PDA

View Full Version : Armpits feel sore?

BrokenAge
16-08-16, 23:41
For about a week now my armpits have felt sore? I assume from a logical stand point that it might be because of deodorant or not showering enough. Of course my anxious mind sees it ad a sign of swollen lymphnodes but I've felt around there (very obsessively so it might be because I poke it so much) but there's nothing swollen in the area. No bumps sticking out. Any idea what it might be? I don't dare google.

nicol1333
17-08-16, 00:56
Could be muscular! I think when lymph nodes are swollen in the armpit you def know. I had a fungal infection once from deordant. Mine were bright red and burned. I don't think it's anything to worry about :)

aaronrh76
17-08-16, 04:44
Lymph nodes swell up all the time, thats their job, they are part of the immune system, whenever there is something going on they swell and thats normal. And the swelling does not mean anything serious is going on in that area. I have been going through a cancer scare as of late, so I was poking and feeling around my neck one evening and of course I didn't feel anything because I don't have cancer. But the next day I did when my lymph nodes were swollen. I left them alone and they went back down. They are very sensitive and react to alot of stimulus. But they usually go back down within a day or two.

Of course that is if this is your lymph nodes, it could very well be just musculature in nature. But either way, stop prodding because you will just agitate the issue instead of healing it.

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-16, 05:41
Lymph nodes swell up all the time, thats their job, they are part of the immune system, whenever there is something going on they swell and thats normal. And the swelling does not mean anything serious is going on in that area. I have been going through a cancer scare as of late, so I was poking and feeling around my neck one evening and of course I didn't feel anything because I don't have cancer. But the next day I did when my lymph nodes were swollen. I left them alone and they went back down. They are very sensitive and react to alot of stimulus. But they usually go back down within a day or two.

Of course that is if this is your lymph nodes, it could very well be just musculature in nature. But either way, stop prodding because you will just agitate the issue instead of healing it.

I agree with this. They swell most likely due to localised infection. Basically, they are working harder than normal and swell because they can't process it quick enough. It's part of immune system function.

It could easily be what you mentioned, Nick. If not, it doesn't have to be something scary and as nicol said, it could even be a fungal infection. The body can resolve infections on it's own so it might just be transient. If it doesn't go, you could consult a GP about it but please try to remember the millions of cases of mundane infections over the scary things you will find very easily via Google if you are not careful. Searches on lymph nodes always bring back certain things because they are included in those scary illnesses, but then so are many of our anxiety symptoms too but we still only have anxiety.

On a separate note, did you know in some martial arts there is even a specific form of kick to target that area of the body because it's a sensitive area? :ninja:

BrokenAge
17-08-16, 10:36
Thanks for all the advice I'm sure it's nothing but the thought always creeps up into my mind. Always black and white thinking.

debs71
17-08-16, 11:59
I have had this so many times in my 45 years that I have lost count!

I often get actual lumps, tenderness and soreness in my armpits, usually -but not always - around the time of my period, but also at random times, perhaps from too vigorous or brutal shaving!!

Also breast tissue extends up to the armpit area, so anything hormonal can trigger soreness in the armpits. As already said, a bit of infection can also cause pain there due to swelling lymph nodes.

Please try not to worry. I'm still here to tell the tale! xx

BrokenAge
17-08-16, 22:05
Thank you Debs! I appreciate the responses from everyon!