PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone relate - smells ruining my life

helenhoo
14-08-16, 13:04
Please don't close my thread I see so many other people constantly posting. I could list names but I'm not like that.

My current fear is brain tumour because of smells. 9/10 there is a source but I've become so so hypersensitive. Any time I smell smoke I'm checking someone near by has lit up. There are days I convince myself I'm fine and this is anxiety and says where I worry I have a tumour living up in my head and I have months to live. I'm on holiday at the moment it's ruining it. My boyfriend has said he wants a break.

Has anyone been through this 'phantom smell' cocnern?

NancyW
14-08-16, 13:40
My son's girlfriend's mother is currently dying of a brain tumor.

Her early symptoms were severe. Not only did her husband rush her to the ER with a TRUE emergency, the ER transfered her to another hospital that could better handle her case.
She was diagnosed not long ago, she is undergoing chemo and radiation. She can no longer put a sentence together.
Her family is holding fundraisers for end of life expenses.

This is horrible.

Phantom smells were NOT one of her symptoms.

Brain tumors are no joke, they make themselves known, you wouldn't be guessing.

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

Furthermore. I have had phantom smells for about the last year and a half, they started after a cold.

I do not have a brain tumor, I would be dead by now.

MyNameIsTerry
14-08-16, 13:46
My son's girlfriend's mother is currently dying of a brain tumor.

Her early symptoms were severe. Not only did her husband rush her to the ER with a TRUE emergency, the ER transfered her to another hospital that could better handle her case.
She was diagnosed not long ago, she is undergoing chemo and radiation. She can no longer put a sentence together.
Her family is holding fundraisers for end of life expenses.

This is horrible.

Phantom smells were NOT one of her symptoms.

Brain tumors are no joke, they make themselves known, you wouldn't be guessing.

Really sorry to hear that, Nancy. They must all be an absolute mess dealing with something so traumatic. :hugs::flowers:

Your son must be worried about what he can do to support his GF? She must be in pieces.

It's awful that these things happen. How lucky we are despite our daily challenges and high anxiety problems.

Gary A
14-08-16, 13:48
Please don't close my thread I see so many other people constantly posting. I could list names but I'm not like that.

My current fear is brain tumour because of smells. 9/10 there is a source but I've become so so hypersensitive. Any time I smell smoke I'm checking someone near by has lit up. There are days I convince myself I'm fine and this is anxiety and says where I worry I have a tumour living up in my head and I have months to live. I'm on holiday at the moment it's ruining it. My boyfriend has said he wants a break.

Has anyone been through this 'phantom smell' cocnern?

How many times can people tell you that these are not phantom smells? I personally told you that so called "phantom smells" associated with siezure activity and brain tumours are completely and utterly overpowering. They are also always generally a horrible smell like burning hair or rotting garbage. They aren't "did I just smell something there" type things, they are very very strong.

Please don't just ignore this response. You have asked a question, I have answered, try to pay attention to what I've written and for goodness sake try and put this nonsense behind you or at the very least, get to a doctor.

NancyW
14-08-16, 13:54
Thank you Terry, if your a praying person please think of her, her name is Teresa.

My son is a paramedic, his girlfriend an RN (nurse), both are trying to keep emotions at bay, they've learned to be this way in their jobs. It's extremely difficult, and I'm not sure healthy. I know the day they will crack is coming, all I can do is my best to help them when it happens.

**just to note to the OP, my phantom smell is most often smoke. Again.. I do NOT have a brain tumor.

GadGirl
14-08-16, 14:03
Hi Nancy, I will say a little prayer for Teresa. It's a horrible situation to be in. My ex mother in law sadly passed away a couple of years ago to a brain tumour, I cared for her till she passed on. It's a very hard thing to deal with like you have wrote, my mother in law was extremely ill with serve symptoms and no phantom smells what's so ever.

helenhoo
14-08-16, 14:10
Hi Gary. I have read your response, I always do. Like Fishman suggested I did speak to Dan. I cried. He said he can't put up with my anxiety but he loves me too much. I said I don't know how to control it. I can have a moment of logic. That '**** sake yes it's anxiety' and then I smell something. Whiffs of smoke usually. Ironically that stale cigarette smell I've not smelt while being in holiday so I am 100% sure it's the smoker I sit near.

Phantom smells are signs of tumours.

Mojo61
14-08-16, 14:11
Yep same here. Husband collapsed one morning completely out of the blue (he hadn't reported any phantom smells by the way Helen). Ambulance took him to hospital and while I went home to get him some pyjamas etc they decided to give him a CT scan. When I got back an hour later the doctor took me into a side room and told me they had found a large brain tumour in his frontal lobe and it was very aggressive - Glioblastoma Multiforme IV - and oh by the way he only had 4 months to live.

Phantom smells didn't come into it either before, or during, the whole sorry saga.

Fishmanpa
14-08-16, 14:25
Nancy & Mojo... I'm sorry to hear about what's happened :( As a survivor, I know personally the challenges both the family and the sufferer must endure.

Reb,

As I've stated. All the things you're posting about are normal everyday things. You perceive them differently because of your anxiety about an impending major life change and fear of failure. You're consciously or subconsciously trying to find a way out of going. I believe you're looking for an excuse not to go.

These are YOUR words, YOUR feelings, YOUR thoughts:

I am not not excited, I'm scared. I'm nervous. I'm worried I'll fail. I want to go. I need it I think, I've barely seen the world and I'm nearly the closer side to 30. I've said this myself to be honest and Dan has agreed.

I believe these issues are because I'm scared. I want to go S. Korea but I'm scared I'm going to or have a disease illness that will prevent me. I've barely traveled. This is a big step for me.

What's the date of your departure?

Positive thoughts

Gary A
14-08-16, 16:34
Hi Gary. I have read your response, I always do. Like Fishman suggested I did speak to Dan. I cried. He said he can't put up with my anxiety but he loves me too much. I said I don't know how to control it. I can have a moment of logic. That '**** sake yes it's anxiety' and then I smell something. Whiffs of smoke usually. Ironically that stale cigarette smell I've not smelt while being in holiday so I am 100% sure it's the smoker I sit near.

Ok, I'm going to write this one last time. You DO NOT have phantom smells. This is what is frustrating. You say you read my response but in no way have you taken anything I said on board. If you want to control your anxiety better then you really not to stop throwing up mental blocks to every piece of logic or common sense that people are trying desperately to put into your head.

Answer me this. Did you read what I wrote about how phantom smells associated with brain tumours are very very overpowering? What do you think of that? Doesn't that make you realise that these are not what you're experiencing?

Pipkin
14-08-16, 16:37
Reb,

I don't close your threads for any other reason other than I don't think asking for the same reassurance over again is helping you at all. No-one can tell you it's all fine because we have no idea. What we can say is that you clearly suffer from an anxiety disorder and your symptoms are consistent with that.

As I've said before, focus on strategies to improve your anxiety. There are so many things you can do and members here would love to share what works for them and to support you through it. What we can't do is give a medical diagnosis - that's not what the site's for and we're not qualified in any case.

Please think about this carefully. We are here to help you through what is obviously a distressing time for you but you must try to help yourself.

Pip

KatiePink
14-08-16, 16:40
I think terry hit the nail on the head in the post or my earlier deleted one.

Reassurance isn't working, it's literally up to me. Have you ever not believed or manipulated words of a doctor? I used to beleive them! Now because of his nonchalant not worrying but see a derm statement I'm like 'but is it cancer though

Posted by you in April, Re assurance isn't helping, youre not even being reassured :doh:

NancyW
14-08-16, 17:15

I have phantom smells. the most common is smoke, I've had them for well over a year.. I DO NOT HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR.

helenhoo
14-08-16, 17:37
I worry I have voices on my head too which is another symptom but possible that it's one of the 100's people walking past me and my boyfriend. Thought it was him and it wasn't. Quiet murmur.

pulisa
14-08-16, 17:38
Reb,

I don't close your threads for any other reason other than I don't think asking for the same reassurance over again is helping you at all. No-one can tell you it's all fine because we have no idea. What we can say is that you clearly suffer from an anxiety disorder and your symptoms are consistent with that.

As I've said before, focus on strategies to improve your anxiety. There are so many things you can do and members here would love to share what works for them and to support you through it. What we can't do is give a medical diagnosis - that's not what the site's for and we're not qualified in any case.

Please think about this carefully. We are here to help you through what is obviously a distressing time for you but you must try to help yourself.

Pip

Bump

Pipkin
14-08-16, 18:24
Reb,

I asked you to think about what I said and as you haven't acknowledged that and continue to ask for reassurance which really isn't helping you, I'm closing this thread. I am trying to help you. Please get help for your anxiety - that is your problem. Your sensitivity to smells and voices are most likely symptoms of anxiety. Work on the anxiety and the rest will follow.

Pip