PDA

View Full Version : 1st Therapy Session Today

skymaid
15-08-16, 13:59
Getting anxious about even going to my therapy lol.

I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe it'll be interesting to look back on this day and see how far i've come one day.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Argh why does everything require sitting in a waiting room for what feels like hours first? Ok its been 2 minutes so far lol

KeeKee
15-08-16, 14:11
I'm sure everything will be fine and I hate waiting in waiting rooms ha. It's why I try never to get to my appointments more than 5 minutes early.

skymaid
15-08-16, 16:06
Woohoo 30 minute wait in a stuffy room

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

the waiting room was almost exposure therapy in itself. I so wanted to just leave and nearly did twice. Sweated it out though. which I was happy with

therapy session 1:

talked about my rubbish childhood and strange parents a bit.

my lifestyle and of course my gad/phobia.

he talked about how I was afraid of a thought. and the thought was making me feel the need to come up with safety behaviours to answer the thought. once ive done the safety behaviour to answer the thought my anxiety lowers.

keeping answering the thought reinforces its importance in my brain and therefore keeps my anxiety level high.

instead of answering the thought I should label it "this is a thought" and continue whatever I was doing.

he recommended I read Brain Lock which is about ocd but its all linked apparently.

annoyingly he's off next week so I have to wait till the 31st get more practical stuff now he's explained the theory.

hope that was vaguely interesting to someone.