PDA

View Full Version : Went to cardiologist and now I'm more scared!

misslove
22-08-16, 16:40
I had my yearly cardiology check up for my irregular heart beat. I had a sono done, my bloop pressure and ekg. He said they were all normal and nothing. Well the. I asked him about when I get headaches when I work out. Then he said to take my heart rate and bp when it happens and if my heart rate is over 120 to call him. I can't help but worry. Why would he say to call if noting was wrong????

Gary A
22-08-16, 17:21
I had my yearly cardiology check up for my irregular heart beat. I had a sono done, my bloop pressure and ekg. He said they were all normal and nothing. Well the. I asked him about when I get headaches when I work out. Then he said to take my heart rate and bp when it happens and if my heart rate is over 120 to call him. I can't help but worry. Why would he say to call if noting was wrong????

Because there was nothing wrong. :unsure:

He's giving you advice that you should act on. It's what doctors do, they can check you out there and then, but they can't be there 24/7, so they give you some advice to take back into the real world with you.

ServerError
22-08-16, 17:21
I can understand being anxious in your position. However, you have nothing to worry about. You have received a clean bill of health - an actual living breathing cardiologist has said all your results are fine.

All he's saying is that if your rate gets to a certain level, call him. He's not saying it will happen. It's just precautionary advice.

I know it's hard to think that way and you're the one who has to live with the irregular heartbeat, but you really can live.

misslove
22-08-16, 17:46
I told him that I would have chest pains and he said just don't worry. I told him I have anxiety and he kinda just smiled it off. I don't feel like he too if seriously. Just don't worry isn't really good advice to a cronic worrier!

ServerError
22-08-16, 17:49
He's a cardiologist and, if he wants to remain one, he has to deal professionally and thorough with heart issues. If he says don't worry, that's a good indication that you shouldn't worry. He's not there to sugar coat anything or try and hide the truth from you. In his professional opinion, you don't need to worry. That's a good outcome.

hanshan
22-08-16, 17:49
120 bpm is normal for a moderate to vigorous workout, so long as it is only temporary and quickly falls back to a normal rate upon ceasing exercise.

.Poppy.
22-08-16, 19:33
When I had a sonogram done for my irregular heartbeat, the doctor actually told me that my heart was healthier because of the irregular beat. No idea if it's true, but I chose to believe him. :)

He probably just wants you to monitor and make sure it goes down after exercise so that you're sure it's not a heart issue causing the headaches. Since you've got a clean bill of health, it really probably isn't a heart issue. The headaches probably stem from something else - what kind of workout do you do? Do you stretch properly? How's your posture? Do you work out outside where you could be exposed to allergies? Is it chilly or too hot (which is what usually gives me nasty headaches!)?

misslove
22-08-16, 21:33
I really only her headache when I do cardio. He said to not drink coffee 10 hours before I do my workout then try it.

Fishmanpa
22-08-16, 21:48
I really only her headache when I do cardio. He said to not drink coffee 10 hours before I do my workout then try it.

That makes total sense. Caffeine can do that!

Positive thoughts

Gary A
22-08-16, 21:50
Headaches during cardio workouts are almost always down to dehydration. Drink plenty of water before and during these workouts, it should help.

Worrywonka
23-08-16, 00:37
If u want a more extensive heart exam.. Get a stress test done at ur cardiologist. That tests pretty much shows how the heart functions during exercise. But having him say ir heart is ok.. Is great news!

.Poppy.
23-08-16, 02:11
Headaches during cardio workouts are almost always down to dehydration. Drink plenty of water before and during these workouts, it should help.

That makes perfect sense, especially if you are consuming a lot of caffeine. Caffeine will dehydrate you without you realizing it.

misslove
23-08-16, 04:57
I'm going to try to skip coffee on workout days and see how it goes. He told me to get a heart monitor and I think I'm gonna order one this week.