PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy on Friday

Kay8010
17-08-16, 09:32
Jeeeezzz I am so freaked out right now..........I have my colonoscopy on Friday afternoon at 2.30pm and seriously freaking out.....

I am seriously convinced I have colon cancer, weight loss, on off loose stools but been taking anti-diarrhea med (1 day) plus colofac, so since yesterday I cannot go but did this morning and noticed clear jelly like substance in the toilet bowl (sorry to be so descriptive) & the stool in narrow and small, I am SERIOUSLY loosing the plot here, please help me, ANYONE!

Ryanr1987
23-09-16, 13:02
Hey

I also had narrow stools and what looked like blood and other stuff. I didn't have weight loss but I know a lot of anxiety will cause weight loss.

Your symptoms could be colitis or diet. The narrow stool isn't a concern unless they are extremely thin, like a pencil or flat strip. The jelly you describe is most likely related to your meds.

The Colonoscopy itself was difficult because it's such a scary thought but when you arrive and they sedate you, you feel a sense of calmness. I remember all of a sudden I was halfway into it(the time flies by when you are sedated) I did have some cramping when they went around a bend but it was over quick and before you know it, it's over. Everyone's experience is different. The will take samples as they go along(you won't feel that)

Before I spoke to the surgeon, I asked what the chances are of this being cancer; his reply was I would find colon cancer in someone your age maybe once every 10 years(23-24 at the time)

I found the build up really difficult but the day before it seemed to get a bit easier to deal with(not sure why) I guess it's an acceptance thing.

I wish you all the best and I hope you find ways to deal with the anxiety leading up(gaming helped me)

Jilly123
23-09-16, 18:58
Hi
Am also down for flexible sigmoidoscopy on Sunday. Dreading it is an understatement! Wish I hadn't read all the horror stories online!! I had an gastroscopy recently which I was also freaking out about, luckily it was very quick, hopefully this will be too! Let us know how you got on....!
Jilly123 xxx

Kay8010
23-09-16, 22:45
Thanks. Its now arranged for Oct 5th its nerve wrecking

---------- Post added at 22:44 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Hey

I also had narrow stools and what looked like blood and other stuff. I didn't have weight loss but I know a lot of anxiety will cause weight loss.

Your symptoms could be colitis or diet. The narrow stool isn't a concern unless they are extremely thin, like a pencil or flat strip. The jelly you describe is most likely related to your meds.

The Colonoscopy itself was difficult because it's such a scary thought but when you arrive and they sedate you, you feel a sense of calmness. I remember all of a sudden I was halfway into it(the time flies by when you are sedated) I did have some cramping when they went around a bend but it was over quick and before you know it, it's over. Everyone's experience is different. The will take samples as they go along(you won't feel that)

Before I spoke to the surgeon, I asked what the chances are of this being cancer; his reply was I would find colon cancer in someone your age maybe once every 10 years(23-24 at the time)

I found the build up really difficult but the day before it seemed to get a bit easier to deal with(not sure why) I guess it's an acceptance thing.

I wish you all the best and I hope you find ways to deal with the anxiety leading up(gaming helped me)

Im 36 soon and i have narrow stools for the last week, its freaking me out including red smear when i wipe twice now so i can only assume its blood!! Ive been loosing weight as ive now become scared to eat incase i do eat and still loose weight which must be cancer!

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Hi
Am also down for flexible sigmoidoscopy on Sunday. Dreading it is an understatement! Wish I hadn't read all the horror stories online!! I had an gastroscopy recently which I was also freaking out about, luckily it was very quick, hopefully this will be too! Let us know how you got on....!
Jilly123 xxx

Why are you havjng the procedure?

Kathryn313
23-09-16, 23:45
Probably very little that can reassure you at the moment. The best way to think about it might be that whether you worry or whether you don't, you have whatever condition you have. It is either anxiety, cancer or something in between.

Bowel cancer is not a death sentence but obviously a shitty (forgive the pun) diagnosis. In your own words the consultant was adamant it wasn't cancer but until the 5th you won't know this in your own mind.

Try and keep busy, see friends, cry, take up one of those colouring book things, listen to you tube guided meditations, get out and walk round a park, in this moment and in these coming weeks you are still alive and breathing try and take some comfort in that.

Kay8010
24-09-16, 00:12
So hard.......

Kathryn313
24-09-16, 00:21
Yep. Easier said than done.

When I was waiting for my chest X-ray results (convinced it would come back with cancer because the dr wrote ?lung lesion), I mainly slept on the sofa under a duvet for a week! I cried, didn't go into work, googled dignitas, read lung cancer forums, cried on my best friend and lost 4-5lbs. But one good thing I did however message two friends saying I was waiting for results and was scared of the outcome so could I see them for some support and distraction. Even those few hours where I sat in a cafe and stared into my tea helped a bit...I think...

Reach out to someone real if you can.x

dale12345
24-09-16, 00:29
I understand completely how scared you are, just got back from the Dr and he said poop can be any color and size along as it isnt black and tarry.

Kay8010
24-09-16, 00:44
I know its all pointing towards cc! Red smears, narrow stools, weight loss (am eating less) even tho i feel its too much weight loss considering and so totally convinced its cc! Im driving myself insane here. Its 00.42 and im still googling.......

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

I understand completely how scared you are, just got back from the Dr and he said poop can be any color and size along as it isnt black and tarry.

Thanks for that but material suggests prolonged narrow stools and blood is cc!!!

Jilly123
24-09-16, 01:30
I'm having it for pains in the rectum, proctalgia fugax I believe or some weird thing?? probably due to constipation. Also aching after a BM. And it seems to make my existing sciatica worse.
It's the anticipation that's gotta be the worst, if they could test you immediately you turned up at the docs that would be great....one day lol.
Stay with those positive thoughts.
Jilly123 xx

Mercime
24-09-16, 04:22
Kay, I've responded on your other post quite a few times trying to reassure you by giving you the facts about what you fear. I have written from experience, of having lived with and survived cancer myself but I can see you are unable to listen to what people are telling you.
Only you can put a halt to this cycle of panic, at present advice isn't helping at all.

I hope you manage to find some distraction and peace Kaye, I'll take a step back as
I don't think this is helping you at all. Wishing you well x