PDA

View Full Version : Extreme constant health anxiety and doubt

Novactoys
20-08-16, 14:36
Hey all, this might be a long post and it might not make sense because I'm terrible at explaining stuff. I've been having some pretty bad (well in my opinion) breathlessness, tight throat and I guess 'air hunger?' for I think a month and a half now maybe more... I've been to the Drs again and again, blood tests show low thyroid levels and low b12 and I've been taking medication for both for 3 weeks now. The dr first said it'd take 2-3 weeks to work(if it was those blood test results causing the symptoms), now that it's 3 weeks he says it'll take 6 weeks.

Pretty much I feel constant anxiety that I'll never get better or that it might be something worse and I find myself doubting everything the dr says. Hope this is alright to say but I'm getting to the point I'm considering suicide, I really can't handle a lot lol... I just want relief so bad, from my symptoms and the anxiety...

KeeKee
20-08-16, 14:39
I know somebody with an underactive thyroid and it took months to get the correct dosage of the meds. I assume that could also mean symptoms attributed to it could also take months to settle.

Novactoys
20-08-16, 14:43
I know somebody with an underactive thyroid and it took months to get the correct dosage of the meds. I assume that could also mean symptoms attributed to it could also take months to settle.

I know it takes a while it's just that constant fear of what if the symptoms are caused by something worse and I'm just sitting here doing nothing about it >.<

Darwin73
20-08-16, 23:06
I have an under active thyroid and (unfortunately) it can take a long time to get the balance right. Also, in the UK, the interpretation of thyroid function test results as to whether your thyroid is underactive has a narrower range than those used in other countries like the U.S, so here you might be clinically measuring in the 'normal' range even though you are having symptoms of hypothyroidism. Sorry, I'm not making much sense! What I mean is, in other countries, they treat underactive thyroid for results that here would be considered normal. In my experience, when you are first diagnosed, you need to go back for blood tests every 6 weeks or so so that they can check whether your TFTs are within range or whether your medication needs further adjustment.

I also have low b12 (very common for low thyroid and low b12 to occur together) and the symptoms of both can make you feel absolutely appalling: anxiety, depression, breathlessness (that's likely from the b12), fatigue. You WILL feel better, but it's not unusual for it to take a while, so please don't lose heart:)

Novactoys
21-08-16, 04:47
I mean I read that low b12 can cause anemia but my blood tests didn't show anemia so I'm a bit hesitant to accept that b12 is doing it. I understand that it takes a while but the anxiety ridden side of me is just going into panic overload bombarding me with kinda 'what if these symptoms are caused by something else' it's just getting so much to handle u_u