PDA

View Full Version : Large lump in armpit

sactown024
22-08-16, 22:21
I am 32 year old male and two weeks ago I found a lump the size of a grape in my armpit. It's swollen enough that you can see it on the outside. I never noticed before and then all the sudden it was there. It's large enough that it would be hard to miss and I looked back at some photos from 5 weeks ago and it wasnt there. It's been two weeks now and hasnt seemed to grow.

I went to the doctor today and he said it's moving (not fixed). because I have not had any signs of having a cold and there is no direct sign of infection around the lump he wants me to get an unltrasound/blood work. He kept ensuring me that he thinks everything is normal and just wanted to do the ultrasound and blood to put my mind at ease.

I am really worried at this point since I havnt got my ultrasound/blood done yet (going tomorrow). After searching these forums everyone says their swollen lymph nodes are size of a pea, no one seems to have large one like mine. If its not a viral infection what could it be?

Has anyone else had a swollen lymphnode the size of mine under arm?

Gary A
22-08-16, 22:24
I am 32 year old male and two weeks ago I found a lump the size of a grape in my armpit. It's swollen enough that you can see it on the outside. I never noticed before and then all the sudden it was there. It's large enough that it would be hard to miss and I looked back at some photos from 5 weeks ago and it wasnt there. It's been two weeks now and hasnt seemed to grow.

I went to the doctor today and he said it's moving (not fixed). because I have not had any signs of having a cold and there is no direct sign of infection around the lump he wants me to get an unltrasound/blood work. He kept ensuring me that he thinks everything is normal and just wanted to do the ultrasound and blood to put my mind at ease.

I am really worried at this point since I havnt got my ultrasound/blood done yet (going tomorrow). After searching these forums everyone says their swollen lymph nodes are size of a pea, no one seems to have large one like mine. If its not a viral infection what could it be?

Has anyone else had a swollen lymphnode the size of mine under arm?

Anything that grows that rapidly in such a short space of time is most likely as a result of infection or injury. I can't tell you what it is, but it really doesn't sound at all sinister.

GadGirl
22-08-16, 22:26
If it's anything I get swollen lymph nodes in my groin area quite frequently usually when I'm ill which is quite a lot my immune system is screwed and they are huge they feel like marbles. I have had them checked out and nothing has ever been found

Luja
22-08-16, 23:26
I have always been told that if a lump is moveable then.it's nothing sinister. My child had a lump a size of a golf ball(no word of a lie) and it was hard really hard ... turned out to be a nasty infection. Try not to worry (she says as she is just as anxious about her symptoms lol)

crazygal
23-08-16, 00:26
It's probably a blocked sweat gland. I get them every summer. They usually disappear within a month. Try avoiding deodorant while youre home and make sure to exfoliate .

Its most likely nothing.

sactown024
23-08-16, 00:33
My biggest concern is I always read that most ppl with infection of some sort say it hurts. Mine only becomes painful if I touch it a lot, then it becomes sore. It doesn't hurt to touch.

Crazygal-- mine isn't red and irritated looking which is what I see on Google for sweat glands. It's just a lump from the swelling.

chatty girl
23-08-16, 06:43
I've always been told if a lump is movable its a cyst or something similar. I've had lots of lumps in my armpits some pop others eventually disappear on their own.

I know its scarry but at least he's taking it seriously and sending you for tests that I'm sure all will be absolutely fine.

Sending hugs xx

BrokenAge
23-08-16, 08:00
I actually had a cyst in my armpit when I was a freshman. I thought it was cancer as well but I never went to the doctor. I agree with crazy gal. Try to avoid deodorant, it made it worse for me as well.

Luja
23-08-16, 08:34
Let us know how it goes x

sactown024
23-08-16, 18:12
anyone have an ultrasound on lymph node? How long does it take, will they say weather or not they see something as they are doing it?

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Sorry to keep posting but just noticed something while looking at photos in my phone. I found a pic on May 20th and the lump was clearly showing. I then looked at multiple pics from 5-6 weeks later and there was nothing. And then 5 more weeks later it's there again.

Any suggestions?

Fishmanpa
23-08-16, 18:19
Any suggestions?

Wait to get tested as opposed to ruminating on what most likely is benign. Let us know the good news :) I just had an US on a lump in my back... Lipoma

Positive thoughts

KeeKee
23-08-16, 18:26
Whilst none of us can say for certain, my GP did tell me if a node goes up and down its nothing to worry about.
My node under my chin is constantly up and down even though I rarely get colds or any obvious signs of infection.

sactown024
23-08-16, 18:27
Sorry to keep posting but just noticed something while looking at photos in my phone. I found a pic on May 20th and the lump was clearly showing. I then looked at multiple pics from 5-6 weeks later and there was nothing. And then 5 more weeks later it's there again.

Any suggestions?

Fishmanpa
23-08-16, 18:31
Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts

sophiethestar
23-08-16, 18:49
I had an ultrasound last week on a lump on my upper inner thigh. I was worried too as I'd never had an ultrasound before either. I was slightly reassured as my blood test results were fine. The ultrasound only took around 10 minutes. The Doctor that scanned me was reassuring and talked me through what it might be. He then sent the results to my GP the same day. I met with my GP today who confirmed what the ultrasound man had said and they think it is just a sebaceous cyst. Also, remember that lymph nodes can swell at anything. My armpit nodes swell if I shave my armpits the wrong way. I guess some of us are just more prone to swelling than others- our immune systems must be working well. :)

sactown024
23-08-16, 20:53
So just left ultrasound and the lady didn't say anything. I asked if there was anything I should know and she just said she had to send them out to radiologist. Now I'm freaking she saw something and wondering why she didn't say everything looks normal :/

Fishmanpa
23-08-16, 21:13
Now I'm freaking she saw something and wondering why she didn't say everything looks normal :/

Because they can't/not allowed to comment. They're just the technician. A trained radiologist is the one that reads the results and writes the report.

Positive thoughts

NancyW
23-08-16, 21:21
So just left ultrasound and the lady didn't say anything. I asked if there was anything I should know and she just said she had to send them out to radiologist. Now I'm freaking she saw something and wondering why she didn't say everything looks normal :/

I hate this for you, I truly do.

That said.. I've had some that 'talk' and some that are so tight lipped I wonder if they get some kind of thrill holding such power.

Unfortunately, we are at their mercy.

At this point I just hope you hear from your dr soon so this torture is over.

Sending you good vibes and a ox :-)

crazygal
23-08-16, 22:11

I've had too many ultra sounds to count due to my HA. And I know only the radiologist can interpret results. Fortunately I go to a clinic where the ultrasound technicians are also radiologist so they do the report right there in the office after I get my ultrasound. She then hands me a copy of the report for me and I follow up with Doctor.

Don't freak out. It's probably nothing it's just she's not at liberty to say. She could lose her job if she does.

dale12345
23-08-16, 22:23
They aren't allowed to say anything doesn't mean its cancer.

sactown024
24-08-16, 23:45
Hey guys just wanted to update. I got off the phone with my doctor and he got results from the u/s and apparently it was "inconclusive". So it basically just showed a large lymph node and that's all they could tell. Now, they are sending me to get biopsy and blood since u/s didn't really give any information.

I had to call the doctor office to ask for my u/s results and the first nurse said "let me get the other nurse who wrote these notes down. She got on the phone and said "the doctor wants to talk to you, he'll call you back". So for the last 3 hrs I've been crying (32 male) because I was convinced the nurses were too scared to tell me and wanted the doctor to tell me. I'm still scared since I don't have an answer but fingers crossed.

I'm deathly afraid of needles and now I'm freaking out about blood work and biopsy. Doctor said he giving me pills to calm me down.

Fishmanpa
24-08-16, 23:55
Ok... let's look at this based on what you said. Came up quick. Comes and goes. You've been poking and prodding since finding it. That causes nodes to be reactive. Ultrasound showed the reactive node. Docs are doing what they're supposed to be doing.

I understand your concern. Been there, done that, have the medal, but one step at a time. There's a saying among us warriors and survivors... "It's not cancer until they say it is" and the odds are stacked heavily in your favor for a good result as you've not exhibited any other symptoms.

Positive thoughts

sactown024
25-08-16, 00:17
Thanks King, makes me feel better.

sactown024
25-08-16, 21:39
Update -- took Xanax before blood test, biopsy, and X-rays. Never taken a drug like that but wow did it help. Very drowsy now but well worth it, without it I would have panniced and passed out. Now I wait for results which I wish i had more Xanax for. Asking for prayers 🙏

Fishmanpa
25-08-16, 21:55
Ooooo Xanax - I call it the F%$# It pill ~lol~

I had that when I was going through treatments. I had to have a fiberglass mask put on and I was clamped down to the table as this rotating radiation beam thing went around my head zapping me. While I was fine without it, the Xanax made it more like a party! The comedian Bill Engvall did a routine about taking pain meds and said... "A half a vicodin and a Bahama Mama make for a bitchin' day" ~lol~ Well let me tell ya... "A Xanax and a couple of tokes of medical weed make for a bitchin' day"
too!

Will keep you in prayer and as always...

Positive thoughts

sactown024
06-09-16, 17:23
Just got back from doctor with no answers. He said my blood came back normal except for I have low white blood cell count (not high) which he said isn't concerning. Biopsy came back with sign of some type of cell (forget name) that he said can be related to something completely normal like infection or something bad, he said the spectrum is huge so once again no answer. X rays came back normal. He is sending me to a surgeon for a Excisional biopsy and hopefully get real results from that because as of now everything is inconclusive which is super frustrating.

After that long talk he checked my lump again and was really impressed how much it shrunk. He said when I first came in it was length of thumb and now it's more like his thumbnail. I'm wondering if it's really shrinking or if the needle biopsy made smaller. This is driving me crazy and really effecting me and my family, I just want answers :(