PDA

View Full Version : Relocation anxiety

Seda
25-08-16, 05:07
After 40 years in London, I am planning a move to the Midlands, to be closer to my sister and her family. I live on my own here and my life revolves mostly around work. I do have friends, but they all live in different parts of London, so I do not see them often and feel very isolated at times. My job in itself is OK but I have had problems with my boss and in particular have needed sick leave which he has found difficult to cope with, and as a result my colleagues who feel they are covering for me are less supportive than in the past. I am close to retirement age so a move has many benefits, social, emotional and financial. I will be mortgage free and within ten minutes' drive of three close families. The move seems a logical step towards a good retirement.

But I am full of doubt; one day this seems OK (just) the next impossibly scarey. I cannot sleep, am on antidepressants, can't think straight and fear I am making a massive mistake by selling my house and moving. I've written all the lists of pros and it seems totally sensible and right and well thought through yet I am dreading it. I began taking the citalopram ten days ago. I fear the depression and anxiety won't go away after I have (finally) moved. The house sale and purchase are moving slowly and it is agony. my panic attacks are controlled now by the meds - to an extent - but the negative thoughts are driving me mad and I feel awful and just don't know what to do.

Can anyone help? What do I believe more, the anxiety and panic, or the calm rational thought (rose coloured specs?) of the past years dreaming about this move. I have already pulled out of one house sale and my sister tells me I will only have to go through it all again if I drop this chain again now.

Oosh
25-08-16, 20:49
Sounds like you've thought it through very well. I doubt you're making a wrong decision after such careful thought.

I think if you're not going to have anticipatory anxiety over a move like this you're not going to have it over anything.

I say it's been thought out well, feel the fear and do it anyway. If the boxes are ticked, you'll love it :yesyes:

cjemc
25-08-16, 21:43
40 years in London!!!!!!! That's a long time, my family lived in London for 44 years between 1968 and 2012. I know how much of a shock relocation can be, especially after such a long period of time in one house/area.

georgewing
28-08-16, 06:30
Well dont leave anxiety to control your decizion .Just ask yourself what you do the most ? if you want to move close to your sister then go ahead