PDA

View Full Version : Adrenal fatigue, anxiety?

KatiePink
23-08-16, 11:31
Hi everyone hope you're all doing well!

I'm feeling a bit health anxious today..

Basically i let myself down and googled something. For a long time now, when i scratch my skin, even very softly i end up with very prominent white lines everywhere, i can sit and watch them appear and then they thicken and spread out.

I can literally draw pictures on myself with my finger lol they end up fading after about 5-10 minutes.

I never thought much of it really, until i googled and it came up with Adrenal fatigue.

I then saw - ADRENAL FUNCTION TEST #3- Sergent's Adrenal White Line

With your fingernail or the dull end of a spoon, draw a line across your belly. In moderate to severe cases of adrenal fatigue, the line will stay white, and even get wider over the course of time, while a "normal" reaction would be for the line to almost immediately turn red.

This test has historically been used to indicate severe adrenal fatigue and Addison's Disease. Milder cases of adrenal fatigue may not exhibit this sign.

I used the soft round end of a pen to make sure i wasn't scratching myself and did it very lightly, still i came out in these white lines everywhere, i did it on my partner and nothing. If i pressed hard enough he would get a very faint one but nothing like what mine does.

I know that stress especially emotional stress and anxiety must cause lots of problems with the body and hormones ect but is this something that i should see my GP about?

Gary A
23-08-16, 11:38
Hi everyone hope you're all doing well!

I'm feeling a bit health anxious today..

Basically i let myself down and googled something. For a long time now, when i scratch my skin, even very softly i end up with very prominent white lines everywhere, i can sit and watch them appear and then they thicken and spread out.

I can literally draw pictures on myself with my finger lol they end up fading after about 5-10 minutes.

I never thought much of it really, until i googled and it came up with Adrenal fatigue.

I then saw - ADRENAL FUNCTION TEST #3- Sergent's Adrenal White Line

I used the soft round end of a pen to make sure i wasn't scratching myself and did it very lightly, still i came out in these white lines everywhere, i did it on my partner and nothing. If i pressed hard enough he would get a very faint one but nothing like what mine does.

I know that stress especially emotional stress and anxiety must cause lots of problems with the body and hormones ect but is this something that i should see my GP about?

I've got visions in my head of people reading this and are now sitting clawing themselves to see what appears. :roflmao:

Adrenal fatigue comes with a whole host of symptoms that would alert you to the condition long before any skin lines or anything like that.

If you are worried then you should see a doctor, but I think they would probably tell you that you aren't showing any other signs therefore testing is unnecessary.

KatiePink
23-08-16, 11:45
I've got visions in my head of people reading this and are now sitting clawing themselves to see what appears. :roflmao:

Adrenal fatigue comes with a whole host of symptoms that would alert you to the condition long before any skin lines or anything like that.

If you are worried then you should see a doctor, but I think they would probably tell you that you aren't showing any other signs therefore testing is unnecessary.

Oh yeah i best edit that and remove it actually!

Really i don't want to see a doctor, because like i said these lines have appeared for years now, so its nothing new. I think the best course of action would be to concentrate on lowering stress and tackling anxiety, just improving my overall health and seeing how i go. I am tired all of the time, not a sleepy tired but i can't bloody move tired haha.

I think i will leave it then, if i start getting any obvious symptoms then i will mention it. :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

Actually it would be interesting(for me) to see how many people on here get it, if any, but at the same time it will probably cause problems for those with health anxiety, to be selfish or not to be :roflmao:

Fishmanpa
23-08-16, 12:44

I know right? My wife and I once saw someone in the store standing/walking on their heels and hopping on one leg. At first I was like WTF? Then, from reading about it here I realized it was someone self testing for some motor neuron disease ~lol~

KatieP... STOP! You're not a doctor nor is the search engine that found you that silly test. You're having a pretty rough time at the moment and that's what the issue is, not some obscure physical anomaly.

Focus on getting through this rough patch and things will improve.

Positive thoughts

KeeKee
23-08-16, 12:47
I've got visions in my head of people reading this and are now sitting clawing themselves to see what appears. :roflmao

I've just done that hahaha.

KatiePink adrenal fatigue is something I've worried about too. Mine was mainly as I read a sign could be when you are fatigued most of the time but get an energy boost in the evening and that is me! I also have dark circles which nobody in my family have so it's not hereditary.

I guess it's just one of those things though. It's hard to accept that it's down to stress/anxiety or depression though isn't it. I'm also utterly convinced I have a hormonal imbalance.

I've also had those white lines on my legs but don't get them on my arms. Not sure if some people may just get them anyway.if you've had them for years I doubt they mean anything.

Colicab85
23-08-16, 12:49
I can do this....mine are there.

Honestly....i think its fine :). Just one of them things the body does.

KatiePink
23-08-16, 12:52
I've just done that hahaha.

KatiePink adrenal fatigue is something I've worried about too. Mine was mainly as I read a sign could be when you are fatigued most of the time but get an energy boost in the evening and that is me! I also have dark circles which nobody in my family have so it's not hereditary.

I guess it's just one of those things though. It's hard to accept that it's down to stress/anxiety or depression though isn't it. I'm also utterly convinced I have a hormonal imbalance.

I've also had those white lines on my legs but don't get them on my arms. Not sure if some people may just get them anyway.if you've had them for years I doubt they mean anything.

Yes i don't really get them on my arms just stomach and legs. I am the same thinking there must be some sort of imbalance or something else causing symptoms :doh: i'm not really worried about any of it more upset that i've inflicted this on myself.

P.S sorry i made you scratch yourself lol

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

I can do this....mine are there.

Honestly....i think its fine :). Just one of them things the body does.

Yayyy :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

I know right? My wife and I once saw someone in the store standing/walking on their heels and hopping on one leg. At first I was like WTF? Then, from reading about it here I realized it was someone self testing for some motor neuron disease ~lol~

KatieP... STOP! You're not a doctor nor is the search engine that found you that silly test. You're having a pretty rough time at the moment and that's what the issue is, not some obscure physical anomaly.

Focus on getting through this rough patch and things will improve.

Positive thoughts

Yes sir :zipit: :roflmao:

Although i'm tempted to look into this hopping on one leg thing lol only kidding

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-16, 15:19
Adrenal fatigue is an unproven disorder currently so it's not accepted. That may change in the future since many doctors are willing to believe in it. Addison's (which always makes me think of the comic) is an accepted disorder which can be tested for.

So, where did you see this? Was it a reputable site?

Also, have you made a specific search and missed something, the classic bias issue? For instance, couldn't water retention cause it? I'm not sure without checking but a higher quantity of water may possible since it can have that type of effect on non human objects when you press on it (like the elasticity seems to be affected).

KatiePink
23-08-16, 15:29
Adrenal fatigue is an unproven disorder currently so it's not accepted. That may change in the future since many doctors are willing to believe in it. Addison's (which always makes me think of the comic) is an accepted disorder which can be tested for.

So, where did you see this? Was it a reputable site?

Also, have you made a specific search and missed something, the classic bias issue? For instance, couldn't water retention cause it? I'm not sure without checking but a higher quantity of water may possible since it can have that type of effect on non human objects when you press on it (like the elasticity seems to be affected).

I was reading on a few sites but have no idea what they were now, i typed in 'White lines coming up on skin when scratching' and the first thing i saw was this scratch test used for adrenal fatigue or addisons..

I didn't bother to look if anything else could possibly cause it though i just thought, well that sounds about right and rolled with it, lol i suppose there is tests they can do to check the function of the adrenal gland? I don't know anything about it which is surprising for me :D

skymaid
23-08-16, 15:59
ive now got a sore red line across my stomach. guess I pressed too hard

KatiePink
23-08-16, 16:44
ive now got a sore red line across my stomach. guess I pressed too hard

Oh gosh! What have i started lol i only do it very gentle :blush:

Phuzella
23-08-16, 20:21
I always thought that as, presumably, the adrenal glands produce adrenaline, they can get a bit fatigued? ?
Or am I looking at it too simplisticly? ?
Not Addisons though

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-16, 07:02
I always thought that as, presumably, the adrenal glands produce adrenaline, they can get a bit fatigued? ?
Or am I looking at it too simplisticly? ?
Not Addisons though

Yeah, I've always thought that. It's something I need to look into really.

Ever since I've been on my SNRI I've had periods of what feel like a spike followed by a burnout. I would expect to be washed out after a period of high anxiety but this happens every 7-10 days for me. It comes out of nowhere and I feel quite a bit different, it ramps up too after the first day. It's like a steady flow of increased adrenaline and it's unpleasant. After that, I can be exhausted for days.

If I can find out more about this I might be able to do something with herbals to balance adrenaline somehow.

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 ----------

I was reading on a few sites but have no idea what they were now, i typed in 'White lines coming up on skin when scratching' and the first thing i saw was this scratch test used for adrenal fatigue or addisons..

I didn't bother to look if anything else could possibly cause it though i just thought, well that sounds about right and rolled with it, lol i suppose there is tests they can do to check the function of the adrenal gland? I don't know anything about it which is surprising for me :D

There you go then, bias. The HA issue with tunnel vision and zooming in on things without looking around enough first to determine all possible causes.

It's like when you punch in something like fatigue. You get all the cancers back simply because those conditions are dramatic to the body and obviously cause fatigue, but fatigue is a symptom of many disorders & illnesses.

This one is quite specific, so I can understand not looking further but before you get into tests for things, look more generally first. I wouldn't be surprised if something like water retention causes something like this (just a hunch) and that's something women have to deal with a fair bit.

Darwin73
24-08-16, 08:47
Sounds like it could be a very mild form of dermatographic urticaria (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatographic_urticaria) which can be induced by stress. It is NOT scary and totally non life-threatening. I saw a medical programme featuring someone who could write on their skin in this way (more like what you describe, not the raised welts) and the medical people were all fascinated - and not concerned!