your boyfriend felt so strongly about a cute little kitten. :)

You did the right thing, though. You gave him a chance to have a nice life. He may never have got that had you not intervened. Our rescue cat lived a very happy 20 years.

Savvy_Darling
14-08-16, 23:06
Server error- never thought of it that way

And yes, that's what I keep telling myself that I did what I could to help him. I would have loved to keep him I just didn't have the right resources to do it and like I said an incredible amount of work.. Maybe had he been older it would be a different story but man I am so tired today just from yesterday because of the kitten. I'm no mother cat and if anything I have realized I know I for sure don't want any kids in the near future.. It's crazy having to be so dedicated and giving all your time and energy to another being. I know I bonded with him so giving him away was like giving away my child.. :( but like you said I gave him a chance to have a better life. I just hope so much he's doing okay and I try not to think of it because I'll get sad. I hope a foster family took him in already. When they said if no foster family or anyone would take him in that they would have to euthanize I was heart broken. So that thought tries to creep back in my mind but I reall try not to think about that and just positively. I guess that's life though... I know I wouldn't have been able to keep up with him and all that he needed.. Especially when I already have 2 cats. Sigh. I guess if I think about it there are probably so many other kittens that don't make it where I live.. There's a lot of strays so survival of the fittest. I rescued him from positive death and at least tried my best.

misslove
15-08-16, 04:20
I think you did the right thing if you can't afford the kitten. If anything happens you can always adopt him back from the shelter or take a new cat in. My daughter has cat scratch fever and she was put on antibiotics and it went right away. No problems. She has a swollen node on her neck that we went to the dr for, plus she had pink eye and he said the node was from cat scratch. It takes weeks for symptoms to show but once they so it's easily treatable and then your immunity to it for life!

MyNameIsTerry
15-08-16, 08:47
The main point is you very likely saved him. He will now get good care and providing he is healthy, I bet he will get snapped up. It's always younger animals, especially pups/kittens, that people look for (the same with human adoption too!).

We get people joining here and talking about how they have just had a new puppy and how they are so anxious. They talk about giving him/her away. I've seen this a few times since being on here, have read long running threads with multiple others in that went through it and experienced it myself since we had a pup right after my breakdown occurred. Everyone talks about how their anxiety skyrockets. The funny thing is, in all the cases I've seen it decreases after a while and they keep their pup.

So, I expect that you experienced that too. It's the extra sudden commitment, we don't think we are capable. You stayed up all night, you fussed around him to make sure he was provided & cared for. That's just says you are a good person. But you needed to get him checked out and couldn't afford a vet and so the shelter is the only other place. If you had the money, it might have been another story.

So, perhaps adopting him back is the right way? He gets the right care that way. When you do take him back, don't be surprised in your anxiety increases again BUT remember what I said about the pups on here. I can always direct you to the threads and you will see how every person on them went through it and adjusted so that they were happy with their new pup.

Savvy_Darling
15-08-16, 10:02
Terry , I can only hope that he'll be okay. It's just when the guy at the shelter said that if he was sick or no foster family could take him than he would most likely have to be euthanized because he is sooo young. :( I mean I just hated hearing it because I just wanted him to get the right care and help that I didn't think I could afford. I know people love kittens but he's such a young kitten that needs all that attention and help.. I just hope there was someone who took him and wanted to do all that. /:
I see what your saying about the commitment thing.. It was also the fact that I was scared to death of feeling like this thing depended so much on me for food and bathroom... He was just a baby.. Not like a older cat that doesn't really need all that because they can do it on their own. Idk... I just pray a family took him in and he's okay. I wish I hadn't gotten so attached.. I hate feeling like this.. Periodically crying because I think of that little kitten. I love cats so much and I just feel so bad. And I'm almost scared to go back in a few weeks to see if he's up for adoption or get them to look up his animal ID (they gave it to me when I signed the release forms) because God forbid I find out it didn't go well.. I'd be so so so freaking upset and would blame myself I know it. And not to mention my boyfriend would hate me.. And will for sure blame me for it because he didn't want me to take him there in the first place.
Ugh, I know time will heal my heart on this but it's in the meantime I wish I could cope better and not feel so broken up about this. Why must I have such a sensitive heart.. :(
I can tell you one thing.. With all this going on not once have I cared about me health or worried about that.. I guess a broken heart would do that to you.

thanks for the reply Terry, much appreciated. And if that kitten is meant to be in my life than he'll be in adoption and I'll find him again. :(

flipp
15-08-16, 11:14
Hi :D.
I like the title of your thread.
Cat Scratch Fever it could be the title of a new blues song.:yesyes:.

Captain irrational
15-08-16, 17:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8S58CYQqs

Fishmanpa
15-08-16, 18:28

It's an old Ted Nugent song actually...

Positive thoughts

flipp
16-08-16, 10:04
Shit just had a look,that bloke looks like Charles Manson's brother...lol.:D.

Fishmanpa
16-08-16, 13:20
Shit just had a look,that bloke looks like Charles Manson's brother...lol.:D.

And he's a staunch Republican and Trump supporter! He's gonna have a meltdown when Hillary wins... You should have seen the press when Obama won in '08 ~lol~

Positive thoughts

Minivil
16-08-16, 13:22
...this election. :doh: Where's the vomit emoticon?

MyNameIsTerry
16-08-16, 13:45
...this election. :doh: Where's the vomit emoticon?

:emot-puke::yesyes:

Savvy_Darling
16-08-16, 17:36
This thread really got sidetracked...

.Poppy.
16-08-16, 20:53
This thread really got sidetracked...

Yeah, it did kinda. :emot-drunk:

How is your scratch?

flipp
16-08-16, 22:26
:emot-puke::yesyes:

Now come on Terry,you love it all.:winks:.

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-16, 06:34
Having such compassion is a good thing, imagine how much worse it would be if you didn't care and just walked on by? It's just that you haven't got control over some of your thoughts & feelings due to your anxiety, this you can sort out but you don't want to lose compassion.

Fingers crossed for the little guy. Surely if he is sick, they will help him and only put him down if they can't? It's not good to hear they put them down if they can't foster them but lets hope that's not going to happen and kittens are very cute so they are going to go before adult cats will.

It was a lot to take on, it was just overwhelming for you at the moment. If you had the money to get him to the vets you probably would have got beyond that but you didn't have the option and needed to get him help, so that same compassionate side couldn't hang onto him if it meant he was unwell.

---------- Post added at 06:34 ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 ----------

Now come on Terry,you love it all.:winks:.

Well politics is just so mad, it makes me feel normal! :D