PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taken supplements for anxiety?

Andy1718
21-08-16, 07:56
I was reading about 5-HTP supplements for anxiety. Anyone taken these or similar?

LittleMissAlone
21-08-16, 08:34
Apparently you can't take them with meds, though I've been recommended them before. I think it's one of those things that gps are dubious about. I've recently splashed out on a basic multivitamin and minerals from tesco. You can spend a lot in these things though.

Luelle
21-08-16, 15:16
Since I stopped cit I've been taking fish oil 3 times a day and magnesium. Magnesium is suppose to help with anxiety.

~Unknown
22-08-16, 14:48
Apparently you can't take them with meds, though I've been recommended them before. I think it's one of those things that gps are dubious about. I've recently splashed out on a basic multivitamin and minerals from tesco. You can spend a lot in these things though.

Do multivitamins help? I have some that I have been neglecting.

Magic
22-08-16, 15:11
It is advisable to ask your GP before to take supplements when you are taking prescription drugs. Otherwise the health shops will advise you or the pharmacy .

debs71
22-08-16, 15:32
I take a high strength daily multivitamin, primarily because my diet isn't the best fruit and veg wise, but also just to try to maintain optimum health. Whether it assists my anxiety issues, I am not so sure.

I agree with Magic that more diverse supplements are best discussed with your GP prior to commencing them. Magnesium and Iron - just to pinpoint two - can greatly affect our body 'mechanics' if they are not dosed with a bit of caution, so I would have a word first.

LittleMissAlone
23-08-16, 03:35
Oh that's a good point, I'd better check that I'm not doing any harm. I'll do that today. I'm not sure if they work and I think I eat a balanced diet. I'll let you know what a pharmacist says.

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-16, 06:32
You will be fine with vitamins & minerals, you already eat them in your food. Things like B supplements can be a bit activating for some so it might be wise to split the pill (not if it's enteric coated though, which it would say on the box or in any leaflet) if you suspect you might be a bit sensitive.

Magnesium is fine with meds.

It's more the herbals that are the issue. St. John's Wort works with Serotonin hence it can cause problems. 5-HTP the same (it's a precursor). Gingko Biloba has many interactions with antidepressants and cannot be taken with them.

Use the interactions checked on Drugs.com. It's fine for many herbals when checking against a med.

Many GP's don't understand supplements but a pharmacist often does so that's another option if your GP looks at you blankly or says they dare not advise it (a possible sign of a knowledge gap).

LittleMissAlone
23-08-16, 07:29
When do gps not look at you blankly?! Thanks for this, Terry. I tend to eat more mushrooms than I used to for the B vits which I think they contain. I assume that is ok too.

---------- Post added at 07:29 ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 ----------

I've just done a quick search and mushrooms contain loads of minerals and vitamins, I'm sure they're OK.

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-16, 07:56
As long as they aren't "magic mushrooms"...:winks:

Vitamins & minerals can often pass through the body very quickly and be poorly absorbed, especially minerals that are in salt form since the body isn't really designed for them (hence why many magnesium supplements are chelated or absorbed in other ways like through the skin).

So, the question really is going to be how much extra do you need in total. As long as you are not going above dangerous thresholds or have any condition that means certain vitamins & minerals may need special care, it may not matter much if you are taking what you could add on in food if you improved diet. And I would expect warnings present if they were an issue with these meds, but as Magic & Debs said, it can be best to check. I wouldn't bother with very safe things like vitamin C though, you will know if you take too much of that...you will be on the toilet all day! :blush:

LittleMissAlone
23-08-16, 08:24
Well yes, the body is an amazing thing, but unfortunately as we know our minds are very delicate. Just while I've got you Terry, another quick question if you can. In the winter and spring I'd go for little runs most mornings but not feel particularly well after. Over the summer I've been a lot more lax and have felt better. This morning I've done a yoga thing, press ups and a longer than average (15 mins about) run. I still feel fine but I did feel slightly on edge again briefly after a cup of tea. So why is it that exercise can sometimes knock you down, when everyone says it's supposed to be so beneficial? It almost makes you reluctant, we're not talking marathons here. Thanks.

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-16, 08:34
Are you sure it's not the caffeine?

Exercise causes release of adrenaline and cortisol. If you go over about an hour, cortisol greatly increases. That's not a good thing for us.

Adrenaline is being released around the body but it's for the exercise itself. If you are already anxious due to too much adrenaline, exercise does cause that excess adrenaline to be metabolized into other chemicals the body needs (as does deep breathing) but it takes a bit of time to do that.

Plus we have the issue whereby we interpret physical sensations incorrectly. Excitement can be seen as "will this turn into a panic attack?" when it's just excitement. The reason being, some of the sensations are similar. Sex is a good example, and why we get so many threads about why someone feels anxious during & after, how they feel they are going into DP/DR or brain fog post orgasm, etc yet that's just the endorphins kicking in. Someone who takes a Diazepam can start fighting the weird feeling it brings straight over them. I've been through all of those over the years.

I got over my fear if heart rate issues with exercise a certain way. Running with my dog. He gets excited and wants to run, so I ran too. The first couple of times it worried me because my HR was up and my breathing was laboured (I have asthma, so have had an anxiety focus on that) but then I found myself enjoying that feeling.

Now I'm currently doing battle with the other side of exercise, aching. This has been a trigger for me for years and yet it's a totally normal after effect of certain types of exercise that never bothered me much before my anxiety started. :doh:

So, you could be on edge because you are experiencing natural exercise effects but they feel similar to your anxiety. Or it could be some excess adrenaline that needs to metabolize, that caffeine, and there is the cortisol issue.

LittleMissAlone
23-08-16, 08:45
Oh Terry you're so clever and fab. You're right, it was probably the caffeine, plus when I drank it I had 2 crumpets with a bit of honey, so that's a caffeine and sugar combo.

That sex analogy is apt, we have an upper which is followed by a downer.

I also think it's interesting how we view adrenalin. We think it's the enemy because our bodies process it so negatively, but there's loads of adrenalin junkies out there. These nut jobs who throw themselves out of planes and do other mad (but ultimately safe) things like bungee jumping, presumably their adrenalin doesn't render them quivering wrecks, as we may be say buying something at a supermarket. They just want more of it, they love it so much.

I would like to know how they channel that adrenalin so positively, would that help us?