PDA

View Full Version : Congestion making me gag

helenhoo
18-08-16, 07:43
Every morning this week since I've been home I have woken with one or both nostrils congested. This then causes me to gag and sometimes vomit (because of the gagging I believe) I don't have nausea and sometimes can breathe myself out of it. Logically I believe this is allergies, anxiety has niggles this is a brain tumour vomit symptom.

Phuzella
18-08-16, 07:46
Did you get the TESOL qualification for teaching abroad?
PS definitely allergies. Not a brain tumour it's snot making you gag

helenhoo
18-08-16, 08:20
It's a TEFL! :) thanks, anything that can help and stop me waking up congested?

Phuzella
18-08-16, 08:35
Antihistamines maybe. You could try an air filter in your bedroom. I have one and they're pretty good.
My son has been teaching abroad for 4 years and loves it. He was very nervous to start but soon got into it :)

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 ----------

And he went on his own !

Shazamataz
18-08-16, 09:18
I get a really dry/blocked nose at night since starting on various medications and once I wake up I can't sleep because of it.

Here there is a spray called Otrivin which you can buy at the pharmacy. It's not for allergies but is a decongestant I think. Works incredibly well but you can only use it on and off, not every day, else it stops working.

Primula
18-08-16, 10:50
Helen you might find this helpful. Apologies if you've already seen it.

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/healthanxiety.htm

helenhoo
18-08-16, 12:05
Thanks so much for that link. & sorry if someone had sent it before I hadn't noticed.

Primula
18-08-16, 12:08
Thanks so much for that link. & sorry if someone had sent it before I hadn't noticed.

My pleasure, do your best to get the help you need. Don't waste any more of your life on reassurance seeking. Good luck :)

helenhoo
18-08-16, 17:01
Is it definitely the congestion?

Darwin73
18-08-16, 17:04

Don't forget to scroll down to the Doing Differently section

brucealmighty
18-08-16, 17:05
try an extra pillow that can help you keep your head a bit higher and stop so much post nasal drip going down the back of your nose into your throat.

Minivil
18-08-16, 23:31

Don't forget to scroll down to the Doing Differently section

Those are really fantastic tools! Thanks for posting those, definitely doing them!

I really have noticed a dramatic decrease in anxiety by setting limits/decreasing amounts/setting times, etc. Good stuff.

smiles
19-08-16, 00:20
Try washing your duvet and pillows, I( not just covers) I get really bad morning congestion due to a dust mite allergy, bedding (no matter how clean your house is) is the worst place for dust mites, good luck and try not to worry x x x

hanshan
19-08-16, 05:53
I really agree with washing sheets, pillow cases, duvets and covers on a regular basis to keep dust mites down.

You can't use the sprays for more than three days or you get hooked and your nose won't unblock without them, so I avoid them. Try washing your face with plain warm water and massage a little into the nostrils, and drink something warm.

I read somewhere that it is normal to have one side at least partially blocked at any one time. It switches back and forth naturally, and helps to keep passages moist.

helenhoo
19-08-16, 09:07
I used steam last night before bed and took anti allergy spray and didn't gag this morning. It was still slightly congested. I notice that when I worry about it it's worse, funny huh