PDA

View Full Version : Call from dermatologist today said my mole needs more testing

Krypt0night
22-08-16, 17:58
I have honestly never felt this scared in my life. I had a mole removed last week and just got the call today that there was some activity in the skin and it needed to be sent somewhere else for more testing. It just seems like my chances are super increased for something like melanoma. The only thing I can think of is that this means I have it. I've had skin cancer fear for a while and this is just confirming all my fears. I've had moles removed before and they've always come back okay with the first phone call. I've never had to get it looked at more. I feel sick to my stomach and have to wait another week for results.

Fishmanpa
22-08-16, 18:07
I understand your fear but no one can answer that question.

Here's the thing... IF there's something going on ("IF "being the key word), it's very early and very treatable and curable!

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
22-08-16, 18:33
Agreed, and I'd be nervous too. But there's a chance it's harmless as well. And the good news is it is off your body!!

Krypt0night
22-08-16, 18:36
I've just never had a mole need more testing before, and I currently can do nothing more than sit on my couch and cry. I'm about to move 3k miles away this week for my dream job and now I have this fear over me just adding more stress.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

If I was to find a positive side, it's that the mole is fairly new on my body so hopefully that means it didn't have time to spread if it was anything. I wanted to get it looked at months ago but didn't have insurance to cover it. Finally decided to pay out of pocket last week, but now I'm wishing I had back when I was first worried about it

dale12345
22-08-16, 18:38
It would be very early, so it will be fine.

ServerError
22-08-16, 18:42
As you said, there was "activity" in the skin. But activity can be benign, and usually is. So it will more than likely be nothing.

And even if it isn't the news you hoped for, it's off your skin now, so you'll be okay.

Krypt0night
22-08-16, 18:45
I've only ever gotten the "all clear" phone calls before so this one was extremely scary. "Activity" on top of the fact that it needs more testing was enough to send me into tears, but if activity can be benign then that's good to hear.

I just have a LOT of moles so I have a feeling I'll be even more scared of skin cancer now and become even more obsessive over any moles.

KeeKee
22-08-16, 18:50
I've read (possibly on here) about people having moles removed and were told they were changing but they still weren't cancer.
I imagine changing could also be described as having activity.

Fingers crossed for you, it must be a very stressful time for you.

NancyW
23-08-16, 03:45
I see you're in the US, I'd call them back and ask for explanation.

That's not how our pathology reports come back.

Atypical mole ok, bring you back in to remove a bit more tissue.. ok.. but to send it off somewhere else?
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.

Kayla1992
23-08-16, 03:54
I have had a mole removed before because it had changed and was different from the rest of my moles. Turned out to be completely benign! Also, my grandma had a mole removed that turned out to be melanoma, but because it was early it was completely cured and she has never had one since and that was 15 years ago and she is still alive and well today :) yours sounds like it is most likely to be perfectly fine! And these things are cured with early detection

lscmichelle
24-08-16, 04:22
I have had a mole removed before because it had changed and was different from the rest of my moles. Turned out to be completely benign! Also, my grandma had a mole removed that turned out to be melanoma, but because it was early it was completely cured and she has never had one since and that was 15 years ago and she is still alive and well today :) yours sounds like it is most likely to be perfectly fine! And these things are cured with early detection

I have always been worrying about melanoma, not the skin tho but the eyes. I wish I knew younger that there is such thing called Eye Melanoma, and I definitely wouldn't have started this horrible habit of using my phone on bed in the dark - worst part is I have already convinced myself I will definitely get eye melanoma some time in my life (i am 19 btw) and I have imagined so many scenarios in my head, I'll probably be blind in 10 years time if luckily still alive. My future was originally very bright but I just realised I have ruined it, with my own hands - that's the thing that i wont be able to forgive myself forever.

And also your grandma is very lucky, i heard that melanoma are likely to strike again even though u have it removed. Well im not sure if i will be this lucky.. sigh

Kayla1992
24-08-16, 08:47
If you are worried about your eyes, go to an optometrist and have your retinas scanned. I had this done recently and it takes 30 seconds. They can get a full spectrum picture of your retinas and they will tell you if you have any freckles on your retina :)