PDA

View Full Version : It's so hard to shake this parent anxiety!

Mrschurchill
23-08-16, 08:42
I've recently shifted my HA to being more worried about my daughter than myself!
She's 3 and half, in pre-school so picking up a million and one germs. Well last night she came home from nursery with a high temp. Nothing else! No runny nose, no cough, just this high temperature. When she came home (around 5:30pm) she said was soo tired and fell asleep on the couch - very unlike her - waking about 20 mins later having perked up a bit and having some food.

It's no secret that I have this gnawing feeling that she has leukemia. Even writing that seems ridiculous, but I do.
She'll go a couple of weeks of being totally fine then all of a sudden it's another high temp with no other symptoms!

I need a slap in the face as I feel I am going mad!

Please tell me other parents have kids who are picking up bugs left right and centre?! :doh:

Darwin73
23-08-16, 09:13
Very, very common for young children to come down with everything going, particularly if they are at nursery. They are building up their immune system. You are not going mad :) My eldest is 13 now, but when he was three he seemed to have a permanent cold, including plenty of high temperatures. Just before his fourth birthday, he was ill for 6 weeks with chicken pox, conjunctivitis, then a stomach bug all following on from each other with no break. Funnily enough, I noticed a similar spike in viruses just after starting senior school and the exposure to a whole new set of germs.

Mrschurchill
23-08-16, 09:31
Thanks Darwin, I was doing so well because we had a great couple of weeks of no bugs then yesterday happened and I'm back to being a wreck! :doh:

BrokenAge
23-08-16, 10:16
I don't know how to relate to since I'm not a parent but I do remember be a little kid and I was sick very often. I'd have a new cold from school just about every week. I hope that gives some relief!

Gary A
23-08-16, 11:24
Thanks Darwin, I was doing so well because we had a great couple of weeks of no bugs then yesterday happened and I'm back to being a wreck! :doh:

My daughter just turned 3 and I swear the little so and so is actually going round picking up colds and such with the sole intent of giving them to me. :ohmy:

Kids that age pick up all manner of bugs, especially at pre-school. Their immune systems just aren't as tough as ours. It's actually the bugs and stuff they pick up at that age that strengthens the immune system, so it's really not a bad thing.

Its not leukemia, it's just a child's body building itself up.

Mojo61
23-08-16, 13:23
Oh, I am terrible for this but my son is 19 years old!!!

KeeKee
23-08-16, 13:30
I have a 9 year old but I don't worry about her health like I do mine. I honestly don't know why.

Until she was about 5 or 6 she was a very 'sickly' child. As was I until that age too. Her immune system will still be building up.

Gary I never knew you had a young child! I pictured you as a student doctor or something due to your insightful responses ha.

Gary A
23-08-16, 13:41
Oh, I am terrible for this but my son is 19 years old!!!

It's a mother thing with a son. My mum always says I'm always her little boy. She also says that any bitch who comes near me has to get past her first. :roflmao:

My mum has literally zero chill.

Mrschurchill
23-08-16, 14:24
High temps terrify me! Need a bloody chill pill!

sidiam
23-08-16, 20:52
How high is a "high temperature" and how often does it happen?
Wouldn't it reassure you if you checked with your doctor.
it's been a long time since my son was 3 years old, so I can't be of much help, sorry.
take care
Sxx

Mrschurchill
23-08-16, 20:56
Temp is about 38.5/39? She's not completely burning to touch but she's warm all over.
Her last one was exactly a month ago. The one before that was 2 months previous xx

Mrschurchill
24-08-16, 10:25
She's woken this morning feeling much better with no temperature. Bit of a stuffed sounding nose.

Ok maybe my L fear is being a bit dramatic...!