PDA

View Full Version : Strange fear when driving...

JasonBlue
23-03-07, 20:24
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else ihas had anything similar to my latest worry?

When I'm driving it's like I can't feel the steering wheel and that the car is about to go out of control or a wheel fall off. It feels like the car is wandering all over the road and the steering wheel isn't working properly.

I've had the car checked(twice!) and they say there is nothing wrong but being a worrier I'm not obviously convinced.

Jason

:blush:

groovygranny
23-03-07, 20:35
Not quite like you say, but I do get a sort of driving 'hypnosis' - as though I have to really concentrate to keep control of the car.

Seems to happen mostly when I'm driving with trees on each side of the road with the light flashing in between the branches. Weird :wacko:

Dianepine
23-03-07, 20:39
Hi Jason, I know what you mean I tend to think that the breaks are going to fall, or the steering wheel might lock. Really silly but it is a fear, but like you said being a worrier nothing any one can say will convince us. But as you have had it checked I really would try not to worry about it, try chewing gum and having the radio in the background when you drive - this sometimes helps me.

Take Care

Diane xx

christian
24-03-07, 06:12
Yes I get that panicky feeling driving sometimes.
For a while I was troubled by the queer sensation when Im on a motorway that my car and all the other cars are standing still and it is only the road that is moving. Silly but disconcerting.

I've gradually learned to discard these feelings and relax and simply trust that these sensations are absurd.

I've also noticed as well that the flashing of light through trees induces a curious sort of disorientation. I think there must be some simple biological explanation for this. Similar to way flashing lights can trigger seizures in epileptics.

djm
24-03-07, 13:15
Hi

I get this when driving. Especially when travelling at higher speed and overtaking on a motorway. It's like I get an 'unreal' sensation of being in control (or, rather not) of the car. Hard to explain. Another situation that makes me panicy, is going through tunnels.

Strange eh ?

Take care
Dave

JasonBlue
24-03-07, 17:41
Thanks for your replies.

Dave - sounds very similar to my anxiety.
Strangely though, I have very little fear of tunnels, it's bridges I dont like!

Jason

wecandoit
02-04-07, 17:40
I have this too, and I have no other real anxiety symptoms. I once had hypnosis to overcome it, and it worked for a while. I then had no car for a couple of years and its now a problem again.

I only have it when travelling at high speeds, so I just tend to stick to lane 1 on the motorway and apologise to my passengers about my issue and that I like to stick to 60-70mph!

Ellen70
02-04-07, 23:19
Hi Jason, yes I get this and a hundred other symptoms whilst driving. I think it is due to all the adrenalin that is pumped into your body when a feeling of intense fear or panic grabs you. I have so many weird things that I do whilst driving. Driving on straight, open roads is the worst for me so I stick to quieter country roads. There are certain roads I won't drive on at al because I have had so many pa s on them that the mere memory of that road will induce panic.
Sometimes playing really loud music or doing something like counting backwards distracts me from these feelings but not always.