PDA

View Full Version : Mouth/neck fear... Could it be TMJ??

Kayla1992
19-08-16, 05:02
Hi,

I am freaking out at the moment! For the past few weeks I have been having a lump like feeling in my neck. It started out feeling like tense muscles in the front right side, but then it stared to feel more like it was under my jaw on the right side. I have been panicking incase there is a lump, but with the minimal feeling that I have done. I havent noticed anything.
Now though it feels like there is a dry patch under my tongue or like there is food stuck at the back/ side of my tongue that won't go away!
My neck still feels funny some times and I am terrified that this is something bad :( I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday afternoon and I am do scared...
I also sometime get an ache in my right ear...

I am wondering if all this could be TMJ?? (I'm hoping because I'm am so scared of the C word)

Also, I am a 23 year old female non smoker

Fishmanpa
19-08-16, 14:31
I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor. Everything you describe sounds nothing like the "C" word and everything like anxiety symptoms/stress.

Positive thoughts

Minivil
19-08-16, 14:55
Hi Kayla! You are hyper focused on this area now, so that's heightening sensations. Be honest here: how much are you feeling/probing the area? I can PROMISE YOU (because I just did this) that touching it makes it way worse, can cause those areas/nodes to swell which "confirms" to our already-obsessed mind that it's getting bigger. It's a horrible cycle.
Listen to Fishman on this one, he knows. Then, listen to your doc. You're going to be just fine! :)

Kayla1992
20-08-16, 04:22
Thank you for your replies :)

I don't think it feels the same all the time, however that voice in my head is just so loud that the "but what if" question just keeps coming back.

I am just going to have to try believe what ever the doctor says on Tuesday

sarahsparkleshine
20-08-16, 16:33
I have tmj, and it's awful. I know the feeling you're talking about.

Kayla1992
21-08-16, 02:24
I have tmj, and it's awful. I know the feeling you're talking about.

So this could be because of my Jaw?