PDA

View Full Version : scared I swallowed part of a battery?

eastofeden
16-08-16, 20:40
I was charging my phone battery today with one of those universal charger things. The spring snapped while I was trying to fit the flat battery into the charger, so it crunched, and one of the corners of the battery snapped off. It was a little black plastic shard about 1cm long. I looked everywhere on the floor and on my clothes for it, but couldn't find it. Now I'm paranoid that I might have accidentally swallowed it or something. It was attached with a tiny screw, and I can't find that either.

I know that sounds far fetched but I did kind of get a fright and scream when it snapped so my mouth was technically open? Lol I know it sounds crazy but I'm really scared I accidentally ingested part of the battery. I'm scared it could harm my insides, from any chemicals or the sharpness of the shard of plastic etc. Is this likely or is it just the anxiety playing tricks with my brain? I have a fear of ingesting foreign bodies already, so this is why I'm anxious. I just hope there wasn't any chemicals on that shard of plastic. Luckily it wasn't the whole battery. Just a small piece, the plastic corner. Still scared tho.

Fishmanpa
16-08-16, 20:43
Is this likely or is it just the anxiety playing tricks with my brain?

What's the answer to this question EoE? The right answer wins you the jackpot! :winks:

Positive thoughts

eastofeden
16-08-16, 20:45
What's the answer to this question EoE? The right answer wins you the jackpot! :winks:

Positive thoughts

Lol I know I know, it's just so hard to be rational when anxiety infects your brain....

.Poppy.
16-08-16, 21:41
I know it's hard to be rational, but it's already incredibly unlikely that you swallowed it without noticing in the first place, on top of which you would have to consume far more than a little piece of plastic to actually do you harm.

Try to tell your anxious thoughts to buzz off and then do something to distract yourself.

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-16, 05:44
Batteries are encased. They often have plastic surrounds but that doesn't mean the plastic comes into contact with the battery fluid.

So, isn't it more likely it was just a piece of the fitting parts that allow it to be held in place in your phone?

Anyway, you know you would have very likely felt it in your mouth or throat, the chances of it going straight into your stomach without hitting all those obstacles would win you a goldfish at the fayre the size of a horse. :winks:

ServerError
17-08-16, 05:48
On the positive side, if it was a Duracel, and you did swallow it, you'll get plenty done today!