PDA

View Full Version : Rabies fear intense anxiety

weezy20
19-08-16, 19:37
Hi all. I have been battling my hypochondria since a couple of years and this happened yesterday to me. I was walking down the road when a stray dog just appeared out of nowhere in front of me and had a huge wound his neck and was kind of shaking his head along as he walked in front of me. Now this will sound ridiculous but I have two theories as to how I might have been infected by this possibly rabid dog.

1. The dog's shaking head motion might have given enough momentum to a few micro-droplets of blood carrying the rabies since it was mixed with the saliva from the attacker dog and that somehow entered into my mouth which was slightly open.

2. I could smell his decaying wound and that would imply that I could've also inhaled the virus as is known as the highly unlikely but possible aerosol transmission.

I'm aware of how ridiculous this sounds but it has affected me so much that I can't live without not having myself immunized. Please help/suggest.

KeeKee
19-08-16, 20:43
I highly doubt that's even possible.

On another note though I feel awful for that poor dog. It shaking it's head was probably due to being in pain.

Fishmanpa
19-08-16, 21:58
I'm sorry you're dealing with this fear. Rabies fear is one of those "rabbit hole" anxieties that for some, no amount of logic, reassurance or common sense seems to help. Some scenarios I've read... A rabid bat entering a room, biting someone and getting out totally undetected. A feral cat rubbing against a leg. A dead raccoon in the backyard that possibly had rabies and somehow spread rabies to the air etc. You get the point...

What can anyone say that your own brain hasn't said? You know how completely unfounded your fears are. Not even in fantasy can that scenario happen. If this fear persists, it would be wise to seek professional help.

I hope you overcome this and feel better soon.

Positive thoughts