PDA

View Full Version : Something strange is happening!

Debs21uk
21-08-16, 17:02
Okay I was intent on making a switch from citalopram as I was convinced it was not working. I had horrific anxiety through 6 dosage changes so I thought it wasn't working, I saw a psych who added in quetiapine. So 12 days on quetiapine and I felt zombified and my thoughts weren't any better so I came off it 3 nights ago and down to 30mg citalopram. 30mg is the highest I've ever went before my dr started the dosage nonsense.

I hate to say too much but I feel better already. I assumed all the anxiety was because the citalopram wasn't working but now I think it could just have been pushing my dosage too high from what I could tolerate. I know it's working in some wayas I am not depressed as I was before.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had to alter their dosage because it caused too much anxiety but when it lowered things improved?

I'm going to put off a switch for a bit longer as I'm not sure if I needed a lower dose. It's so confusing!

pollynewsome
21-08-16, 17:50
Hello. Well I have gone upto 30mg from 20mg.. I was 4 months at 20mg and felt some improvement but not right. Made the jump to 30mg, doc wanted me to go to 40mg but I said no.. I'm now 3 weeks at 30mg and have been feeling much better. However today head tension, can't get my breath, jaw and gums achy and . chest tight and feel dreadful.. horrible but bareable. I was def improving but not good today. Got to make doc app tomorrow so will see what they say. Glad you feeling bit better. Yippee x

Debs21uk
21-08-16, 19:35
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed it was just the dosage changes that heightened the anxiety. I would say don't let your dr push you up any further than you're happy to go, I wish I had said no but I thought she knew best. It could still be side effects, I know I was clenching my jaw terribly through the dosage changes and headaches. I hope things keep improving for you x

MyNameIsTerry
22-08-16, 07:11
I just don't understand why GP's keep driving up dosages. I guess they want to stabilise us as quickly as possible but then withdrawing is just made harder.

I agree with Debs, move up a dose at a time and spent plenty of time seeing if that works. Otherwise you very quickly run out of adjustments and your GP will look to a switch and start rushing up the dosages all over again.

Debs, I think you are doing the right thing. If all you need is a slight reduction, that's far better than taking the risk of switching. Ven is also one of the two hardest antidepressants to come off in general (although many come off fine) so it's often used later on when other options are exhausted.

Debs21uk
22-08-16, 15:22
Thanks Terry!

Fingers crossed things stabilise, do you know how long it takes to stabilise on a changed dose? I suppose in terms of how you feel it's subjective.

My dr said she wanted me at the highest dose because that's where the research has been proven an increased dose works at. Although she neglected the fact I told her 30mg was the highest I ever went and it worked every time. Needless to say I've switched to a different doctor!

Mick081081
22-08-16, 20:47
20mg made me like a zombie and 10mg wasn't enough so I now take 15mg and things are good, Been on this med nearly 4 years and it's about finding the balance that's good for you. All the best it's annoying how the GP's offer as much as they feel but persevere and find the dose that's best for you as an individual. Took me over a year uppingand downing the dose.

pollynewsome
22-08-16, 20:51
im wondering if 25mg my spot.. cos dont feel too good at 30mg. Was feeling loads better but iffy now!

Debs21uk
22-08-16, 23:08
It's worth looking into, the dr's just go with the doses that the research has been carried out on. I was a mess at 40mg and even at 35mg it was pushing my anxiety up. This is the 10th day of lowering my dose, I've still got a headache and anxiety but it's much lower than it was. 30mg was what I increased to first so it could be the dr's recommendation has caused an extra 3 months of needless suffering.

After my dosage problems I now have the confidence to say no to my dr, I wish I had the strength to do that before. I'm not moving until I feel it's right!

pollynewsome
23-08-16, 17:43
yeah i may drop to 25mg. its just a nightmare splitting but i guess it makes me feel better. So what dose are you on now Deb?? xx

Debs21uk
23-08-16, 18:44
I'm on 30mg which is what I usually adjust up to if I need to. It has definitely lowered my anxiety levels but because I've become so attuned to all the dosage symptoms I'm feeling jittery still.

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-16, 07:14
Fingers crossed things stabilise, do you know how long it takes to stabilise on a changed dose? I suppose in terms of how you feel it's subjective.

I think you created a new thread for this so I posted some stuff on there.

Debs21uk
24-08-16, 16:30
Thanks Terry I got it, the insomnia is messing with my brain about how many times I've posted it.

Victory2016
24-08-16, 18:42
Hi Deb.....I think that is possible. My Psychiatrist thinks the Celexa maybe activating me and causing my anxiety. So I may end up reducing or weaning off the Celexa.

Debs21uk
25-08-16, 16:27
Well I was hoping the cit would come through for me again but I think it's time to admit defeat. The old thoughts are coming back, I feel really flat and can't be bothered. I think I'll switch to escitalopram since its closely related but I know my dr wants me to come off cit completely first which I'm not looking forward to.

Speak to my dr tomorrow so I'll let you know how things go.