PDA

View Full Version : General anaesthetic anxiety

Evan
24-08-16, 12:54
It looks as if I may have to have surgery, probably under general anaesthesia. I'm not worried about either the surgery (a hernia repair) or the anaesthetic procedure: I have experience of both. I'm not saying I'd prefer a local anaesthetic; I'm happy to be guided by the doctors here. The process of being put to sleep and coming round isn't, in my experience, unpleasant. I'm not worried at the thought of waking up during the operation; that happens, but very rarely. In my experience, the anaesthetists do a very good job. So, if I have to have the operation under anaesthetic, I'll Even so, there is something strange, isn't there, about voluntarily submitting to be deprived of consciousness and autonomy. Does anyone else feel this?

Phuzella
24-08-16, 12:55
Definitely. I hate general anaesthetics.

Evan
24-08-16, 14:32
The odd thing is that I find the idea of it troubling, but can cope with the reality all right.

KeeKee
24-08-16, 15:33
When I had a miscarriage years ago I was almost begging for them to put me to sleep. It was a relief in my case.

Think I'd be terrified now though as I now have Health Anxiety.

Evan
24-08-16, 16:05
Sorry to hear that.

KeeKee
24-08-16, 16:09
Thank you Evan, it was a terrifying experience (the miscarriage not the general anaesthetic). It's my only experience with general anaesthetic though, I'm sure knowing in advance you were going to get it would be a different story.

hanshan
24-08-16, 16:10
I don't feel it is strange, any more than going to sleep each night.

unsure_about_this
24-08-16, 16:28
The only time so far when I had genereal when I was eight when I had a few teeth removing, the dentist I had at the time knew I could not carry 32 adult teeth so had a few teeth taken out in hospital but could go home after I came round.

Apart from dental work, had local when I had a non cancerous lump taken out of my back, this was a NF lump.