PDA

View Full Version : Overreacting/worst case scenario

jjjh
15-08-16, 02:44
Hello all. I have had anxiety/panic attacks/health anxiety for over 20 years. One thing I've really been struggling with lately is looking into any situation-it could have even happened months ago-and worrying and obsessing over it. This isn't typical of my anxiety but I assume it's part of anxiety? Like a situation that has been resolved I will go back to and worry about it all over again, like it's going to get worse or become an issue out of nowhere. It's very debilitating because my thought and worry are obsessive. Any advice/help or does this happen to others?

dale12345
15-08-16, 04:54
I do the samething,anxiety makes us second guess our selves all the time. I always over think everything.

---------- Post added at 03:54 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

Are you on meds? Do you have support.

jjjh
15-08-16, 05:50
I've just weaned off cipralex because I was doing really well for quite some time. The weaning went pretty well, very slow, and I've been given prn lorazepam in case I'm struggling. I had to take some tonight. I keep going over and over an old situation that I'm worried will come back to blow up in my face-I'm reading in to things that are likely unrelated, etc. could this be just part of the anxiety disorder or is edging into obsessive compulsive? Does anyone have tips on what to do when ruminating? It's hard to function and I start making impulsive decisions based on information that I've blown out of proportion

jjjh
16-08-16, 00:40
Anyone have any advice on ruminating? Or stories, anything?

dale12345
16-08-16, 01:41
I try to keep busy it seems to help.

Annie0904
16-08-16, 07:51
I do this a lot, over thinking! My therapist suggested reading Ten steps to positive thinking by Wendy Drydon. I am reading it now.

Papakool
16-08-16, 14:50
Indeed, anxiety makes us think WAY too much. I am still struggling with this, but a key to break the cycle is recognize when it is happening and say "STOP!". I am entering the overthinking cycle and need to snap out of it. Sounds much easier than it is but if you can manage to start breaking the cycle even occasionally, it will get better. That being said, I still get into the depths of the thinking before I realize how far I have gone, but it is so liberating when you do catch yourself and stop it before it gets going. Once you stop, find a distractions, practice breathing techniques, call someone on the phone etc. anything to get your mind off of it. This may not work for everyone, but if there one thing I have learned over the 30 years of dealing with anxiety is not everyone uses the same techniques to get better so keep trying them until you find one that sticks.

G

jjjh
18-08-16, 01:32
Thank you all, I do find when distracted things are better, it seems though like whenever things wind down I'm right back to square one! Hoping I can get this under control I hate this feeling :(