PDA

View Full Version : My gf has anxiety and I want to learn to understand it

Sabaken
23-08-16, 10:50
Hi, everyone:)
My name is Svetlana (Lana) and I don't think I have any anxiety problems, but my girlfriend does.
She is an unbelievably amazing creature, who has to deal with social anxiety. As far as I know she is not getting panic attacks anymore, but had a couple in the past. It is was hard for me at first to understand what is going on. For example, there was a time I asked her what she thought a certain thing is pronounced and she won't be able to answer, she just got "stuck"... Later she explained to me, that was anxiety and this is what it's like. Not just "bad thoughts", it is a real thing that causes real problems. It is also difficult for her to express her emotions sometimes, and I have to guess why is she upset, is she upset at all, etc.
Unfortunately, I am a total dummy when it comes to all the mental health problems and can be insensitive (by accident). The way I was raised in Russia even physical health used to be treated by "suck it up, girl" :doh: So anxiety is something I've never faced before. And I think several articles that I googled didn't do the job properly.
So far I know how to calm her down if something I asked/asking her to do makes her feel anxious (which is to change the topic immediately), I also know what things make her feel calmer and know that if she doesn't want to go clubbing, it is not because she hates music, it is because she gets anxious in such social gatherings.
I am here mostly to learn from you, guys. I love my girlfriend and I want her to have that safe place, that she is lacking with me. I want to learn how to create that safe space, how to make her feel better around me, and mostly how to stop being a dumbass (sorry for the word) when it comes to dealing with anxiety problems.

Thank you for reading this <3

venusbluejeans
23-08-16, 10:58
Hiya Sabaken and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
25-08-16, 14:18
Good morning Sabaken. Your post really touched me. As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression you feel like no one really understands you. You coming here and asking honest questions is a wonderful way of showing you care for her. My simple suggestion would be to checkout posts and continue to ask questions.

As for myself, once I was honest with my family about what I was going through, it opened up a dialog that freed me from a lot of isolation and guilt. As long as you let her know you support and care, you are doing more than most in helping her cope. Best to you Sabaken and to her, encourage her to also checkout NMP as a safe place to express her feelings.

HalfJack
26-08-16, 00:37
Great place to come to learn more! I wish more people did that, what you're doing is wonderful. And I'm sure people would be happy to answer any questions you have :)