PDA

View Full Version : Lymph node in 5 year olds neck worried..

littlemissworry.x
24-08-16, 14:21
I noticed my little girl has a noticeable lump in her neck, ive seen it there before but didnt think anything of it, when she turns her neck i can see it.. i felt it earlier and it moves.. should i be worried?

Gary A
24-08-16, 15:23
I noticed my little girl has a noticeable lump in her neck, ive seen it there before but didnt think anything of it, when she turns her neck i can see it.. i felt it earlier and it moves.. should i be worried?

If it moves it's very unlikely to be anything sinister, but if you truly are worried about it I don't see any harm in taking her to a doctor. As I said though, it really doesn't sound like anything that should overly concern you.

littlemissworry.x
24-08-16, 15:33
Thanks for ur reply, my mum has said the same i just cant seem to shake off worrying about it, il go to a doc to hopefully put my mins at rest x

smiles
24-08-16, 16:30
PLEASE DONT WORRY!!!!
One of my sons and my Daughter had excactly the same thing, it is just the way his body fights off infection, even if they show no signs of being ill, the lymph nodes swell up, its a sign that her body is working well and doing what is should.
Of course pop her along to see you GP but try not to get to worked up about it.
BTW my Son is now 28, my daughter is 6 and both fighting fit!!
x

littlemissworry.x
24-08-16, 16:32
Ive just took her to the docs managed to get an emergency appointment.. he said she has a red ear so has given her antibiotics and is also sending her for a blood test! Anxiety is through the roof!! X

Fishmanpa
24-08-16, 16:36
I understand you being anxious as anyone who is a parent gets anxious if their child gets sick regardless of their age... Comes with the territory. That being said, it sounds like an ear infection, thus the red ear and node. Blood work is a doctor just doing their job... no more, no less. Give the meds a few days to kick in and your little one will be fine :)

Positive thoughts

littlemissworry.x
24-08-16, 16:41
Thank you ive booked the blood test for this friday so i wont have to wait too long for the results, i just keep thinking the worst, she seems fine in herself. Shes always had this gland just seems to have got bigger and is only noticeable when shes turning her head. Hope its nothing x

littlemissworry.x
24-08-16, 20:05
So my daughter has a large gland on her neck, visable to see when she turns her head. Doc said she has a minor ear infection so that may he why but hes sending her for a blood test! Anxiety is through the roof and convinved she is gonna have something seriously wrong...the gland has always been there but seems bigger..

Elen
24-08-16, 20:12
Hi just to say that I have merged your two threads together, hope that is ok with you. Elen

Fishmanpa
24-08-16, 20:17
So my daughter has a large gland on her neck, visable to see when she turns her head. Doc said she has a minor ear infection so that may he why but hes sending her for a blood test! Anxiety is through the roof and convinved she is gonna have something seriously wrong...the gland has always been there but seems bigger..

I understand you being anxious as anyone who is a parent gets anxious if their child gets sick regardless of their age... Comes with the territory. That being said, it sounds like an ear infection, thus the red ear and node. Blood work is a doctor just doing their job... no more, no less. Give the meds a few days to kick in and your little one will be fine :)

Positive thoughts

littlemissworry.x
25-08-16, 16:14
Thank you thats fine, just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience x

littlemissworry.x
26-08-16, 06:22
X

Emad1984
06-03-17, 13:38

How is you daughter now?

hope she's doing well :)

PASchoolSyndrome
06-03-17, 15:27
Sounds like every other child who has an ear infection.

Positive thoughts! Kids are incubus' for disease and get ear infections almost every other week!

robin321
06-03-17, 16:19
My son is 5. He has a very large looking node under his ear, toward the back. When he tilts his head to an angle it is very visible.

We had it scanned 3 years ago. It was fine - just a reactive node. They said he had a matching one on the other side, but it was not close to the skin so was not visible with the naked eye.

Fast forward three years, it is still there. Sometimes (prob when he is sick) it gets bigger. He had his checkup a month ago, and the Dr measured and said it was the same size. He said sometimes kids (or even adults) just get scarred nodes that stay big.

All that to say, I am sure you 5 year old is fine.

Thelegend27
07-03-17, 00:33
A lymph node obsession is so terrible it will drive you nuts. I have 4 small symmetrical moveable nodes and i seen a doctor and was told its nothing to worry about i had a ultrasound of the neck and cbc and all were clear. But its hard to ignore it and stop poking it.

As for your daughter it very well may be a normal reactive lymph node which is harmless. But given the size i would have it examined by the doctor, lymph nodes below 2 cm is usually really low risk for cancer but since hers is protruding it may be bigger than 2 cm which doesn't mean cancer but it does show that it needs to be examined further to rule out anything dangerous.

Also lymphoma is the thing most people worry about when having swollen nodes, but this disease is very treatable and curable it is a dangerous disease especially certian types but when caught early it has a very good outlook.

But statistically swollen nodes in someone under the age of 40 has a 0.4% chance of being cancer and over 40 it has a 4% chance of cancer.

The location also plays a role in determining risk of cancer, nodes beside or under the collarbone have a higher risk of cancer these nodes are typically near the front of the neck just above the collarbone on the left or right. These nodes can signal lymphoma, lung cancer, stomach cancer, neck and head cancers, or cancer of the thorax.

GlassPinata
07-03-17, 01:08
My son is 4. Last year, he had two large, visible, marble-sized lymph nodes in the back of his neck for several months.
I took him to several doctors, but they were not concerned, and these lymph nodes did eventually go away and are now no longer visible. We never figured out an explanation.
According to the doctors we saw, children have much more reactive lymph nodes than adults, and an enlarged- even visible- neck node in a child almost never indicates anything serious.
I mean, certainly you should seek a medical opinion if it is concerning you, but I can assure you- my son's nodes were very large, visible, and frightening... and they turned out to be nothing. They went away. But it did take several months.
Best wishes.