PDA

View Full Version : Cit to ven help

Debs21uk
18-08-16, 16:30
Hi all,

I've just seen my doctor and we've decided to switch me to ven. I will be cross tapering to start with since I've been on citalopram for many years so I'm not looking for any horror stories as my doctor has already told me this could be rough. Plus I've already had a rough time with dosage changes so any pep talks or tips would be appreciated.

I have not been given much information about this, should it be taken at night, with food etc (leaflet wasn't included which may be a blessing). I think I'll need to phone the dr back for more info.

Thanks

Tony52
18-08-16, 19:28
Hi Debs,
Ven worked for me on two occasions some years back when switching from other meds that were just not working.
It was a fairly smooth transition and I can't remember any really bad times once the Ven had started to work.
Go in there with a positive attitude and I'm sure everything will be fine. :yesyes:

Debs21uk
18-08-16, 20:08
Thanks Tony that's a really positive start, I hope I experience the same thing. I'm trying to tell myself a good bit of any side effects could just be anxiety about the switch. Fingers crossed :hugs:

Shazamataz
18-08-16, 22:05
Hi Debs, I've been on ven for about 6 weeks now. It was added as opposed to replacing anything (I am on mirtazapine as well).

It has to be taken with food and best in the morning as with the SSRIs.

Hopefully a gentle cross taper and you won't notice anything too bad?

The ven gives me a REALLY dry mouth but other side effects haven't been too bad.

I assume you are on the extended release?

Debs21uk
18-08-16, 22:21
Hi Shaz,

Yes I'm on the extended release which I'm glad of since I see it has such a short half life. Amazingly I phoned my pharmacy to check the details and they said just take it whenever and you don't need to take with food! Mind you this is the same pharmacist that didn't put an information leaflet in the box! Did you have bad start up side effects?

I'm really not sure how a cross taper works whether I'll get withdrawals and start up effects?!

Shazamataz
18-08-16, 22:31
Because they are both serotonin meds you may not have any effects at all. Hopefully! Once ven gets up to 150mg it starts acting on noradrenaline as well, which some people have trouble with. I'm staying on 112.5 for now.

I had less start up effects on ven than when I tried sertraline and citalopram earlier in the year. Those had be in hospital twice for constant nausea, vomitting and dehydration. Never want to experience that again!

On ven I just had reduced appetite and have a bit of buzzing in my ears and some tingling in hands and feet which I've had on SSRIs in the past. And BAD dry mouth.

Debs21uk
18-08-16, 23:30
Oh well as unpleasant as those are I'd take them. My dr messed with my cit dosage so much I had every side effect listed so I'm hoping this will not be as bad and I have a new dr who I trust more!

Best keep the water stocked up! Are you feeling better on it?

Shazamataz
19-08-16, 01:32
I'm doing a bit better. Actually a lot better I suppose, but still a long way to go. I've been two weeks on my current dose and expect things to still be a bit up and down.

I just remembered another thing I experienced starting ven was quite bad dizziness in the evenings. I take my ven at lunchtime for no other reason than when I started it I was so nervous about how it would make me feel I wanted to take my dogs out first and then take the plunge. The dizziness came 5 hours after taking it and lasted about 4 hours, which is why I continued with the lunchtime taking. Dizziness mostly disappeared about 4 weeks in.

Good luck!

Debs21uk
19-08-16, 01:52
Thanks Shaz, do you mind if I keep in touch? It's good to know someone is experiencing the same thing

Shazamataz
19-08-16, 07:36
Thanks Shaz, do you mind if I keep in touch? It's good to know someone is experiencing the same thing

Not at all. Always happy to support where I can :)

Debs21uk
19-08-16, 20:03
You're a star! Came off the seroquel last night and felt a bit of a sore head but now I've got dizziness and that's before I start the taper!

Shazamataz
19-08-16, 22:37
You might just be dizzy from anxiety. That's something I have had with it. Good luck!

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-16, 09:51
I'm doing a bit better. Actually a lot better I suppose, but still a long way to go. I've been two weeks on my current dose and expect things to still be a bit up and down.

I just remembered another thing I experienced starting ven was quite bad dizziness in the evenings. I take my ven at lunchtime for no other reason than when I started it I was so nervous about how it would make me feel I wanted to take my dogs out first and then take the plunge. The dizziness came 5 hours after taking it and lasted about 4 hours, which is why I continued with the lunchtime taking. Dizziness mostly disappeared about 4 weeks in.

Good luck!

That's probably when it was reaching it's peak, Shaz.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

I'm really not sure how a cross taper works whether I'll get withdrawals and start up effects?!

This shows the guidelines:

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=1651179592

As you can see with yours, they go for a withdrawal then start up method. They do cross taper with plenty of the SSRI's (withdrawing Fluoxetine must have a 7 day "wash out" period though due to it's very long half life) but they tend to withdraw the old one before Ven because of the fact it reaches it's steady-state (as much going in as coming out) at 3 days due to it's shorter half life.

With longer half life SSRI's like your Cit, it means there is an overlap. Whilst SSRI's can affect more neurotransmitters than Serotonin alone, the majority of the impact is on that neurotransmitter so theoretically it should be topping you up as the old one is reducing. This should reduce side effects when compared to a complete withdrawal and start up but it's always too individual to ever say since some meds don't seem to suit some people.

When they completely withdraw a SSRI, the new one starts the new day (except with the Fluoxetine withdrawal combination) and because a med like Cit has a half life of 36 hours, you will get an overlap. Drug elimination takes much longer than 2x it's half life anyway as it's slowing down at a rate of 50% each half life (e.g. 1 half = 50% med active, 2 half lives = 25%, 3 half lives = 12.5%, etc).

Katy_o
02-09-16, 13:06
Hello @debs21uk. I hope you are getting on ok with your meds change over. I saw your post and wanted to give you a positive story. A friend of mine has recently switched over from citalopram to venlafaxine and she had no issues at all. She had been taking citalopram for years and felt it wasn't really working anymore. She has been off work for a year now as her depression/anxiety had gotten so bad. After 3 months on venlafaxine 150mg she is feeling a significant improvement, so much so that she is returning to work (she has also been receiving psychotherapy for 2 months now).

My own experience of venlafaxine is generally good too. The only side effect I have is night sweats, and if I miss even one dose I feel very strange. I initially started off at 150mg about 12 years ago, 5 years later it was increased to 185.5mg, and 4 months ago I had to go up again to 220mg. I don't know if this is because your body adapts to it too much and it becomes less effective.

Anyway, hope you are getting on ok.

Debs21uk
02-09-16, 16:50
Thanks for your positive story Katy, it's very much appreciated. I'm now not sure what I am moving on to next as I thought it might be best to see what the psychiatrist says. I won't see her for a couple of weeks so in the meantime I am reducing the citalopram as my GP thinks I could try escitalopram but I worry it may be too similar to citalopram to work.

I am in a similar situation to your friend having my life come to a stand still with the anxiety and depression so it's good to hear we can get back to "normality". Did your friend cross taper or did she withdraw from the cit first?

Katy_o
08-09-16, 00:00
Hi Debs, sorry for my late reply. I only joined NMP last week and I'm new to forums.

My friend cross tapered the citalopram and venlafaxine. I'm not sure what her normal dose of cit was, but she reduced it for 2 weeks, then reduced it again and began the venlafaxine. I think she took them both together for two more weeks before stopping the citalopram altogether. It really has been very beneficial for her. I hope you find something that works well for you soon. I know how awful it is when your life becomes completely ruled by anxiety and depression.

Debs21uk
14-09-16, 13:26
After seeing my psych I'm just starting the switch over from today. I hope it goes okay as I've had a really bad last few months. Does anyone know if it should be taken with food? I have the xl version and the pharmacist hasn't put in the info leaflet. Also anyone feel it's better to take in the morning or at night?

Katy_o
14-09-16, 14:10
Hi Debs, it's the xl type I'm on too. I take 150mg in the morning and then my 75mg at night. When I initially started it I was only on 150mg and the CPN I had time advised me to take it in the morning. I'm not very good at eating in the morning so I always take it on an empty stomach and have never had in issues. I don't think it matters too much whether you take it with food or not. Good luck with it.

Debs21uk
14-09-16, 18:03
Hmmm not sure what to do as I usually take my celexa at night so don't really want to take them at different times. Did it make you drowsy at all?

Katy_o
14-09-16, 21:38
I've never had any drowsiness with venlafaxine. The only symptom I notice is night sweats. And if you are on the xl type try very hard not to miss a dose, it can make you feel really weird if you do.

Debs21uk
14-09-16, 23:44
Well I've done it, taken the first dose with the reduced citalopram tonight. I've set an alarm on my phone to make sure I remember to take it at the same time every day. Fingers crossed!