PDA

View Full Version : Fed up of having no energy

KeeKee
23-08-16, 19:07
Anybody else feel really weak, tired and generally just 'not right'. Finding it really hard to believe this is due to my mental health issues.

It's so exhausting whether I spend the day lazing about the settee, go into town, or go for a walk to the Supermarket (about 10 minute walk away) I am unbelievably exhausted come about 3/4 o clock.

I don't exercise. I have a few reasons why I don't but I'll not go into them as it'll sound like I'm just making excuses. However I'm hardly inactive either. I don't drive so have to get the bus, buses are always running late so I end up walking to a different bus stop quite often which is 10 minutes away or so. I walk around the town etc, I would say I'm neither fit nor unfit.

But this lack of energy is killing me. I've felt groggy since around 3 o clock. I've made the tea, been in the bath, put the washing on and still feel like I could fall asleep. Any activity knocks me out and sitting about also knocks me out. Even a cup of coffee doesn't wake me up in the slightest. I'm just sick of it. I feel like I have no life with my mental health issues. Having no energy makes everything so much harder. I can't be bothered to do anything, however I still do push myself everyday. I'm up and ready everyday, for quite a while now I've slept through the nights too so I'm getting enough sleep. I have dark circles under my eyes, puffy eyes and my hair is like straw. I know stress can cause it, I just can't help but think I have some kind of deficiency or something. I've been tested for all the basics, B12, Iron, Thyroid. I just can't stand it anymore.

.Poppy.
23-08-16, 20:46
:hugs:

I get this way too. I think it's normal to feel sleepy around 3/4 o'clock...in the past, people used to take afternoon naps around that time.

Anxiety is just exhausting, though. I have dogs and I can tell you that nothing wears them out faster than playing mind games or working on new tricks. If we go on a hike, they've got energy to spare, but if we've been training for 20 minutes they're tired. Anxiety is like that...it keeps our brains working in overdrive and it's tiring, to say the least.

Have you tried just 30 minute power naps around that time of day?

KeeKee
23-08-16, 21:10
Thank you for replying poppy :-)

I do have the odd nap if I truly can't stay awake but I always wake up with really puffy eyes and a headache (albeit a mild one) so don't really like napping through the day.

It's horrible to feel this way isn't it. I really can't be bothered with housework or anything anymore. I'm on at the moment so maybe it's just that and I'll perk up in a few days but I have been told I look tired lately from a family member. I no longer allow any photos of me anymore whatsoever as I look disgusting.

Buster70
23-08-16, 22:46
Hi there , I get like this most days at some point the less I do the worse it gets , anxiety wares you out much more than a hard days work , some afternoons I get a dip and I feel sick I'm so exhausted , I used to look for reasons and you googleing but now except the fatigue is down to anxiety , I never get a full nights sleep and I sneek off for nap in my van some days but it doesn't help much , I don't have a miracle cure but I can relate to how you feel , I dought you look as bad as you think we just get a bit hard on ourselves when we are tired and anxous , take care .

Pepperpot
24-08-16, 01:58
I know you say you don't exercise and you don't state the reasons why, but in my opinion walking to the bus stop isn't a substitute for "proper exercise". I'm not meaning to sound rude or anything, it's just I've found (the hard way) that really increasing my heart rate and getting all hot and sweaty really helps me to focus my attention on anything other than how tired I feel/health worries/etc. I do martial arts and it's a good way of burning excess adrenaline. X

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-16, 07:12
I do martial arts and it's a good way of burning excess adrenaline. X

http://www.bestemoticon.com/smiley/violence/vio037.gif

Which do you do, Pepperpot?

I hope you & your mum are still doing well. :hugs::flowers:

KeeKee
24-08-16, 07:59
Thank you for replying.

It's just that this fatigue also coincides with me feeling really, really depressed for no reason. It alp started about a year ago I noticed split ends right up to the roots of my hair, then I started bruising much more than usual. Then came the dark circles and now I just feel completely wrecked. I know I'm not alone in this but when people are calling me 'lazy' etc for not working it just makes me feel hideous. I am genuinely exhausted and I know anxiety can cause this but until this week and excluding December my anxiety hasn't been too bad. I only really get anxious when I need to leave the house alone which isn't often. Although I guess any mental issue can cause exhaustion (I've felt severe stress this last year, just out of the blue couldn't handle things any more).

Pepperpot I know it isn't a substitute for proper exercise, it didn't sound rude. However as I hate being out in public due to my body image issues I do speed walk everywhere so my the time I get to the Supermarket or bus stop my heart is pounding and I literally have sweat dripping down my face. I'm not inactive and still leave the house everyday. But once mid afternoon comes that's me done until around 9 o clock where I start feeling OK again, it doesn't matter whether I'm in the house or not. When I'm out and about nothing takes my mind off how I feel, just standing still is too difficult. I do have exercise DVD's but can't do them at the moment as I don't even have the energy to hoover up let alone an exercise DVD.

I tell myself I'll do small things everyday such as walk up and down the stairs every so often just to get moving but I can't bring myself to do it. Yesterday even going in the bath was hard work it usually perks me up but didn't.

AthenaFaeyrn
24-08-16, 09:35
I completely understand every single thing you said. I too feel exactly the same, though I struggle really to do anything without breaking a sweat and feeling generally exhausted. I have absolutely no energy. Medication for my depression and GAD just seems to make this issue worse for me, especially the excess sweating. I hate it. I've gained a lot of weight this year and I feel terrible about it, my self-esteem is rock bottom.

KeeKee
24-08-16, 09:43
It's funny you'd mention excess sweating as I was about to post on the Misc forum about this. I sweat all the time, this morning I've woke up with a very pungent onion smelling sweat (sorry to disgust people). I was in the bath last night and didn't feel overly warm in bed last night either. Also I haven't ate onions recently. I did about a week ago in a Greek salad, but not recently.

That being said you can sweat more on medication I believe. Also weight gain can be caused by medications, I gained 30lbs total on antidepressants without increasing my food intake. I lost 18lbs last year after coming off them but I know that isn't an option for some people.

I'm sorry you feel this way too. Wish there was a medication/supplement that could give you more energy. Caffiene does nothing for me, I feel no effect whatsoever.

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

I also sweat with little activity.

Phuzella
24-08-16, 12:31
I sympathise. Every time I sit down lately I fall asleep. The past few months have been very stressful and now it's letting up a bit I think my body is trying to recover. And I'm sweaty too. When I got off the plane from my trip abroad my daughter met me and when I hugged her she said blimey mum you stink lol.

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-16, 12:44
I sympathise. Every time I sit down lately I fall asleep. The past few months have been very stressful and now it's letting up a bit I think my body is trying to recover. And I'm sweaty too. When I got off the plane from my trip abroad my daughter met me and when I hugged her she said blimey mum you stink lol.

I would have said it's because of joining the mile high club. :winks::D

Phuzella
24-08-16, 12:50
Tut tut Terry :D.