PDA

View Full Version : Shower rail fell and hit me on the head

GirlAfraid23
14-08-16, 11:06
As the title states.
It really hurt. Hit me on the top right hand side of my head. Really stinging and sore now.
My head hurts and I had a pain down the bridge of my nose at the same time.
I feel quite tired (it happened around an hour ago) and I've only just got up so surely shouldn't feel sleepy.

It was a plastic rail but heavy.

Should I call 111 and go to walk in centre? Or straight to A&E?

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Anybody?

MyNameIsTerry
14-08-16, 11:06
I'm sure you will be fine. If you didn't pass out or exhibit any of the signs that they say you should obtain help (see NHS Choices) then it will just be a sore head for a day or two, maybe headaches.

If it knocked you unconscious, then seeking help to determine everything is ok is what you should do.

GirlAfraid23
14-08-16, 11:12
Thank you Terry.
I keep thinking the worst as usual. You hear about people getting a knock to the head and dying a few hours or days later.

Carrie8484
14-08-16, 12:04
A large metal baking tray fell on my head last year, I was freaking out too, it hurt so bad and gave me a headache for 2 days.
I didn't pass out or lose consciousness and id forgotten about it a couple of days after.
You might have a bump and a headache but hopefully it'll be similar to my story :)

MyNameIsTerry
14-08-16, 12:09
Yeah, I know. The thing is, they only make the news because they are so unusual. The vast majority of bangs on the head like yours will never be heard of, and I bet they are happening in the thousands every day. So, try to remember the rare vs. the incredibly common here.

Think about people who take blows to the head constantly and how nothing happens to them e.g. boxers. The odds of something happening to them are far higher, yet it's very uncommon to hear of even them having such an occurrence.

GadGirl
14-08-16, 13:10
You will be fine maybe put a cold compress or some ice if there is a lump, I have the same fears last year I lifted my head up to quick st work I was looking at stuff on a shelf under the industrial dishwasher I smacked my head full force of the open door, I had a lump but I was fine xx

GirlAfraid23
14-08-16, 18:49
Ok so it's still stinging and sore in the spot it was hit and round the side near to that spot. It hurts randomly - occasional stabbing and zaps of pain. It's really horrible and really worrying me.
My pupils are the same size, I've closed my eyes and touched my nose a few times. All okay. But still got this headache and head pains. Do I call 111? Help!

nomorepanic
14-08-16, 18:57
Only you can be the judge of whether to call 111 or not but I have hit my head loads of times and never died from it yet.

I expect a lot of what you are experiencing is the anxiety over it all rather than the knock on the head.

GirlAfraid23
14-08-16, 21:18
Only you can be the judge of whether to call 111 or not but I have hit my head loads of times and never died from it yet.

I expect a lot of what you are experiencing is the anxiety over it all rather than the knock on the head.

Thanks Nicola. I went for a bike ride this afternoon and apart from a few stabbing pains, there wasn't too much of an issue.
However, now when sitting down I don't feel right.

Keep thinking of that actress Natasha Richardson and what happened to her.

I think because the shower rail actually fell on me, that's why I'm more concerned, because it was with force.

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Still sore :( :( and behind ear too.

What is the cut off point before danger time is gone?

Fishmanpa
14-08-16, 21:48
What is the cut off point before danger time is gone?

That depends on when you recognize it's just a bump on the noggin and you decide to let it go as that.

Positive thoughts

Carnation
14-08-16, 22:03
Hi,

I had a picture fall on my head and the frame was wooden and it fell from a wall at about 2ft and my head was so sore that I could not even lie down properly. :scared15:

I worried like you and my head was sore for days, but I was fine; that was about 3 months ago. At the time I felt a bit dazed, had a mild headache and some twinges of pain, but it did settle down and I am still here to tell the tale. :)

dale12345
14-08-16, 22:41
Anxiety can make you believe anything. I do it myself all the time

MyNameIsTerry
15-08-16, 07:09
Have a look at this thread about the same issue:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187480

Deb's was a nurse, so her advice will be accurate for you:

If it is 48 hours since you banged your head, you are way past the watchful period, which would be 24 hours post injury. In A&E they would keep you only around 4 hours max had you gone when it first happened.

As said already, your nausea is probably becuse you are anxious about this. If you really did have a bleed, you would definitely know it by now, and be a LOT more unwell. x