PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia, eating and travel

anxiousunicorn
16-08-16, 12:25
Hey, I've just found this site and this is my first post.

I have been suffering with emetophobia for many years and have been avoiding so many things because of it. I also suffer with anxiety and panic attacks but after months of counselling it seems as though the emetophobia is the main source of the anxiety.

I have decided that enough is enough and I am fed up of avoiding things particularly travel. I haven't left the country in five years and have missed three family holidays because of it. I am so distraught and have decided to try a holiday. However, I just can't see how I'll be able to do the flight. I am terrified that I'll be sick on the plane, will cause a scene or lose control completely. I am worried about upsetting others on the plane and I am so scared of being trapped :( But I have also been told that the best way to overcome it is to travel!
Does anyone have an advice or reassurance that they have travelled with this phobia?
Thank you!

skymaid
16-08-16, 12:57
hiya and welcome

I have the same phobia as you. I did eventually manage some flights starting with an hour snd a half going up to 4.5 hours. download some movies for your smart phone or tablet. have some in flight wine. you can get a diazepam for the flight too from the gp

I started small and apparently thats worse since smaller planes are bumpier. ive never seen any actually be sick on a plane yet and ive flown 10+ times if that helps

anxiousunicorn
16-08-16, 13:23
Thank you for your reply!
You have given me confidence that you are managing to fly even with the emetophobia!

How did you get the courage to get on the flight? I am worried that I'll get so worked up that I won't make it onto the plane without running away!

I'll try diazepam - my Doctor prescribed me some but I was worried it would make me fall asleep as I am travelling alone and won't have anyone to look after me if I pass out!

It helps to know that you've flown so many times and not had a problem with throwing up!

skymaid
16-08-16, 13:53
in a way I was lucky because the were so many delays at security I just had to get straight on the plane so I didnt have time to build up into a worry.

I didnt pass out after 5mg diazepam I just felt drowsyband reasonably good. probably shouldnt mix it with a small bottle of wine like I did though becuase then you really will have trouble keeping your eyes open. not really meant to have alcohol with it anyway but I was super stressed.

Phuzella
16-08-16, 14:00
I flew to Central Asia and back on my own . That was 4 flights each between 4 and 5 hours. If I can do it anyone can.

anxiousunicorn
16-08-16, 14:04
Oh yeah, I just need it to be a quick process. I'm hoping that once I'm on the plane I will calm down because sometimes the build up can be worse!

Haha, well I tend not to drink as I worry that it'll make me feel sick anyway so I won't do that but I don't blame you! We have to do whatever we can to makes ourselves feel better!

Do you think travelling has helped your phobia?

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

Phuzella - wow! That's amazing! Did you find it a struggle or were you okay? Did you find yourself panicking or feeling sick or was it fine once you were on the plane?

Well done you! I hope I can be as brave as you!

Phuzella
16-08-16, 14:09
The build up is definitely worse
Once on the plane I was OK. A bit nervous obviously but I kept busy. There was a good in flight entertainment system so I watched films. The food was OK too, I'm not good eating new things but I ate most of it. I didn't feel sick at all :)

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Where you flying to?

Sunflower2
16-08-16, 14:20
Hi there,

I have severe emetophobia, an eating disorder and severe anxiety. I know what it's like to have it take over your life and miss out on so many fun and important things. At my worst I was hysterical every time I left the house and barely ate anything because I was scared everything would make me feel sick.

But, I travel abroad at least a few times a year and I have been flying since I was less than a year old. I have never ever felt sick, not even slightly unwell. I've even managed to get back to eating on planes recently, which I avoided for a long time. I've never seen anyone on a plane be sick either, and believe me I would have noticed it with my hypersensitivity around sickness!
I've also managed to survive abroad with eating. It's a challenge but I can get by and it is getting better too. It's all about confidence in yourself and also that your stomach can digest a good amount!

Don't let this get in the way of living, it is amazing what you can achieve once you put your anxiety to the side. There's such a big world to explore and so much to experience and see. I still get nervous about travelling and flying and the food side and losing weight, but it is SO worth it in the end!

anxiousunicorn
16-08-16, 14:33
Phuzella - I'm going to Menorca in Spain. My family are going there for a week and I am flying out to meet them on my own for a few days! The flight is only 2hrs 30 mins so not too long! I'm just so afraid of being sick but you are all reassuring me! I know its mind over matter! Thats so good that you ate plane food!!!

Thanks for your reply Kimberly! I'm like that at the moment. I'm missing out on family holidays, trips with my boyfriend, nights out, meals out etc - its so tiring and it makes me feel so sad :( But I want to be like you! i want to beat this thing - there are so many places I want to visit if I could just stop being afraid!!!

Do you think that travelling even though you were scared helped you to overcome your fears?

Sunflower2
16-08-16, 14:41
I've flown on my own as well and really you spend so much time making sure you've got everything you don't have as much time to get anxious about it! So it's 2 and a half hours.. Half an hour getting up in the air and at a steady level, then they come out with drinks and food so that's another half hour, then it's half way through, then before you know it you're on your way to land! I take music, books, magazine and iPad to keep me entertained. One flight I was sitting next to someone who looked anxious so I kept myself busy with puzzles too.

Oh I still have a loooooong way to go. I still don't eat out, I have a lot of 'odd' behaviours and I'm still very underweight, but it's an improvement. But yes definitely facing them makes your fears lessen. I recently went to Lithuania for a family wedding and I was soooo anxious. There were hundreds of things I was worried about (all from a worry of feeling sick) and I was dreading it. But it was such a good experience and partly because it really challenged me outside my comfort zone.

You can definitely do this, even if you get anxious remember it always passes :) plus sooo many people are nervous fliers so it wouldn't even be a big deal to anyone!

skymaid
16-08-16, 14:45
Unfortunately it hasnt helped my actual phobia at all. I csn fly to places and have a panic attack about some weird stomach feeling now at least lol.

Just started some therapy with a private shrink yesterday in fact.

anxiousunicorn
16-08-16, 17:28
Your message has made me feel so much better - thanks Kimberly :) I never thought of breaking the flight down into smaller chunks! Makes it seem more manageable!

I'm hoping that I can just literally sit in my seat and not move until I get there :')

I am really determined to break this cycle of fear, I know that I have to do it sometime, so maybe this is the time to do it! At least I now have you guys to speak to before I go - gives me a bit of reassurance that it'll all be fine!

I'm sure you'll get there soon - you seem to have a strong mind so I have no doubt that you can do anything!
:)

Phuzella
16-08-16, 17:41
When do you go?

anxiousunicorn
17-08-16, 10:57
End of September!:scared15:

Walking With Anxiety
19-08-16, 22:59
I have had emetophobia for many years. Like you, it has stopped me doing so many things in my life, but I am determined to beat it.

I have always enjoyed travel, but like you, I worried about travel sickness, even though I never have been. I used to take travel sickness pills with me just in case. That seemed to give me the security I needed.

I have always had a no seafood rule when it comes to eating, but I went on holiday to Spain and had clams! I didn't want my phobia to spoil my holiday.

If i can do it, you can. Go have fun.

anxiousunicorn
22-08-16, 11:14
Oh that's amazing! I'm so determined to beat it- I've been trying but it's so hard! I've booked the flights which was hard enough for me so next step is to get on that flight!! I'll take my sickness pills with me and hopefully that'll keep that worry at bay!

I'm off to spain too and I'm going to try and eat new things!

Thank you so much for your encouraging message! :)