PDA

View Full Version : Comfort sleeping?

KatiePink
23-08-16, 13:42
I was just wondering if comfort sleeping is a thing and has anyone else felt like this?

I was speaking to my partner the other day about my anxiety ect it's no secret that i love going to bed in the day time, i love getting in bed and just feeling all safe and content that i'm inside away from the rest of the world.
It's not really about the sleep, although i do like my sleep, it's more about how it makes me feel and helps when i'm feeling anxious. I can lie there for hours feeling quite good but as soon as i'm up it's awful again.

I suppose it's my escape from facing reality :shrug:

KeeKee
23-08-16, 13:49
I don't go to bed during the day often (I did yesterday but it was the bad day of my period and I was physically exhausted.... TMI alert), but my bed is my sanctuary ha. That's how I always describe it. No matter how low or anxious I feel, once I get into bed on a night, I tend to relax. I watch TV or do a crossword (with TV on in background) and I just love it.

I agree about it being an escape from reality. I also love reading as it is an escape from the real world. I just can't bring myself to get started on a book darn!

skymaid
23-08-16, 14:09
yep me too. my therapist discouraged this behaviour during the day though. he says its a safety behaviour and will give the anxiety more power over you. and tbh since ive stopped it I have felt little less ahxious and more in the real world

debs71
23-08-16, 14:20
Yes, I do this....especially when my anxiety/depression is back again.

As you say Katie, I feel calmer just laying down, but I like sleep as it lets me escape from the anxiety/depression for a while.

I totally know that it really isn't healthy in the long run though, as it doesn't really solve anything, especially where the depression is concerned. It is far better to force myself up, get in the shower and do something productive, but motivation when either anxious or depressed is very difficult to achieve. I work for myself now from home so it also makes it easier for me to say sod it and go back to bed again.

My Dad (a GAD sufferer himself) has always told me that occupational therapy/keeping busy is the best way to handle mental health problems, but sometimes it is hard. xx

KatiePink
23-08-16, 14:53
It's sometimes nice to know you're not the only one, i agree that it's definitely a safety behavior and the more i continue to do it the harder it is to change.
I agree with your Dad debs be occupied or doing something productive is definitely the way to go, but like you say it is sometimes hard to accomplish when anxiety/depression are in full force. X

Keekee i'm just terrible that time of the month, there's no moving me :roflmao:

debs71
23-08-16, 19:08
I don't go to bed during the day often (I did yesterday but it was the bad day of my period and I was physically exhausted.... TMI alert)

I'm the same when that time comes around, and the first day is the worst for me.

OMG last month was horrendous. The physical stuff was bearable, but my bad mood was off the scale. I literally was chewing the head off every poor soul around me. They were running for cover, LOL.

Hormones......don't you just love them?!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

dale12345
23-08-16, 21:09
I do take naps to, my therapist has always said it wasn't a good idea but it gets hard.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Yeah hormones can suck.

KatiePink
23-08-16, 21:13
Yep definitely not a good idea but it's so nice and such a relief sometimes it's a hard cycle to break.

Yep Debs thats me, feel for my partner but we've been together long enough now he knows the score :roflmao:

Shazamataz
24-08-16, 01:08
I usually have a lie down/nap after lunch these days because months of anxiety have left me so exhausted :( The anxiety is finally shifting but the fatigue from it remains. I guess it will take a while to come right. It's also winter here and I had to leave my job so will admit it passes the time. It's only the past couple of weeks I'm actually enjoying a wee nap as I was too agitated before that.

Mermaid16
24-08-16, 01:59
I do this usually when I get home from work. I usually lay down and try and do some deep breathing or meditation for 1/2 hour to unwind from work, as I find that I can sometimes almost get frantic with anxiety after a long day. I can't fall asleep (and am not really trying to) but just like to lay with my eyes closed and relax...although I usually have two kids at the bedside saying 'mum, can you get this or that' or just want to chitty chat. Even with the interruptions though, I find it helps to relax. Yes, the bedroom is comforting, because it is quiet and soft and warm and my safe place.

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-16, 07:06
I've done a load of this. For me it was more about wishing the day away but it's still a safety behaviour. It's retreating, basically an avoidance.

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 ----------

I'm the same when that time comes around, and the first day is the worst for me.

OMG last month was horrendous. The physical stuff was bearable, but my bad mood was off the scale. I literally was chewing the head off every poor soul around me. They were running for cover, LOL.

Hormones......don't you just love them?!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

:sofa: So, I take it you don't like us banging hammers, leaving things in piles everywhere for you to trip over, putting things in the wrong places and generally being a pain in the arse around that time? :winks::noangel:

...but like my dad always says, "get used to being shouted out and told you are wrong even when you know you are right, it's good training for when you are married son". :yesyes::roflmao:

dale12345
25-08-16, 03:37
I try to take naps but the anxiety gets in the way.