PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety or just me?

Fay13
15-08-16, 14:56
Does anyone ever wonder whether their feelings towards doing something are because of their anxiety, or whether they would feel like this even if they didn’t have anxiety. And does it matter? There is a promotion coming up at work for my manager’s job as he is being promoted to regional director. He has pretty much told me it’s mine if I want it and I’m feeling quite torn. It will obviously involve a lot more meetings, which, because of my anxiety, I really don’t like. I’d be managing around 15 people with the plan that this would grow considerably. I think I do quite like the idea of it but I’m not sure whether I can manage it with my anxiety. But at the same time I’m thinking, I don’t want my anxiety to hold me back from anything. But then I’m also wondering, if I didn’t have anxiety, would I still be feeling torn about it anyway, and it’s not my anxiety that’s causing the concern – and equally, does it matter where the concern comes from? I certainly never had an issue with work meetings years ago before I had anxiety and wouldn’t want to remain where I am, work-wise, forever because my anxiety is holding me back from moving forward. Equally, I know that I have anxiety and therefore have to be aware of that in my life and make decisions with that in mind and it’s hard to keep a balancing act between making lifestyle choices that work with anxiety, and not letting anxiety take over your life.

I’m not sure what I’ve written here totally makes sense as its just my rambling thoughts, but I have wondered before, when there have been things I haven’t wanted to do, whether it’s my anxiety stopping me doing them or whether I wouldn’t want to do it anyway. Does anyone else ever think like this? And does it matter? Am I trying to separate myself out from my anxiety when really, it’s one and the same?

Kuatir
15-08-16, 15:18
I think I understand. I think the majority of people would be anxious about this sort of thing, it's just that we have heightened anxiety so it is much more of an impact on how we react. I've always been told that to control my anxiety I should face it head on. If you think you'd quite like to do this, but it is likely that the anxiety is holding you back then I feel that you should go for it. You're obviously perfect for the job if it is basically yours.

Andy1718
26-08-16, 12:43
Hi there
I find very few people on this forum who have my issues but you seem to fit the bill. I have terrible anxiety with meetings especially in large groups. I am a teacher and fear training days. I recently got signed off with my anxiety as it was so heightened that my body basically gave in. I have been off for 3 months and I am due back in next week. Can I ask are you on meds? How are you doing now?

georgewing
26-08-16, 15:43
I understand you as anxious people are hard understood as they look weird sometimes.I also experience this things and i can say you that meditation helped me to calm my mind and body and you must to learn to control your thoughts and not to let them to control you